Boston?

rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited August 16, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm looking to take a few environmental portrait shots to build my portfolio. Any great suggestions in Boston?
website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.

Comments

• ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    rgphoto wrote:
    I'm looking to take a few environmental portrait shots to build my portfolio. Any great suggestions in Boston?

All around South Station is good for building lines

Behind South Station
    814065907_a4H8j-L.jpg

Infront
    814065748_B2MWV-L.jpg

The financial district is also nice. If you're looking for something a little less urban and more green, the gardens and common are nice, but usually crowded. Not very far away, running a good length of Commonwealth Ave is a pleasant walking park that's always picturesque, and the nearby Esplanade has some great "Tim Burton" trees as I call them, not to mention reflecting pools, views of the Charles River, and lots of benches and places to pose people.

Hope that helps!
    Please Look At My Photography!
    http://www.AndyCalnan.com/
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Thanks Andy!

I did a shoot out on the pier by the Aquarium last week with great results! I've been keeping the commons areas down by the Charles in mind. Thanks for the great suggestions!

-Rob

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

• fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Not being from there, I don't know the name of it, but there is that nice outdoor shopping center near the waterfront. Oh what's the name of that place? it's over by the bridge memorial of the Boston Tea Party.

Then again, Fenway Park is always nice.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Feneuil Hall ! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Mount Auburn Cemetery is beautiful, though you may want to wait a few weeks for the trees to green up. Same with the Chestnut Hill Reservoir. Or if it's a nice day, take a round-trip on the HarborExpress ferry to Quincy and back, and get some cityscapes from the water.
    edited March 27, 2010
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions so far.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Boston
    There are several "wonderful" (meaning very photographable) cemeteries in and around Boston central (downtown) within easy walking distance or each other (easily found on any tourist map), that make excellent stops on any photo walk through Boston proper.

Great for some macro work on the carving details, general “Holloweenish” photos of the very old tombstones and the colonial carvings/engravings (skulls and wings) adorning the tombstones themselves, as well as just wonderful weathered tombstones.

Find the side streets in the North end for some great "local color" and possible unique urban shots.
    edited April 2, 2010
    El Gato wrote:
    Find the side streets in the North end for some great "local color" and possible unique urban shots.

Great suggestion thumb.gif.

I just met up with someone to do a shoot at the commons. They were packed, so we ended up walking down a side alley across the street that had some great old brick walls and doorways to use as backdrops. Gotta love the city!

• Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    Boston
    Just got back from shooting there this past week....so many places..

The Old State House which is across from the Omni Parker Hotel is off the hook..

Rooftop pool on the Colonade Hotel across from the Pru..

The Refelction Pool at the Scientology Center near the Pru..

Goverment Center Subway Station...street musicians playing in the subway..

The staircase in the MIT Muesum..

The gorgeous hotel down near the Aquarium with the huge portico..

Along the Charles River...

In the North End, close to Bovo's, is an amazing cobblestone alley...
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

edited April 3, 2010
    Just got back from shooting there this past week....so many places..

The Old State House which is across from the Omni Parker Hotel is off the hook..

Rooftop pool on the Colonade Hotel across from the Pru..

The Refelction Pool at the Scientology Center near the Pru..

Goverment Center Subway Station...street musicians playing in the subway..

The staircase in the MIT Muesum..

The gorgeous hotel down near the Aquarium with the huge portico..

Along the Charles River...

In the North End, close to Bovo's, is an amazing cobblestone alley...
    Couldn't agree more. I haven't been down to the old state house yet, but I'll be sure to check it out. The government center subway station, along with the Park street station, are constantly filled with musicians. Every time I take the T, I wish I had my camera to snap some shots of them. The Marriot (hotel by the Aquarium), to my knowledge, is the most expensive in the city, but I'm sure it's worth it haha.

I took these shots at the reflection pool at the scientology center last fall. They came out alright, but I would like to go back some time at twilight, instead of in the middle of the night.

DSC_2310.jpg

DSC_2290.jpg

• ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    rgphoto wrote: »
    I took these shots at the reflection pool at the scientology center last fall. They came out alright, but I would like to go back some time at twilight, instead of in the middle of the night.

Shot #2 is awesome, and would benefit from twilight I think. I'm sure #1 would be different and just as good in different light (if you get good clouds!) but I think it's a stunning shot on its own, atleast at that size.

I'd say it's portfolio good. Nice one, I'll have to check this place out next time I'm in the city and lugged the camera gear with me :)
    Please Look At My Photography!
    http://www.AndyCalnan.com/
    edited August 16, 2010
    Clamroll wrote: »
    Shot #2 is awesome, and would benefit from twilight I think. I'm sure #1 would be different and just as good in different light (if you get good clouds!) but I think it's a stunning shot on its own, atleast at that size.

I'd say it's portfolio good. Nice one, I'll have to check this place out next time I'm in the city and lugged the camera gear with me :)

Thanks for the kind words! I'm going back to school in 17!!! days, and the reflecting pool may be my first photo trip again.