edited March 20, 2010 in Landscapes
0_0_07dc1fcccd94256a8d424a443ba303ef_1

0_0_89cf1d87816be531730e108a75b7fb3f_1
Lee Wiren

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    The second one is very powerful!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    For me they both are. Well impressed.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    I like both of them, but I prefer the first one. I like the panoramic view, and the BIF makes the shot for me. Lovely colors and mood in both shots. Nicely done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    They are breathtaking. The first one is my favorite; I like the pano and the undisturbed look! Really lovely!
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    the first one, the birds make the shot.. I feel like I am there...
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    very nice, subtle!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Thank you everybody, appreciate the comments. One of those lucky shots of being at the right place at the right time, totally unplanned as I went to shoot wildlife in the golden hour, after I got out of the car and saw the sun rising, switched camera settings quickly to nail that first shot and have been getting rave reviews.

Sometimes the shot unplanned is the fan favorite rolleyes1.gif

Again, thanks for looking and all of the nice comments.
    Lee Wiren
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Hi, the first one is a real 'wall hanger' clap.gif

Cheers, Richard.
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Lee,

Both shots are wonderful, but #1 is my favorite also. Great captures!thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I love the first iloveyou.gifthumb.gif , but the soft/blur vignette is a bit over done in my opinion.:D

Dan
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Lee,

I like both shots a lot but #1 edges out #2. Something with the small piece of lands and geese(?) in the foreground see tilted upward, but the silhouettes and orange lighting is great!
    edited March 18, 2010
    Thanks again for the comments.

Dan, there really isn't any soft blur/vignette that I added. This was the scene as is, the clouds were grayish, a lot of mist was rising up out of the waters and the air was foggy, the sunrise light coming through it all gave it the soft blur effect, I added just a little, but not much to that effect. I didn't do any vignetting at all to the image, that is the natural effect of the darkness and the sun being bright enough for the rest of it to appear vignetted.

For PP, I raised the EV by .25, Clarity = -20 and that's it, the rest is straight out of the box.

Thanks for the warm glowing comments mwink.gif (pun intended)
    Lee Wiren
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Wiren wrote:
    Thanks again for the comments.

Dan, there really isn't any soft blur/vignette that I added. This was the scene as is, the clouds were grayish, a lot of mist was rising up out of the waters and the air was foggy, the sunrise light coming through it all gave it the soft blur effect, I added just a little, but not much to that effect. I didn't do any vignetting at all to the image, that is the natural effect of the darkness and the sun being bright enough for the rest of it to appear vignetted.

For PP, I raised the EV by .25, Clarity = -20 and that's it, the rest is straight out of the box.

Thanks for the warm glowing comments mwink.gif (pun intended)

My apologies. Sometimes a flower is so beautiful that it almost looks fake. Your photo is very beautiful clap.gif
    edited March 18, 2010
    No apologies needed Dan, no offense was taken. I have gotten this response a lot of this photo. I was amazed at it myself when I loaded it into Lightroom.

Unbeleivably lucky to have gotten there at the right time for this shot and I can assure you that seeing the place in reality is nowhere near as beautiful as the photo makes it seem, doesn't it figure rolleyes1.gif

Again, I appreciate you looking and always appreciate comments on my photo's, hope I didn't come across as defensive, not my intent.

Good light to you sir

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Absolutely amazing scene/s! I LIVE for days like these! Might I suggest a slight horizon straightening in each...they both seem to lean a bit "left".
    edited March 19, 2010
    Thanks Darren, I also live for days like these, they don't come often enough do they?

As for the horizon tilt.......I tried it, and don't like it, look at the trees, they are straight, the way the water feeds back into the land makes the POV look tilted when it's not. But as there has been so much interest in the PP and the "tilt" (more so on other forums than here) I will post the original and one cropped one with at tilt.

Ok, here is the original, Straight out of the camera shot.
    0_0_10008dcb3da1f4f04c6666526870330e_1

I didn't like the contrails at the top of the image, nor the grass at the bottom.

I used a 3.75 x 8 crop to save as much of the good parts as possible and rid the rest of what I didn't like.

This is a "tilted" shot with the following PP. I forgot to tell you Dan that I did clone out a small sunspot amidst the trees. I changed the WB from 4350 to 4800, + .20 EV, -20 clarity. As requested, I added (in LR2.6) 5 clicks of clockwise tilt. To my eyes, this looks off, your mileage may vary.

0_0_5a2596cf693312201b11239f7f9de9ef_1

Anyways, The one I posted in the original post is what's on my website, just figured as there was interest and this was a learning forum, I would post different results for all of us to discuss if we felt like it - you won't hurt my feeling by any C & C, so have at it :D
    Lee Wiren
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I prefer the original you posted. I didn't sense any tilt, but when I looked closely after all the discussion I can see why the image caused that comment. However, when I look at your "corrected tilt" version I get the sense of a downward tilt, just barely. I think it is because of the way the water reaches into the trees, just as you said.

IMO, the original, with your crop, is the best.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    wow #1 is great, what color, supurb.... thumb.gif
    Rags
    edited March 20, 2010
    Thanks Lauren for your comment. I posted the "corrected" tilt version to see if I could get an idea of what other folks thought just in case my mind was seeing what it wanted to see. I appreciate that you see what I saw during post, but am willing to listen to other opinions. Since this is a wallhanger for me, I want to be sure the final edit has a good feeling for the general public and not just to me.

Thanks for the comment Rags.
    Lee Wiren