Model hedashot

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited March 17, 2010 in People
Sister in law getting into modelling and possibly photography.

809874868_a9Cij-XL.jpg

809873824_YEPLM-XL.jpg

809858848_onh6R-XL.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    A couple observations to help: The first and third. The light needs to be higher in the frame....in other words, for better description, the 3rd....notice how her throat and chest are brighter than her face. Also, more pronounced angle, more neck showing, bigger eyes (I tell my subjects to exaggerate their expressions as it may "feel" over the top for them but makes for a more interesting portrait).

Headshots should make a statement about one's personality. It is far more important to capture that than an exercise in exposure or focus. Strive for dynamics and a powerful message you wish your photograph to display. Good headshots are not easy. Planning and posing will improve the keeper rate.

Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    I agree with the light needing to be higher. I am still waiting for my first light stand so I am using tripods for lightstands. The ceiling was also low so I bounced the light off the ceiling. I used my foam scoop style diffuser as a gobo, but that directed too much light on the back wall, should have snooted that light.

Also once I got it onto the computer and could see it better I noticed that the bottom light was brighter then the top light. This emphasized the line under her eyes and to a lesser degree the collar bone. I don't mind the little shadow on the collar bone (?) at the base of the neck, but had to lighten and hide the lines under her eyes a bit.

Overall I am happy with first attempt though :) and thanks for the advice and comments.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    A couple observations to help: The first and third. The light needs to be higher in the frame....in other words, for better description, the 3rd....notice how her throat and chest are brighter than her face. Also, more pronounced angle, more neck showing, bigger eyes (I tell my subjects to exaggerate their expressions as it may "feel" over the top for them but makes for a more interesting portrait).

Headshots should make a statement about one's personality. It is far more important to capture that than an exercise in exposure or focus. Strive for dynamics and a powerful message you wish your photograph to display. Good headshots are not easy. Planning and posing will improve the keeper rate.

Good call Swartzy

I thought the light direction used here overly shortened the chin.

It appears a reflector was used from below...perhaps.

Along with the tips above....

Instead of having her look at the camera...ask her to look a few inches above the camera. I often place my left hand on top of me shoe mounted STE2 and raise a finger and ask for them to look at my finger rather than the lens. When shooting from slightly above your subject this will gain you some VERY wide open eyes. "Canoe" eyes !thumb.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Also-- simplify your makeup. It should look very, very natural for headshots or beauty shots. A great MUA will make it look like your model is barely even wearing makeup. Here's a sample of what I'm talking about (though these are technically beauty shots, not headshots but that's fodder for a different thread) :

117606584.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Good call Swartzy

I thought the light direction used here overly shortened the chin.

It appears a reflector was used from below...perhaps.

Along with the tips above....

Instead of having her look at the camera...ask her to look a few inches above the camera. I often place my left hand on top of me shoe mounted STE2 and raise a finger and ask for them to look at my finger rather than the lens. When shooting from slightly above your subject this will gain you some VERY wide open eyes. "Canoe" eyes !thumb.gif

I had a 33" silver umbrella pretty much at her feet. So it was closer and had a more effecient bounce than the ceiling and this is what caused the brighter light from below. Did not catch that until I had them at home on the computer.

Later on I noticed that if I had her look a little above and sometimes to the side as well i had better catchlights in the eyes. But thanks for better explaining what I ended up doing and help me to understand why it was working.

Dogwood, I agree about the make up but she does her own, and well... Generally a little too much for my tastes as well. At least a little too obvious is a better word :)

Got lots of great ideas and suggestions for next time :)