Options

Sweet Website Customization!

davidjaydavidjay Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited March 19, 2010 in Weddings
I've seen thousands of custom websites but I've gotta hand it to Jaki Good and Jerry Roek for mixing some technologies to make for an awesome site!

http://www.jakigoodphotography.com/

They used Showit for the website so the site has a smooth fluid feel and then incorporated all the images stored on SmugMug so when the client clicks through to the shopping cart and proofing section it has the same look!

...and then to top it off they even customized wordpress so the blog ties right in!

Awesome job!
dj

davidjay
www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Yep, that is pretty sweet!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    davidjay wrote:
    I've seen thousands of custom websites but I've gotta hand it to Jaki Good and Jerry Roek for mixing some technologies to make for an awesome site!

http://www.jakigoodphotography.com/

They used Showit for the website so the site has a smooth fluid feel and then incorporated all the images stored on SmugMug so when the client clicks through to the shopping cart and proofing section it has the same look!

...and then to top it off they even customized wordpress so the blog ties right in!

Awesome job!
    dj

Aha, I have been playing with Showit for 3 days, I have seen your name about 55 times as I try every template over and over Laughing.gif!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Looks nice but, as soon as the music started playing, I closed it. I don't understand why people insist on playing music, sounds, etc. on their sites. It's annoying and not always something you want if you're browsing in a sensitive office or something. Please make it optional people! And I mean, turn it OFF by default, allow us to turn it on if we want.
    /RANT
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    ... as soon as the music started playing, I closed it...

ditto

In fact, the music played before the image loaded. So no image, no reason to be on the website..bye-bye (yes I am cranky today)
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    Lots of people like music on a website and lots of people don't :)

It's a style thing.

Also, just so you know I didn't want that post to sound so promotional and considering you can do all of that stuff with the free version of Showit I thought it was ok but my apologies if it came across like an ad.

I'm really amazed at what they put together.

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Oooh...very sweet! Now if only I had the time and know-how to do that myself...
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback - appreciate it!

- I agree, the music is a style thing :) Jaki loves it and a lot of her customers and fans love the songs she has selected.

This is a huge success - a lot of smuggers that I have work with over the years have been contacting me about the site. They love the smugmug/showit/wordpress combo as well as the fact you can post showit pages to your facebook wall and tag friends/clients. All the 'ingredients' together result in a marketing powerhouse and a great way to promote yourself, show off your art and enable your clients to view and purchase images.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    davidjay wrote:
    Lots of people like music on a website and lots of people don't :)

It's a style thing.
    Sorry, I disagree. Few people actually want to have music play by itself when they go to a website--in fact, I don't know ANYONE who wants this to happen. You're not going to gain any customers because of the music but you surely will LOSE some. The website owner is the one who usually wants this and tries to justify why they have music playing to everyone to convince themselves it's what others want. Do some research, this is one of the biggest complaints web surfers have--stuff playing when they don't want or expect it to. Why do you think there are so many tools to block flash from playing? Not just for the ads for sure as there are perfectly good ad blockers available (been around longer than Flash suppressors) and they work just fine.

If it is a style thing, it is a tacky, intrusive style.

Sorry for the rant but I see this all too often--especially with photography websites.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    I don't know ANYONE who wants this to happen.
    If it is a style thing, it is a tacky, intrusive style.
    Honestly when you say things like this it just makes you seem like you don't know many people and I don't know if I'd take any type of marketing advice from somebody who doesn't know very many people.

btw "GadgetRick" - you list yourself as a sports photographer so why are you over here trying to give people advice on wedding marketing? I have a little bit of experience to backup the fact that although it's not for everyone it is for some...

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    This is off topic, but-

David, I just wanted to compliment you on the article in a recent magazine regarding one of your stunning pictures, "God Smiling". I've seen and been wowed by that wedding image (and many of your other photographs) before, but somehow the title made me appreciate it even more. And the fact that timing is everything. Some things can't be "cooked" in Photoshop.

For the non -wedding photographers who lurk here, David Jay is a household name among the majority of wedding photographers. Most of us would be thrilled to second shoot with him for free just to learn. His advice on marketing should not be taken lightly.

On topic, it seems to be well documented that most younger women (as in brides) prefer music on wedding photography websites. My site doesn't have any only because I haven't taken time to find and purchase rights to the right music (yet), but know seeing beautiful wedding imagery is a far more powerful experience for the viewer when accompanied by the right soundtrack.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    davidjay wrote:
    Honestly when you say things like this it just makes you seem like you don't know many people and I don't know if I'd take any type of marketing advice from somebody who doesn't know very many people.

btw "GadgetRick" - you list yourself as a sports photographer so why are you over here trying to give people advice on wedding marketing? I have a little bit of experience to backup the fact that although it's not for everyone it is for some...
    Because I specialize in sports photography but shoot other things and am trying to learn about wedding photography.

Do a Google search on, "website music good or bad," and read some of the links. Then tell me whether most people want music or not.

And I do know quite a few people, have participated in forums for quite a number of years. Was on the Internet before it was public so I've been around. And I will stand by music playing by default is a bad thing. Go to other photography websites and post the question. I've seen it discussed over and over again and I've always felt this way myself.

Honestly, when people say they think music adds to a website I have to question what kind of marketing experience they have and what kind of research they've done to back up the statement. i've found people who put music on their websites try and rationalize why they've done this but have never heard of anyone getting business because they have music on their website. Two people (including me) have said they closed the website as soon as music played. How many other people have done the same? Yet NOBODY has chimed in and said, "The music was great! It made the site!" So what does that tell you.

Do some REAL research before trying to discredit someone who is trying to give sound advice.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    smurfy wrote:
    For the non -wedding photographers who lurk here, David Jay is a household name among the majority of wedding photographers. Most of us would be thrilled to second shoot with him for free just to learn. His advice on marketing should not be taken lightly.

On topic, it seems to be well documented that most younger women (as in brides) prefer music on wedding photography websites. My site doesn't have any only because I haven't taken time to find and purchase rights to the right music (yet), but know seeing beautiful wedding imagery is a far more powerful experience for the viewer when accompanied by the right soundtrack.
    Not questioning his skills or marketing prowess. However, when he calls someone out, he really should know more about that person before doing so. I've worked directly in marketing and have been in sales for many years. I've also done LOTS of research about websites, etc. to find ways to drive people to websites. So I'd say I know a few things, too.

It is also well documented that music playing on a website (by default) is a bad thing. It's not going to gain you customers but it certainly will turn customers off. Never had a problem with a website which has the OPTION to play music but is off by default. If you're sitting in a small cube in an office browsing the web--something MILLIONS of people do daily--the last thing you want is some music playing when you're not ready for it while your boss is walking by. This is why it's a bad thing.

I've also (as I mentioned) participated and read countless threads about music on websites. The OVERWHELMING majority of people agree it's bad to have it playing by default. I'll say it again, even here in this thread, two of us have said they closed the page as soon as the music played. I've not read anyone's comment about how great the music is and it pulled them into the website and made them want to buy something or hire the photographer. That says it all....
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    Not questioning his skills or marketing prowess. However, when he calls someone out, he really should know more about that person before doing so. I've worked directly in marketing and have been in sales for many years. I've also done LOTS of research about websites, etc. to find ways to drive people to websites. So I'd say I know a few things, too.

It is also well documented that music playing on a website (by default) is a bad thing. It's not going to gain you customers but it certainly will turn customers off. Never had a problem with a website which has the OPTION to play music but is off by default. If you're sitting in a small cube in an office browsing the web--something MILLIONS of people do daily--the last thing you want is some music playing when you're not ready for it while your boss is walking by. This is why it's a bad thing.

I've also (as I mentioned) participated and read countless threads about music on websites. The OVERWHELMING majority of people agree it's bad to have it playing by default. I'll say it again, even here in this thread, two of us have said they closed the page as soon as the music played. I've not read anyone's comment about how great the music is and it pulled them into the website and made them want to buy something or hire the photographer. That says it all....

You've managed to turn a thread that was meant as a compliment for website customization into your attempt to thump your chest and declare that you know what you're talking about.

You don't like music on websites.
    We get it.
    Move on.

And honestly... people shouldn't be surfing websites during work hours. If they fear having their boss walk by or having him/her hear the music then there's a really good chance that they're not supposed to be surfing the net at all.
  • Options
    nphaskinsnphaskins Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I think the important thing here to remember is that if your clients LOVE music on your website, keep it on there. Don't send your site off for "feedback" from family, friends, or photographers. They are not your market. Photographers have such an incredible eye for detail that we'll pick about the most ridiculous things that our clients don't think twice about.

My opinion on music (even though the thread wasn't about music) is that if you're going to have it playing, have it start at a SUPER low volume. So low to the point to where it MAKES your visitor turn their speakers up. It is at that point your visitor is engaged, and now WANTS to hear what you have.
    Showit Designer
    Spilled Milk Designs
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    nphaskins wrote:
    I think the important thing here to remember is that if your clients LOVE music on your website, keep it on there. Don't send your site off for "feedback" from family, friends, or photographers. They are not your market. Photographers have such an incredible eye for detail that we'll pick about the most ridiculous things that our clients don't think twice about.

My opinion on music (even though the thread wasn't about music) is that if you're going to have it playing, have it start at a SUPER low volume. So low to the point to where it MAKES your visitor turn their speakers up. It is at that point your visitor is engaged, and now WANTS to hear what you have.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    Betz wrote:
    You've managed to turn a thread that was meant as a compliment for website customization into your attempt to thump your chest and declare that you know what you're talking about.

You don't like music on websites.
    We get it.
    Move on.

And honestly... people shouldn't be surfing websites during work hours. If they fear having their boss walk by or having him/her hear the music then there's a really good chance that they're not supposed to be surfing the net at all.
    Hold on a second here, I didn't start thumping my chest until I was told I don't know what I'm talking about.

Also, if you think people will stop surfing websites during work hours, then I don't know what to say. Sure, people aren't supposed to do this, but they do and will continue to do so. That was one example. What about the countless people who listen to music on their computer while surfing at home? When music plays on a website, it screws up that as well and just sounds like a jumbled mess.

The original post sounded like it was intended for people to c&c on it, which is what I did. If someone doesn't want someone to comment on something then maybe it should be posted in a public forum? I said it was a very nice-looking site but bailed once the music played--as did someone else, btw. They also posted they bailed. So I must not be the only one who thinks like this....even here.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    nphaskins wrote:

Excellent post and idea. I can live with that.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    as soon as the music started playing, I closed it.

Heard the 1st note or 2 and was gone...so i have no idea if it is a great site or just a mediocre site..............ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif

If your wesite is a mucic site....then I expect to hear music and will turn mine off....but I listen to music 24/7 and do not want someone else's noise trying to over ride what I am listening to.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    If anyone is allowing "music" to determine viewing quality for photography purposes, then closing the site before you manage to lay eyes on the work at hand, is a crying shame. And if it's loud enough to interfere with what your listening to elsewhere, the volume on your computer is most likely an easy button to reach. Let's not let quality of work be determined by quantity of decibels. Just my 2 pennies worth. It's music people. It "aint rocket sciene". 86 the noise and enjoy the scenery if that's how you roll. Otherwise, the music stays. :D
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Music is definately a style thing and it totally worked in the context of that site's content. People won't be on that site when they're stealing an extra break at work, or when they're up late and forgot to plug in the earphones. I'm not a music-on-websites fan myself but that site, with the tasteful music and a toggle switch... Totally fine.

Malte
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    Hold on a second here, I didn't start thumping my chest until I was told I don't know what I'm talking about.

You started thumping your chest in post No. 9
    You were called out in post No.10

Malte
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    Malte wrote:
    Music is definately a style thing and it totally worked in the context of that site's content. People won't be on that site when they're stealing an extra break at work, or when they're up late and forgot to plug in the earphones. I'm not a music-on-websites fan myself but that site, with the tasteful music and a toggle switch... Totally fine.

Malte
    When people work more hours than ever these days, when, exactly, do you think they may have time to look at things on the web. Not sure if you work in an office environment or not, if you do, walk around during the day and observe what others are looking at on their computers---not EVERYONE of all of the time but you'll see what I mean.

And again, do some research on websites and what people hate most about them. The top two things are (in no particular order), you ready....music playing by default and too much flash. Seriously, check it out, you'll see I'm far from the minority on this...
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    Malte wrote:
    You started thumping your chest in post No. 9
    You were called out in post No.10

Malte
    How was I called out? I mean, because I'm not a wedding photographer? That doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about marketing. I also still don't understand the comment about me not knowing many people. That one really has me scratching my head. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Alrighty guys ... let's keep the thread about web (or showit) customization ... I don't care what you guys discuss via pms, but let's keep it clean on here, ok?

Thanks! thumb.gif