Need Camera Purchase Advise

rascalinarascalina Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 30, 2010 in Cameras
I have a 3 yr old Canon powershot SD 700 IS. My subjects have been my two kids aged 3.5 yrs and now a 4 month old. I have no desire to take up photography as a profession, but i would like to take wicked shots of my kids. I can't afford anything like a pro cam anyways. I am looking for something in the middle range. Between my powershot and a SLR/DSLR.

I was shopping for a G9 or a G10 back when they first came out. I would like something in the 300-450 range. I would really appreciate any ideas and/or suggestions. With the 2 kids I don't have the time to do the research, plus when you're not familiar with the lingo and all the features/tech terms the world of cameras can be overwhelming for us novices. If you guys could recommend a few good options that could get me started.

I would like something with a higher optical zoom + a wider angle lens than what I have right now. And something that takes good pics on subjects that are on the go. Also something semi portable.

Please H.....E......L........P me coz I don't know what I am doing.... :dunno

Comments

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Well, honestly, there are a heck of a lot of options. My personal choice for what you are looking for is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. It has 12X optical zoom, 10MP, image stabilization and plenty of other features. It usually costs $350 but is currently being promoted and is selling for $250. It can be used as a simple point and shoot or you can customize more. It also has 720P HD video. I love mine and find it very portable but powerful. It captures better quality in some situations then my DSLR. Lumix makes very high quality lenses, some of the best.
  • rascalinarascalina Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 26, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote:
    Well, honestly, there are a heck of a lot of options. My personal choice for what you are looking for is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. It has 12X optical zoom, 10MP, image stabilization and plenty of other features. It usually costs $350 but is currently being promoted and is selling for $250. It can be used as a simple point and shoot or you can customize more. It also has 720P HD video. I love mine and find it very portable but powerful. It captures better quality in some situations then my DSLR. Lumix makes very high quality lenses, some of the best.

What is your opinion about a G11 ? Although it doesn't meet the optical zoom requirement, the rest of it sounds pretty decent. Sorry I am kinda partial to canon. Never tried a panasonic, so I have no idea what to expect. I wonder where I can go to do a hands on comparison ?
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    The G11 & S90 are the cream of the crop of the Canon P&S lineup. They are limited by zoom but the image quality is really nice. The g11 feels like a real camera too. It has a nice size and weight to it. It also can use a hotshoe flash. The S90 has the same sensor and a faster f2 lens. It is also really small. But is missing the hotshoe, viewfinder and a few other things I can't remember.

Go to DPReview.com. They have great reviews and tests.
  • Jay25Jay25 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Go on craigslist.org, photo and video. You might see a good deal on a used camera. I picked up a Canon 10D with a lense on it. It was 35-80mm lens 3.5 for $225.00. Here is a sample photo that my 9 year old snap. Clik on the thread link. Clik on the photo theres more photos on there. If your not wanting to throw alot of money away, Im sure you can pick up a Canon or even a Nikon for under $350.00. LIke I said I picked this cheap o 10D for $225.00.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=163277

thats my thread right there. Ask the guys about the Nikon bodies, they can direct you better then I can. I only know D300 and D700!!headscratch.gif
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Zerodog wrote:
    The G11 & S90 are the cream of the crop of the Canon P&S lineup. They are limited by zoom but the image quality is really nice. The g11 feels like a real camera too. It has a nice size and weight to it. It also can use a hotshoe flash. The S90 has the same sensor and a faster f2 lens. It is also really small. But is missing the hotshoe, viewfinder and a few other things I can't remember.

The big thing you can't remember is HD VIDEO. S90 and G11 don't have it. For anyone with small kids this is a dealbreaker. Such a shame, the S90 would be the perfect p&s otherwise.

For now the most capably spec'd camera is the Panasonic LX3. Unless you want a submersible, shock proof camera, then you're looking at the Panasonic TS2.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    For now the most capably spec'd camera is the Panasonic LX3.

But don't forget that the OP wants range of zoom. The LX3 is only 2.5X and stays pretty wide.

About the G11, I would recommend it and it does a great job. But... With kids, it is always nice to have good HD video and you mentioned wanting a higher range of zoom. It didn't sound like you would ultimately get the most out of a G11 for what it is made for from what you said. If you ever want to play around more with your photography with more manual control though, the G11 is a great option if you are alright with the lack of HD and zoom range.
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    G11
    Spent the weekend playing with my Dad's G11 and it takes great pictures. I have a 5 month old and it was very handy to have around. The g11 didn't miss many action shots and has great low light shooting capabilities. I enjoyed shooting it, and if I was in the market for a pocket cam, I would be giving it a serious look.
  • engrmarianoengrmariano Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    agree with S90 & G11. but for your purpose, i think S90 is better.
    5D II + BG- E6 • 550D
    18-55 IS • 15 2.8 Fisheye • 24-70 2.8L • 50 1.8 II • 70-200 2.8L IS • 100 2.8L Macro IS • Kenko 1.4X & 2X
    580EX II • 270EX