Options

A couple of closeups

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited August 24, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here, he was doing the mantis walk towards a bug on the weed. He did get lunch, but I haven't processed those pictures yet. He is originally walking upside down. I tried rotating this shot and didn't like anything more than the original. A bit busy, but though I'd share anyway.
47370058.jpg

And here is a bug skeleton that I found while weeding. I used a flash from about 2 o'clock position, ambient light from the front. Reminds me of a sci-fi movie of years past. Not sure what it's from.
47370673.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Chris

Note: Both were shot with 20D, 100mm f/2.8 macro with flash.

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Both great shots Chris- wish we had mantis's here (I think).
    That exoskeleton shot looks like a wierd kind of spacesuit or something- good find.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Sweet.
    I love looking at mantisthumb.gif
    The 2nd is awesomeclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2005
    Thanks Brian,
    I have a few more shots of the mantis eating it's prey (missed the capture). He was rather large and was longer than the palm of my hand. I still have the exoskeleton and might just take some more shots for fun.

My macros have seen a marked improvement after learning a few techniques from you and the other macroholics. Just a thanks:D.

Thanks for the comments,
    Chris

• Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    The first is an amazing angle--the mantis gets lost in the green--great camoflogue.

The second is out of this world--truly an alien being.

Michal
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    Mantises are always cool. They never seem frightened - they are truly an apex predator in their world. Here is one giving me the eye....

11004751-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hey Path,
    That's a cool shot. I had put my mantis on another plant and can't find him now:cry. I would love to shoot more of them, very fascinating creatures. The eyes are also quite strange. They have the little black dot that seems to move, but I can't figure it out by using photos. Too strange. I love to watch them hunt and their technique does work. One evening, we had a cricket in our house. I got on all fours and did the mantis stalk; the cricket never moved an inch. Easy to catch them that way and it provides a really good laugh for the spouse. My wife had to sit down because she was laughing so hard. Funny but effective.

Thanks for adding your mantis as I always like looking at these buggers.
    Chris

• Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Mantises never seem in a hurry or alarmed - mine would watch me as it slowly crawled up a plant stem. No fear - just calm, collected examination of me and my camera.

Someone here posted a pic of a humminbird that was caught and eaten by a mantis. I found that surprising - I did not think a hummer would fare that badly at the claws of a mantis.

I have a few more shots of that mantis here http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/27799/6

Your insect spacesuit shot is great!

• Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    You have a cool macro gallery, lots of butterflys. You must be very sneaky as I can't get near these things. I dig your B&W mantisthumb.gif. Looks like your mantis was rather large, kinda like mine. It would fill most of the hand lengthwise, body being about 4" or so.

That mantis must have been very large or the hummer very small; quite a remarkable feat.

Also, I've never seen a dog that small before that it had to be posted in a macro gallerybiggrinbounce2.gif. Nice shots, you made him look bigger that what he/she must have been:D.

Still got the space suit that I will play with once these challenges are over and I have more time.

Nice Gallery and thanks for sharing,
    Chris

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hey Chris,
    The skeleton is very cool. Nice work.
    clap.gif
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    You have a cool macro gallery, lots of butterflys. You must be very sneaky as I can't get near these things. I dig your B&W mantisthumb.gif. Looks like your mantis was rather large, kinda like mine. It would fill most of the hand lengthwise, body being about 4" or so.

That mantis must have been very large or the hummer very small; quite a remarkable feat.

Also, I've never seen a dog that small before that it had to be posted in a macro gallerybiggrinbounce2.gif. Nice shots, you made him look bigger that what he/she must have been:D.

Still got the space suit that I will play with once these challenges are over and I have more time.

Nice Gallery and thanks for sharing,
    Chris

I had actually forgotten my canine friends were in that gallery - I have moved them to Two Legged and Four Legged Gallery. Glad you enjoyed the macros. They're lots of fun to shoot.

The mantis was large - about 4 inches overall. The mantis capturing a hummer can be seen here - NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!

http://www.investorshub.com/boards/read_msg.asp?message_id=7348658
    :):

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005

And here is a bug skeleton that I found while weeding. I used a flash from about 2 o'clock position, ambient light from the front. Reminds me of a sci-fi movie of years past. Not sure what it's from.

Very Cool.

It was an English Sci-Fi film called "Quartermass and the Pit."

I saw it as a kid and thought it was cool. I saw it again as an adult and thought, not so cool. I hate seeing movies again like that. It ruins a good memory.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Can I play too?
    Here is a Mantis I shot a couple days ago. I took a shot looked at the preview and looked back and he had grabbed a fly I didn't even see and was already eating it. They are soo quick, but soo still. They are teh only insect I have ever noticed actively tracking me with their eyes, creapy.
    32776515-L.jpg
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    Yes, you can play too. That's a really cool shot. I wish you had gotten more fly in there as the colors contrast nicely with the mantis and complement the background.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Yes, you can play too. That's a really cool shot. I wish you had gotten more fly in there as the colors contrast nicely with the mantis and complement the background.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris
    I tried to but I had a lot of stuff in the way and brush hanging over him so I was limited in shooting angles while still getting light to him. I only have the hot shoe, no external mounting brackets yet for the flash. This had the most fly in it out of all the shots I took.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Those are cool shots Higg and all. That skeleton is cool!

Love the Mantis, tried to hatch them a few times here. Only got them one year, and I absolutely loved tham! Neat bug, cleans up the garden too of aphids and bad bugs. They are so friendly. I ended up with 6 of them, and they paired up, apparently they mate for life. Wish I had had a camera then! They aren't natural species around here.

gluwater wrote:
    I tried to but I had a lot of stuff in the way and brush hanging over him so I was limited in shooting angles while still getting light to him. I only have the hot shoe, no external mounting brackets yet for the flash. This had the most fly in it out of all the shots I took.

Nick
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Netgarden wrote:
    Those are cool shots Higg and all. That skeleton is cool!

Love the Mantis, tried to hatch them a few times here. Only got them one year, and I absolutely loved tham! Neat bug, cleans up the garden too of aphids and bad bugs. They are so friendly. I ended up with 6 of them, and they paired up, apparently they mate for life. Wish I had had a camera then! They aren't natural species around here.
    Hi Linda,
    Actually, I don't recall seeing them down there either when I was growing up; definitely not the big ones at least. But then, those brain cells died a long time ago so I can't really rely on my memory.

Thanks for the comments,
    Chris

Thanks also for stopping by my gallery. What's funny is the shot you commented on was done with a floppy for the IR filter on the V3. I've always liked that spot (lunchtime nappy spot) and have LOTS of shots from there.

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Chris that skeleton is really cool. Great findthumb.gif

regards
    alan