lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited March 14, 2010 in Street and Documentary
808044104_TqwiF-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• KianKian Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    nice. if i may ask, how did you create that "grainy" effect in your photo?
    Visit my smugsite: http://kian.smugmug.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Kian wrote:
    nice. if i may ask, how did you create that "grainy" effect in your photo?

Hi Kian,
    This is a built-in setting on my beloved Olympus E620--however I now shoot RAW and process some of my shots through the same filter on my Olympus Masters pp program--this allows me to mess w/ the exposure and contrast some--it's pretty high contrast, but when I shoot RAW I can at least tweak it a bit.

I don't post this way as much as I used to--it's a love/hate thing for some viewers on this forum--I happen to LOVE it, but I'm still relatively new and trying out different methods of processing. I still go back to the high contrast every once in a while though--can't help myself.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

BTW shot with a 25mm f2.8 zuiko lens on a moving train.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    I find this shot very appealing, Liz. I love to see the strides you make in trying different approaches. Keep it up.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    The way you've framed the composition with the two musicians is outstanding. Good catch.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Another cool shot Liz. I love your high contrast work. Keep 'em coming. clap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    That's a terrific photo, Liz! It really shows that you can run into almost anyone down there. I like the PP also - it gives that gritty feel of the subway.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    [

Very nice catch, Liz - and very nicely composed.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lifeLikelifeLike Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Love the grain!

This shot makes me miss NY :cry Feels like home ...
    ~lifelike.smugmug.com

not life but lifelike
  • mikepennmikepenn Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    I like the photo and the contrast between the two musicians but if possible I would like to see it straightened with the pole in the middle unless it throws off the composition.
    edited March 14, 2010
    I find this shot very appealing, Liz. I love to see the strides you make in trying different approaches. Keep it up.

Tom

Thank you Tom:)
    It's amazing how many different ways you can process a b&w shot--I had no idea! but I still have my favorite---and it's this kind.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    The way you've framed the composition with the two musicians is outstanding. Good catch.

Thanks Tony.
    I guess since they were musicians, I wasn't nervous at all about getting up close and shooting---or maybe Jen is influencing me!

I also wanted to make sure I got the rest of the train car in the shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Another cool shot Liz. I love your high contrast work. Keep 'em coming. clap.gif

Thanks Patti--glad to see a face to go with the name (your Avatar--very nice).

You know I will post more of these every once in a while, while I learn to process other b&w styles. Glad to hear you like the high contrast--but if you've noticed, I've tweaked it some so it's not quite so extreme.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    moose135 wrote:
    That's a terrific photo, Liz! It really shows that you can run into almost anyone down there. I like the PP also - it gives that gritty feel of the subway.

Thanks Moose135. I was lucky to have a relatively uncrowded train on the commute home--hard to take shots sometimes when you are packed in like a sardine--don't have the luxury of the LIRR:D .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Very nice catch, Liz - and very nicely composed.clap.gifclap.gif

Thank you B.D.--I appreciate that. Looks like I'm learning.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    lifeLike wrote:
    Love the grain!

This shot makes me miss NY :cry Feels like home ...

I would miss this city very very much if I moved anywhere else--no other place like it for sure.

Thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    mikepenn wrote:
    I like the photo and the contrast between the two musicians but if possible I would like to see it straightened with the pole in the middle unless it throws off the composition.

Hi Mikepenn,

I dont' have the ability to straighten a shot. I tried to crop the left for the pole to be more in the middle as per your suggestion, but it made the tilt of the pole that much more obvious ne_nau.gif .

But here it is

808044104_TqwiF-XL-1.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 14, 2010
    Hi Mikepenn,

I dont' have the ability to straighten a shot.

The tilt doesn't bother me. I don't expect a subway car to be level most of the time. ne_nau.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Hi Mikepenn,

I dont' have the ability to straighten a shot. I tried to crop the left for the pole to be more in the middle as per your suggestion, but it made the tilt of the pole that much more obvious ne_nau.gif .

But here it is

808044104_TqwiF-XL-1.jpg

It doesn't bother me either Liz. LR2 is what I use when I need to straighten something (the norm with me).
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 14, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    The tilt doesn't bother me. I don't expect a subway car to be level most of the time. ne_nau.gif

Good point. Glad it works for you.
    Thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    It doesn't bother me either Liz. LR2 is what I use when I need to straighten something (the norm with me).

Thank you Patti.
    I'm still using picnik--but guess what? the premium package $24 bucks allows for burning, dodging, curves, cloning, plus all the basics like exposure etc. Sadly it's missing a straightening tool:(
    Liz A.
    _________