Nikkor 17-55 DX f2.8 - Image examples wanted

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in Cameras
I'm real curious about this lens and would REALLY appreciate some results posted here. I don't really care of what but please inc. the settings.

General FB is also encourged. :wink

Thanks
Buggs.

Comments

• PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010

Kewwwl!!!

Any chance of seeing it in action @ 17mm and perhaps something that showcases it's dof @ 2.8 too (say a tiled floor or even the length of the shelves per your previous example)?

I know; PITA.... :D

As for everyone else, please keep 'em coming - I'm hoping for lots of variety. thumb.gif
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    That's all I have. It was targetted to compare against the 24-70mm f2.8.

These images were shot at f2.8.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
    edited March 16, 2010
    That's all I have. It was targetted to compare against the 24-70mm f2.8.

These images were shot at f2.8.

Ahhh, I see.
    As per your gears list, you went w/ the 24-70... You shouldn't be disappointed with that.

Thanks for playing. mwink.gif
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    The 17-55mm 2.8 is an amazing lens. I just sold my copy because I'm moving to full frame, which is the only downside to the lens. 17-55 is my favorite focal range, and this lens does it perfectly. I'll post some examples shot with the lens later.

If you're thinking about getting this lens, do it, but consider this first. Are you going to move to full frame anytime soon? If so, the 24-70 might be a better choice. (on crop sensor the 17-55 is essentially the 24-70 on a full frame body)

Like I said, I'll post some pics later today (16th)
    Jer
    edited March 16, 2010
    The 17-55mm 2.8 is an amazing lens. I just sold my copy because I'm moving to full frame, which is the only downside to the lens. 17-55 is my favorite focal range, and this lens does it perfectly. I'll post some examples shot with the lens later.

If you're thinking about getting this lens, do it, but consider this first. Are you going to move to full frame anytime soon? If so, the 24-70 might be a better choice. (on crop sensor the 17-55 is essentially the 24-70 on a full frame body)

Like I said, I'll post some pics later today (16th)

Hello, Jeremy.

Yes, I'm aware of all you posted and feel that the land of DX will suite me for a VERY long time to come.... It's my hope to cash in on one of these from someone else that feels the need too move to, full-frame. mwink.gif

Right now I use the 18-70 f3.5/4.5G, variable and am a fancier of the wide end of it - Just curious to see what the 'gains' of upgrading would/could look like.

I look forward in seeing your examples. Thanks! clap.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I went looking through my gallery to see what I had. These do not show DOF liked you were asking. But they are f2.8 @ 17mm. It is a wonderful lens I have never regretted dropping the money on it.
    Some light painting shots, long exposure
    548475525_Trr9u-L.jpg

548340167_ycmHK-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited March 17, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I went looking through my gallery to see what I had. These do not show DOF liked you were asking. But they are f2.8 @ 17mm. It is a wonderful lens I have never regretted dropping the money on it.
    Some light painting shots, long exposure

Thanks for these!

They ARE what I'm looking for as they are, examples. And from your examples, I take it that this is a 'tack sharp' lens; even when it's wide open.

Agree?
    edited March 17, 2010
    Here are some more I took today. 17mm @ f2.8 more emphasis on DOF 1/6400 and 1/8000 shutter ISO 200
    813039721_x4EzY-X2.jpg

813040192_V9qGN-X2.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    This one was 17mm @ f2.8

625880194_KPLdj-L.jpg

Here it is in action. It focuses really fast. This is my go to lens for trials photos. I shot this one holding the camera near the ground shooting up at the rider. I couldn't even see what I was doing. The focus locked on and it got the shot. 17mm @ f5

690450498_94PfL-L.jpg
    edited March 18, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Here are some more I took today. 17mm @ f2.8 more emphasis on DOF 1/6400 and 1/8000 shutter ISO 200

Exactly the demo I was looking for - Thanks for going out and using my plea for help as a personal project.... Your check is in the mail. :D

Who'd thunk that a barbed-wire fence could be something else than mundane. headscratch.gif
    That's a VERY creative picture! It's like a dof,,, race! rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 18, 2010
    Zerodog wrote:

Here it is in action. It focuses really fast. This is my go to lens for trials photos. I shot this one holding the camera near the ground shooting up at the rider. I couldn't even see what I was doing. The focus locked on and it got the shot. 17mm @ f5

These shots are more in line of what I see as using this lens for. Super-Uber thanks for your contrib's. thumb.gif
    edited March 18, 2010
    Just another extended post of gratitude - I really didn't expect such dedicated responses.

- I was actually chatting it up with a local Nikon Rep, yesterday. She was very helpful in regards of me seeking knowledge on this piece of glass. Sadly, though, she wouldn't loan me out a copy because of all the shooters working the Para-Olympics that are going on; She needed it for any "just in case" emergency's that were bound to happen.

I can understand that; hence my gratitude for you guy's playing along........

Cheers!
    edited March 18, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Exactly the demo I was looking for - Thanks for going out and using my plea for help as a personal project.... Your check is in the mail. :D

Who'd thunk that a barbed-wire fence could be something else than mundane. headscratch.gif
    That's a VERY creative picture! It's like a dof,,, race! rolleyes1.gif

Well it was there and it cut me then I looked at it, and thought of this thread.
    There you go. I was chasing down wildflowers yesterday. No sharpening was performed just slight curves adjust to give it better contrast.
    It is a great lens if you are shooting a D300 or the like.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    edited March 19, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Well it was there and it cut me then I looked at it, and thought of this thread.
    There you go. I was chasing down wildflowers yesterday. No sharpening was performed just slight curves adjust to give it better contrast.
    It is a great lens if you are shooting a D300 or the like.

It's nice to see something live up to its reputation... I think I'm pretty much sold on getting one now.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    well, I have been sick for over a week now, so I'm sorry I didn't post any examples yet. But, this lens is uber sharp like everyone says it is, and barrel distortion isn't too bad. So, I highly recommend you buy it! mwink.gif
    Jer
    edited March 22, 2010
    well, I have been sick for over a week now, so I'm sorry I didn't post any examples yet. But, this lens is uber sharp like everyone says it is, and barrel distortion isn't too bad. So, I highly recommend you buy it! mwink.gif

No worries.
    Working on a a deal..... mwink.gif