Marginal Adventures

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited March 19, 2010 in Landscapes
A little exploring;

Sometimes you just have to pick a spot and see what you see.
01-798-j6882.jpg
A dry lake (playa) in an overlooked basin.
Where to start? Pick a spot that looks interesting.
02-798-r6827.jpg
These appear to be inactive dunes. Active sand dunes do not have so much vegetation as the sand hasn't stabilized.

As I wander, I wonder- Are these just sand dunes? -Probably.
03-398-r6834.jpg
But then again, maybe at one time they were a sandy beach.
04-398-j6831.jpg
These shells are from helisoma trivolis, typical freshwater snails found in many aquariums. Odd being so far out in the dry desert. However, they are probably remnants from a time when this playa was filled with water perennially--A condition which ended about 4,000 years ago. There were also pieces of Anodonta californica, a freshwater mussel, lying about.

Arroweed grows where the water table isn't too far below the surface.
05-490-j-arrowweed-1231.jpg
Indians would use the straight branches of the plant to make arrows. Possibly, up until whitemen took control of the area, Indians may have either lived here (in wetter times), or visited the area to make use of its resources (mesquite beans, arroweed, hunting small game, etc).

Ah yes, a sign of the indigenous people.
06-501-j6839.jpg
Something interesting about a shard like this is that the local indians had neither the materials or technology to make or fire these vessels. Pottery and shards when analyzed may have come from origins several hundred miles away. Archaeologists use this evidence to help define possible trade routes and associations between the desert Peoples.

Life persists.
07-398-j6832.jpg
Tracks of a raven and a snake. The raven tracks were pocked by marks from raindrops, an indication that it had passed before the rain occuring two days before. The line in the sand from the snake was after the rain, and smoothly scribed in the sand.

And finally...
08-479-j6869.jpg
This is what I call a "Juxtaposition of Jerk." Someone left their trash OEM monitor out there probably thinking it was the funniest thing, ever. Not only did I not even get out of my truck to shoot this, I didn't even bother to turn off the engine.

However, after all was said and done, it was a beautiful day to explore this and other bits of the natural and human history I had found on my mini-adventures in the basin.
-
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Looks like a great wander even though it was spoiled by trash. You make me wish I lived near the desert.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Interesting post Walter thumb.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Beautiful series! #3 and 4 are my favorite. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Looks like a great adventure to me, Walter! Really like the 3rd image, but the whole story is interesting! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Thank you WD, Dan, Mahesh & Chris.

The last couple months I've been having quite a good time doing my own thing like this. Nothing big deal, but relaxing and interesting to me.

I've reposted this along with some other junk on one of my long neglected web sites that is sort of a 'half blog,' the Desert Gazette. It deserves better than I've been giving it.

This will probably be my last photo post for awhile. I'm be volunteering as a tour guide at the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve this spring and hope to use the opportunity to think things through, and get into nature without so much always being behind the camera.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Nice series, I like the couds in #3,
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
    edited March 15, 2010
    Joashots wrote:
    Nice series, I like the couds in #3,

Thank you Joash.
    Anybody can do it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    I enjoyed this whole post very much, Walter--it reached me on multiple levels! I hope your time off from the camera is fulfilling for you as you enjoy nature without worrying about exposure comp and ISO and all that stuff. mwink.gif I do hope you'll come back to posting soon, as I do enjoy your work and your words.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 19, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    I enjoyed this whole post very much, Walter--it reached me on multiple levels! I hope your time off from the camera is fulfilling for you as you enjoy nature without worrying about exposure comp and ISO and all that stuff. mwink.gif I do hope you'll come back to posting soon, as I do enjoy your work and your words.

Cheers,
    Lauren

Thank you Lauren. I took the last few days and scaled way back, although I find I'm in this much deeper than I thought. I skipped a few sunsets, but there's no one else around during sunrises :) I have also found that by getting my head into something else during the day those sunrise sessions have been very much enjoyable.
    Anybody can do it.