buying a new camera need help!! No idea what im doing.

FR8ZillaFR8Zilla Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 17, 2010 in Cameras
ok... I became interested in potography when I purchased an Olympus E500 ( crappy Camera ) for Real Estate use. I loved habing the 150mm lens and taking pics of my family and friends and even sporting events. I found out that photography is very therapeutic. I sold my camera and I am ready to buy something a little better without breaking the bank. I am looking at the following: Canon 40d Canon 50d or the Nikon d80 or d90.

Everyone keeps telling me the 40 or 50d is the way to go.... I am interstes in the 4+ fps and ability of taking some decent action shots. I also know that you need decent glass and will be getting something longer to go with the base lens that comes with the camera. Am I forgetting anything? I can get all of the cameras above for under 1k and that is my target goal.

Thanks so much for any advice

Comments

• paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Go try them out. They feel different. I shoot with a 50D and love it. I find both the ergonomics and the controls very good. The 40D is very similar, but the 50D has a number of valuable additional features. The 40D has less noise, but from the tests I have seen, the difference is very small.

When you start looking at glass, read reviews and post questions about specific lenses (or types) you are considering.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 15, 2010
    You mention both "sports" and "action" photography. Please elaborate.

Daytime/outdoor sports?
    Nightime/indoor sports?
    Surfing?
    Motorsports?

etc.?

Do you want to do these things for payment?

Please tell as much as you can about your wishes and needs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Either way, Nikon or Canon, you definitely won't go wrong. The big thing I find different between the two is the interface. Find out which one feels natural to you.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!