18 @ 50

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 24, 2010 in People
Got a few minutes today to play with my 3rd hand( thanks to Shima...and Andy) 50mm F1.4. Ive had it for awhile, but havent had much opportunity to use it for anything very serious.

In my father-in-law's back yard with the 50mm, 50D, a single gelled 580EX through a 45 inch white umbrella via STE2.

808755094_ewoh7-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    woop!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Very very nice ! The photo is great too! Just kidding. Love the lighting how it falls across the guitar as well as her face, nicely done.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Nice lighting and all, but the angle doesn't work for me. Great expression too! Very natural.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Sweeeet! Lovely shot, lovely daughter, lovely smile and lovely post work. Did I say lovely?
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    I love me some 50mm 1.4!

Is this the shot she chose as her Snr Portrait in the end?

Goood to see you around, Jeff, and always a pleasure to see shots of that lovely family of yours!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Jeff sighting!!!

Lovely photo. What aperture did you shoot this at?

I must agree that I don't care for this angle. She seems to be almost falling over. I see why you chose this with the guitar and her head filling the corners, but it doesn't work for me.

I think Andy taught me years ago that people work better tilted counter clockwise. I think he called it the "happy angle".ne_nau.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    I love me some 50mm 1.4!

Is this the shot she chose as her Snr Portrait in the end?

Goood to see you around, Jeff, and always a pleasure to see shots of that lovely family of yours!

ne_nau.gif

We don't really do "a senior portrait" around here. The yearbook pics are done by a contract photog. Our senior portraits are mailed with invitations...at least those that I shoot....and of course I do senior books.

We are working on a book project for her.
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    She gets more beautiful every time I see her..

I saw this on her Facebook and knew even from the icon it was one of your shots :)

Great job, as always.
    clap.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Hi Jeff!
    I'm wowed! Beautiful shot and excellent pp. I'm just curious what you think about the 1.4 vs the 1.8? Obviously it is brighter, and I'm imagining the bokeh to be more round and perfect than the 1.8 hexagonal blade formation, but is it worth the extra $$$$$.. What are your impressions (obviously a great picture, but just wondering what the 1.8 would have done).
    Thanks and great work!
    Kelly
    edited March 18, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Hi Jeff!
    I'm wowed! Beautiful shot and excellent pp. I'm just curious what you think about the 1.4 vs the 1.8? Obviously it is brighter, and I'm imagining the bokeh to be more round and perfect than the 1.8 hexagonal blade formation, but is it worth the extra $$$$$.. What are your impressions (obviously a great picture, but just wondering what the 1.8 would have done).
    Thanks and great work!
    Kelly

The 50mm F1.4 and 1.8 are different in many ways...

The 1.8 is all plastic......lightweight.....the 1.4 is more solid, substantial.

The 1.8 (in my opinion) can produce excellent results....but it's unpredictable focus misses are too inconsistant for anything serious. How frustrating is it to set up an awesome composition and nail the lighting and then view the file after transferring it to a pc and realizing that the camera slightly mis-focused? Its very frustrating, and even more so when you are charging for the service.

Is the 1.4 better in this regard? IDK. I havent used it enough to make judgment. Reviews say that it is like it's 85mm F1.8 brother (which I traded to Shima for the 50mm F1.4) which is indeed a consistantly sharp focuser.....and a super fast focuser. The 50,, F1.4 is NOT as speedy a focuser as the 85mm. It fact, I find it to be a very slow focuser...but I can live with that if I find it to be consistant.

But lets face it.....a lense doesnt perform it's best at it's widest aperture setting....right? So in that regard common sense would say that at F1.8 or F2 the 50mm F1.4 should be way ahead of the 50mm F1.8 in terms of sharpness...and in reality, I doubt Ill be trying to shoot many portraits at F1.4.

Time will tell, but I havent really given it a proper workout. ne_nau.gif

Other samples from the lens....
    683869777_ve4KV-L-1.jpg

612140829_Ffm9n-L.jpg

692076431_mDhT9-L.jpg
    edited March 18, 2010
    All very interesting and logical. I've also heard that the color precision is slightly better with that lens. I'm very anxious to see your work with it. I will be reconsidering a new 50 soon...but first my current desire is the 24-70L. I have heard that they might be coming up with a IS version of this lens? Is that just rumor? I ADORE my 1.8 50 and couldn't live without it. Primes are so wonderful for their crisp results...I just wonder how the 24-70 L will be in this nature? Do you own that one? I'd also love the 70-200L but indoors is mainly why I want the 24-70. I'm on a 1.6 crop though so it isn't truly what it will be for me...I'm upgrading lenses before a new body because I think that makes better sense to spend the money on something that I can use NOW and later. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the 1.4. Those shots look fabulous and I hear you on missed focus with the 1.8. Sometimes I swear I've done everything right and I'm slapped in the face with one for the bin. Not fun--even when you aren't charging and have missed a moment of a lifetime. Thanks Jeff.
    edited March 18, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    All very interesting and logical. I've also heard that the color precision is slightly better with that lens. I'm very anxious to see your work with it. I will be reconsidering a new 50 soon...but first my current desire is the 24-70L. I have heard that they might be coming up with a IS version of this lens? Is that just rumor? I ADORE my 1.8 50 and couldn't live without it. Primes are so wonderful for their crisp results...I just wonder how the 24-70 L will be in this nature? Do you own that one? I'd also love the 70-200L but indoors is mainly why I want the 24-70. I'm on a 1.6 crop though so it isn't truly what it will be for me...I'm upgrading lenses before a new body because I think that makes better sense to spend the money on something that I can use NOW and later. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the 1.4. Those shots look fabulous and I hear you on missed focus with the 1.8. Sometimes I swear I've done everything right and I'm slapped in the face with one for the bin. Not fun--even when you aren't charging and have missed a moment of a lifetime. Thanks Jeff.

If you plan to stick with the 1.6x crop Canon cameras Id caution you against the 24-70 F2.8L. The lack of a 17-24 range will hurt more often than what you gain from 55-70mm in reach. Instead, the 17-55mm F2.8 IS would be a better suited lens for those cameras. It is by far my sharpest and most predictable lens.
    edited March 18, 2010
    I have used the 1.8 in the past, and I just bought the 1.4 a few days ago. The color with the 1.4 is better, but for some reason, I like to use mine on MF. IMHO, MF, for me, is faster than AF.

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited March 19, 2010
    Jeff, you make a great point on the 17-55 F2.8 IS really sounds like a nice idea! On my crop that would get me 27-88 ish. BUT since it is a EF-S can it be used on a non-crop camera later? Say I were upgrade to a 5D? I guess I was thinking that I couldn't use the EF-S with full frames. I don't plan on sticking with the T1i for that much longer. I bought it in August...so at only 7 months I'm already getting ready for change. It definately was great to get my feet wet, but I'm just squirming for something better. I guess though I'm thinking that glass investment right now might be more beneficial and was thinking that the 24-70 L would be a logical investment for the future. *but would really be about 38-110 on my crop --so I would lose out in the tight areas that I'm having trouble shooting with my 50 currently. I suppose I will stick with this camera for another year though...just because I can't rationalize having just bought it and selling it so quickly. If the EF-S 17-55 would work on a full frame later that might be a great idea (for both now and later). I LOVE the idea that it is IS. That really makes it almost a 1.8 with the IS capability. The 24-70L 2.8 isn't IS and I was hoping that that lens would soon offer that feature. Just thinking out loud. Thanks so much for the valuable input! thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    If the EF-S 17-55 would work on a full frame later that might be a great idea (for both now and later).

Alas, no, it doesn't.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Nice shot! I love how we pass down our lenses around here from Andy, to me, to you :) I'm still using / loving that 85 1.8 I got from you, though probably after I get back from my trip next week I'm gonna be picking up a used 85 1.2 from someone else here on the forums... I use the 85 so much, I'm really wanted to step it up and finally have the funding to do so!

Anyhoo, gotta love how photographic your daughters are, they always work as great models for you! Great to see you putting that lens to good use :D
    edited March 19, 2010
    Shima wrote:
    Nice shot! I love how we pass down our lenses around here from Andy, to me, to you :) I'm still using / loving that 85 1.8 I got from you, though probably after I get back from my trip next week I'm gonna be picking up a used 85 1.2 from someone else here on the forums... I use the 85 so much, I'm really wanted to step it up and finally have the funding to do so!

Anyhoo, gotta love how photographic your daughters are, they always work as great models for you! Great to see you putting that lens to good use :D

Id appreciate a PM or email when you decide to put it up for sale.:D
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Id appreciate a PM or email when you decide to put it up for sale.:D

no problem-o, will let you know, probably going to be a week or two until I pick up the 85 1.2 first
    edited March 21, 2010
    Shima, please check your PM, I wrote you something about the 30D.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    late to the game, but the portrait is lovely! i love the angle, and the lighting is wonderful.
    Kristen