Dungeness

DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
edited March 16, 2010 in Holy Macro
Posed my dinner before devouring.. any lighting advice? Too dark? Too light?

_MG_8909-1-1.jpg

crab2-1.jpg

crab-1.jpg

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    they're interesting, but the lighting is a little flat, something I struggle with in my own macro work. Hopefully a flash and a bracket will find me in the next month or so.
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    what can I do to help the flat situation?

I used natural light from a kitchen window
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    diffuse it.......reflect it........I do not like silver reflectors to me they are dang near the same as direct sun or direct flash.......there are times that silver might have to be used........but I do not like it........forthis subject a gold reflector would have worked great.........or a softwhite/gold mix or just white...........everyone should get 2 sets of 5-n-1 reflectors........2 because there will be a lot of times you want the same color or type of light from 2 directions..................

Another scenario .........diffused light falling off to a shadow......or less DOF....pick one eye to be focus point........this type of shooting is a real playground cause it is totally in your control right up to the point that you toss the scraps into the trash bag or bury it in your backyard to return to the Elements from where it camemwink.gif recycle ya know
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 15, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    diffuse it.......reflect it........I do not like silver reflectors to me they are dang near the same as direct sun or direct flash.......there are times that silver might have to be used........but I do not like it........forthis subject a gold reflector would have worked great.........or a softwhite/gold mix or just white...........everyone should get 2 sets of 5-n-1 reflectors........2 because there will be a lot of times you want the same color or type of light from 2 directions..................

Another scenario .........diffused light falling off to a shadow......or less DOF....pick one eye to be focus point........this type of shooting is a real playground cause it is totally in your control right up to the point that you toss the scraps into the trash bag or bury it in your backyard to return to the Elements from where it camemwink.gif recycle ya know

I don't own any reflectors.. but

I am thinking I need to purchase indoor lighting equipment and get a new crab
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    I don't own any reflectors.. but

I am thinking I need to purchase indoor lighting equipment and get a new crab

A set of reflectors (32 inch round) will run betwixt $15 and up on ebay .......here is $39 set at B&H

Can you get really good crab in Oregon:D?????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 15, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    A set of reflectors (32 inch round) will run betwixt $15 and up on ebay .......here is $39 set at B&H

Ahhhh well sounds like I am heading to get the set....thank you so much, I am not used to shooting indoors at all.

when the color is *flat* does this mean there are no shadows?

The crab is excellent in Oregon, especially when cooked in Louisiana crab boil mwink.gif
    edited March 15, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:

Ahhhh well sounds like I am heading to get the set....thank you so much, I am not used to shooting indoors at all.

when the color is *flat* does this mean there are no shadows?

The crab is excellent in Oregon, especially when cooked in Louisiana crab boil mwink.gif
    edited March 15, 2010
    I use pieces of foam board or white paper as reflectors in a pinch.
    edited March 15, 2010
    Thanks Wicked.....

I really don't want to spend tons of money on inside equipment, I love outdoors and landscapes.. I suppose I need some things out in the field... thats a whole nother paycheck.
    edited March 16, 2010
    I'm right with you on the spendy thing. I probably will end up with a folding reflector, but since I only need it for macro it will be a 12" model and those are like $10.
    edited March 16, 2010
    I'm right with you on the spendy thing. I probably will end up with a folding reflector, but since I only need it for macro it will be a 12" model and those are like $10.

Now thats a thought.. It's hard to know what to buy when you have had no need for these things ...

this site helps