Shy

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited March 17, 2010 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 14, 2010
    Good shot, Dan, but there are a couple of things you could do to improve it. First, lose the selective color. In this case, the woman does a fine job of calling attention to herself without it. Second, crop from the left side and maybe from the bottom to simplify the frame, which will make the guy in the upper left more immediately noticeable.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Thanks Richard for the feedback.:D I like the SC.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    lol--shy he says.

I too want to see more of the guy off in the corner--the lurker/stalker looking guy--that makes the shot for me. I like how he's standing off alone, while the rest of the place is crowded.

I agree with Richard about the selective coloring--but I can see why you were tempted to process it this way.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 14, 2010
    Sounds like you guys would prefer a crop like this:

810166765_Csked-L.jpg
  • ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    I consider that crop to be a great improvement.

And I'll add another vote for ditching the selective color. Hate it (in every instance, ever).
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    ChiShutter wrote:

And I'll add another vote for ditching the selective color. Hate it (in every instance, ever).

I like the square crop--nicely done. It focuses my attention on the two main subjects. Is it me, or does she look even more voluptuous in the new crop?

Much improved, in my opinion.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    The new crop is great and I like your tongue in cheek title. Like Liz, I understand your temptation to do the SC but I agree that B&W is the way to go with this one.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 14, 2010
    ChiShutter wrote:

Then don't use it in your photos.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Nice leathers rolleyes1.gif

Oh and I don't like the second crop at all. I would like to see as much of the subject
    as possible, as I feel her outfit as well as her figure add to the overall image.

As far as SC goes, your choice no biggy to me, in fact in this image I don't even
    notice it rolleyes1.gif :wow
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    I think it is extremely likely that Dan was aware going in that SC isn't a favourite approach in this forum. That aside, my observation is that SC can lead to not driving the B&W elements to their potential. In this case, I think the contrast and black points could be stronger. So much grey.

Otherwise, I love the second crop. clap.gif
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Renaissance Fair? I like the cropped version, AND the SC.:D
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Very nice shot Dan.
    I've got to agree with Benjamin in not liking the crop, I find the juxtaposition of the woman with the people on the lhs of the image far more interesting than the interaction of the lurker. Indeed in the crop he actually appears to be looking past her rather than at her.

As for the SC imho it actually makes this a very nice shot. I know that SC is frowned on in street photography but when you take away the statement of the red-hair you are simply left with a dark haired woman in a costume, a nice capture but the SC raises it from a nice capture to a very nice photograph.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Sounds like you guys would prefer a crop like this:

810166765_Csked-L.jpg

Actually, the far more interesting crop, and appropriate given what we saw in the whole frame, would be to eliminate the guy on the right. The other folks in the original shot seemed to be totally ignoring her, which is much more intriguing. On the other hand, what do we have here, and what would we have without the selective color? A woman with big breasts and a bunch of people not staring at her. mwink.gif

And what is the point of the selective color, by the way? I understand that you love it, but...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited March 15, 2010
    My Thoughts
    1. Firstly, I appreciate the feedback from everyone.thumb.gifthumb.gif

2. I did NOT know that the PJ forum had an inherent bias against SC, but I do know that this bias exists across dgrin as a whole. I find it similar to the overall bias against HDR, that many have.

3. Everyone has an opinion when it comes to art, but some think their opinion is the truth. Opinions vary on the photo that I submitted, and all photos. There is no 'right way' when it comes to art. (I know you all know this already):D

4. There is an intolerance toward SC on the part of many at dgrin such that "I hate anything with SC". This demonstrates, in my view, a lack of critical analysis in favor of following the conversational drift of "experts" that know better. There is nothing inherently "wrong" nor "right" about SC or any other artistic form of expression.

5. Under my avatar it says "coachable", and I am. What I resent is when some are sure that there perceptions are 'the truth'.

6. I have honestly looked at other perspectives, based upon your feedback, and indeed posted the suggested crop. I often (almost always) make changes to my landscape and wildlife work based upon the excellent feedback that is provided in those forums. I AM "very coachable", but in this case I simply prefer my original composition, SC and all.:D

809985519_kMwFC-L-2.jpg

7. BD, your crop opinion, which of course you are entitled to have, would totally defeat what the artist was trying to portray.

8. Michswiss, you provided an astute reason for avoiding SC, and I will go back and look at the b&w conversion to see if I would prefer some more contrast. Thank you:D

9. AndMan, you and I share the exact same opinion on this photo, and obviously WE are both correct rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:

5. Under my avatar it says "coachable", and I am. What I resent is when some are sure that there perceptions are 'the truth'.

7. BD, your crop opinion, which of course you are entitled to have, would totally defeat what the artist was trying to portray.

l

I certainly understand #7. My point, however, is that based on what I am observing in the fully image, what you are trying to portray is something that is quite different from the actual "truth" of the event. What I see with my aging eyes are 12 - twelve - people paying less than no attention to the young woman displaying her breasts, and 1 - one - many apparently staring at her. mwink.gif But then that's just my opinion.mwink.gif

As to #5 - You say you are "teachable." That being the case you might want to consider why there is, as you perceive it, a prejudice against spot color not just in this forum, but across the breadth of Dgrin (I don't know that I'd agree with on on the latter, by the way.) I doubt it has anything to do with people perceiving "truth," but rather many people - certainly not all - believing that spot color is a gimmick that tends to detract from images more than it tends to improve them. It may also be that many people see it as something of a crutch, used to prop up weak images. Given that the image you posted is an intriguing one, I'd put it in the former category, rather than in the latter - what I see when I look at the image is that weird henna patch, rather than the story I assume you want me to see. But, again, that's my opinion. Period.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited March 17, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Nice leathers rolleyes1.gif

Oh and I don't like the second crop at all. I would like to see as much of the subject
    as possible, as I feel her outfit as well as her figure add to the overall image.

As far as SC goes, your choice no biggy to me, in fact in this image I don't even
    notice it rolleyes1.gif :wow

Thanks Ben. thumb.gifrolleyes1.gif