Options

Booked my first international wedding!

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited April 9, 2010 in Weddings
Booked my first international wedding! This past June I had spoken to a friend of mine who loved my work and I told him that if he flew me out to England and put me up somewhere to stay while I was there, I'd shoot his wedding for free. Only last month did he finally get back to me and start talking to me about how they want to do this!!! So I'm going to England for the first time ever this August!

So.... I'm going to get the Think Tank Airport International (I own the Airport Security but I hear that's too big for international carry on, so going to pick up the International bag) and was wondering what other things I should consider picking up / bringing / knowing for international photography travel? I've traveled internationally to Japan and China in the past...but only with a single body and like 2 lenses on those trips, never with my full wedding kit and caboodle.

I would also love suggestions of what i should do while I'm in England. The first few days I'll be hanging out in Sheffield w/ the couple, they the wedding weekend we're heading down to Nottingham I believe, and the week after the wedding I'm going to stay with a friend in London (who has offered to take me around and wants to know the list of what things I want to see so he can tell me what is feasible and help plan it out better). So any suggestions from those of you who've been to the UK for places to see is also appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Very exciting!!! clap.gif

They have different electricity plugs out there, might want to look into that, so you can charge all your equipment thumb.gif
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Oh so FUN!! I'm sure you're going to love it...

As for what to bring, hmm...maybe an adapter so you can use your battery chargers?
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    England is expensive. It killed my remaining budget coming home from Italy.

Most importantly have fun and try to explore!!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    I'll ask my friends about what adapters I need for the plugs, thanks for that tip!
    England is expensive. It killed my remaining budget coming home from Italy.

Most importantly have fun and try to explore!!!

At least I'm not paying for flight or lodging while I'm there! That should help :)
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    I hope you get to explore!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    I hope you get to explore!

that'd be why I'm going for 11-12 days and staying w/ friends when not at the wedding venue :):):)
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    See if they would be up for a trash the dress shoot ... I'm sure that would be a lot of fun (in one of the castles) ... I'm sure the day after would probably not be in the cards, but maybe 2 days after the wedding? thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    See if they would be up for a trash the dress shoot ... I'm sure that would be a lot of fun (in one of the castles) ... I'm sure the day after would probably not be in the cards, but maybe 2 days after the wedding? thumb.gif

oooooo good idea, I'll ask them!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    HOLY COW! That is awesome !!! Congratulations. I hope you will be sharing the photos as soon as you return.

I have read in several photography magazines that are printed in the UK that they have some restrictive laws, mostly since our 9-11, regarding photographing some public buildings and areas. Please check that out before hand, save yourself a big headache at the very least!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Don't forget that England is one of those countries that has a lot of overcast days...so brush up on you fill flash techniques.

And, since you will be staying over after the wedding, you may want to look into the Great British Heritage Pass, which permits entrance to more than 580 heritage sites...castles, etc. Just Goggle the same and you'll see lot's of websites.

One of the nice things that I like about the pass is that you can buy it in advance, and it is activated when you first use it...and lasts for the number of days that you purchased...and I think you get to bypass the lines. at the buy tourist sites.

http://www.britishheritagepass.com/Benefits

The conversion rate this morning off of Goggle is 1.594 US dollars to one British Pound...so 10 British Pound is $15.94 US.

57 GBP is 91 US...the cost of a 7 day Heritage Pass.

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to your trip pics and wedding shots. Good luck.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    I'll check that pass out, thanks!

And I live in the midwest, Northwest Indiana. We always have overcast days - so I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. I actually prefer photographing weddings on overcast days because the lighting tends to be much nicer for my photos!

Yeah I know some of the castles for sure you can't photograph the guards or they'll take your camera or something I heard, thankfully being taken everywhere by natives (I'll be staying w/ various friends the entire time I'm there) should help as they are probably more knowledgeable on the does and don't surrounding tourist photos I hope.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Congrats....

Sounds very exciting!!!

I have a question rather than a tip though....

I have still not bought the bag...and have debated on which to purchase....so...when you get the International, Id be interested in seeing what fits in that sucker. IM considering some sort of backpack (for light packing) and one of the thinktank rollers for on location shoots.

I carry three bags now. One with camera and lenses, one with speedlights and their accesories, and one for the 70-200. Its a mess to tote it all with a step ladder and lightstand/umbrella.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Congrats....

Sounds very exciting!!!

I have a question rather than a tip though....

I have still not bought the bag...and have debated on which to purchase....so...when you get the International, Id be interested in seeing what fits in that sucker. IM considering some sort of backpack (for light packing) and one of the thinktank rollers for on location shoots.

I carry three bags now. One with camera and lenses, one with speedlights and their accesories, and one for the 70-200. Its a mess to tote it all with a step ladder and lightstand/umbrella.

Well I can tell you that the Think Tank Airport Security V2 is an awesome beast and fits everything I need for domestic weddings + fits into the Southwest carry-on luggage overhead bin. I'll let you know when I get the Think Tank Airport International bag how it compares, I'm pretty sure it's smaller, but just how much less I can fit in it, guess we'll find out when I order it! :)
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    Shima wrote:
    Well I can tell you that the Think Tank Airport Security V2 is an awesome beast and fits everything I need for domestic weddings + fits into the Southwest carry-on luggage overhead bin. I'll let you know when I get the Think Tank Airport International bag how it compares, I'm pretty sure it's smaller, but just how much less I can fit in it, guess we'll find out when I order it! :)

Yeah yeah.....you sent me pics of your big bag, but the smaller version...at least the measurements arent THAT much smaller. Id be interested in knowing....and who knows why I havent bought one yet. I shoulda done it long ago, and have a stack of Amazon gift cards to purchase one.....procrastinating.eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    On second thought....
    You should PM Zanotti of Dgrin.

Not sure how much shooting he has done there, but he mailed me some CF cards and British Photography magazines a year or so ago. He might be a good source for the answers you seek.:D
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    CAUTION!

The UK, like Europe, runs 220 volt electricity. Check every single electrical appliance you plan to use, and make sure that the power converter can handle up to 220. If not, you'll need a "step-down" converter, not an adaptor.

I thought this wasn't a big deal, and hooked up my epson scanner with an adaptor (not a converter= and, no joke, I set it on fire. Like thick black smoke and flame. For Realz.

Currently, because I'm super cheap, I continue to buy most of my gear in the US and smuggle it in, but I hook it up using these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483063-REG/Impact_VCG_SD85_VCG_SD85_85_Watt_International.html

Thez work great, but you can only do one per socket. Putting them on a power strip will blow the fuse.

Also, see if they have an adaptor, UK plugs are different than Europe.

Good Luck!
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Wow...What great Deal: Congratulations!! I'll bet your Wedidng couple friends know all of the little places they like and you will too.

But I will throw my vote in for Ireland....when you think you've enjoyed the best of England, skip over the water to Ireland...The people are excruciatingly warm.:D

Enjoy~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2010
    Ireland will probably be a next year trip, I think I'll just soak up all I can in England this year since I'll be with the locals and they will want to show me tons I'm sure. I'm also looking into those voltage converters, will probably pick up at least one or two before I go!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited March 21, 2010
    Shima wrote:
    I'll ask my friends about what adapters I need for the plugs, thanks for that tip!
    I've used this site to figure out which adapters I've needed when traveling, have also purchased from them - http://traveloasis.com/international-plug-adapters.html.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Two camera bags?
    I volunteer to carry them for ya!
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Have you thought about what you will tell the customs/entry official on your way into GB? I don't know the rules on wedding 'togs but I personnally know people in other lines of work who were refused entry (and put on a plane back to where they came from) into Canada, the US and England when they said they were coming in to do some kind of work.

All were just trying to be drop dead honest about what the were entering to do (training) and they should have been allowed, but whatever happened in the that short conversation it ended up not so good for them. All of these people had made the same entries many times before with no problems.

It's just that it sounds like you will be entering with a big pile of gear, so you probably won't be mistaken for a tourist looking to get some snaps of the Tower of London or something:D
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    Quite simply, I'm coming for a visit to England and I'm photographing a friends wedding. I'm not getting paid for the wedding, so no lieing, and therefore I didn't come to get paid for a service, I'm just coming to do a favor for a friend. (what my friend is paying for is my flight and lodging)
    Dan7312 wrote:
    Have you thought about what you will tell the customs/entry official on your way into GB? I don't know the rules on wedding 'togs but I personnally know people in other lines of work who were refused entry (and put on a plane back to where they came from) into Canada, the US and England when they said they were coming in to do some kind of work.

All were just trying to be drop dead honest about what the were entering to do (training) and they should have been allowed, but whatever happened in the that short conversation it ended up not so good for them. All of these people had made the same entries many times before with no problems.

It's just that it sounds like you will be entering with a big pile of gear, so you probably won't be mistaken for a tourist looking to get some snaps of the Tower of London or something:D
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Congratulations! clap.gif
    Check on local sun rise sunset time. You will be further north and it gets dark sooner than here. Google sunrise sunset for location.
    Also, prepare for mixed weather, low light.
    Beware the beer is warm :D
    Bob
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    Shima wrote:
    Quite simply, I'm coming for a visit to England and I'm photographing a friends wedding. I'm not getting paid for the wedding, so no lieing, and therefore I didn't come to get paid for a service, I'm just coming to do a favor for a friend. (what my friend is paying for is my flight and lodging)

Best way! Well even better if you get paid, but this gets you to visit England, then all the better!

I wonder how the food is out there. Is it at par with Italian? Or spanish cuisines?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    Best way! Well even better if you get paid, but this gets you to visit England, then all the better!

I wonder how the food is out there. Is it at par with Italian? Or spanish cuisines?

Dunno, never been before, fish and chips anyone? :D But yeah I'm totally all for giving away services in exchange for this free trip :D
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    The converter Justi linked to is the one I've used for the past five years, and it has never failed me (I travel overseas every summer). I usually carry it plus a little set of plug adapters so I don't have to worry about which socket shape exists in each country. My laptop and battery chargers have yet to catch on fire. :D

I've only been to London and much of western England, and it looks like Sheffield and Nottingham are more central and to the east. Not quite north enough for the Lake District, not quite west enough for Snowdonia (Wales). Looks like you'll be right near the Peak District, though. No idea what that is, but it sounds intriguing.

So, London. I tend to love European churches, castles, and art, so my recommendations are heavily swayed that way. :D St. Paul's Cathedral is gorgeous, but photos are not allowed inside. The Tower of London and Tower Bridge are fun to visit, and if you walk across Tower Bridge and hang an immediate right, you'll pass some interesting sites along the Thames, like the reproduction of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and the Tate Modern museum (which is really worth a look).

Have your friend take you into a Marks and Spencer. Seriously addicting grocery shop, I love it more than Harrod's. But popping into Harrod's is good (expensive) fun, too.

If you're a Harry Potter fan, go to the ticket booth in King's Cross station to find the luggage cart half stuck into a pillar. If you love books, cross the street from the station and visit the British Library. Some amazing historical documents on display there.

One place I did not get to go and regret because everybody seems to love it is the Natural History Museum.

Oh, of course don't forget to swing by Parliament to see Big Ben and Westminster Abbey across the street. The London Eye is near there, too, if you want to ride the big ferris wheel for aerial views of the city.

If you love the idea of having high tea, go to the Orangery at Kensington Palace. Soooo delicious. And so very English. Then go wave to the queen later at Buckingham Palace.

...that's all I can remember. lol3.gif

Definitely have some fish and chips with malt vinegar. :eat But stay away from black puddings. The English are not known for their cuisine.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    So many places to see! I'm writing myself out a big list of all the things to do with the plan that after I write everything out I'll see how many days I need to actually be there (or at least a better guess) to see as much as I possibly can. Thanks for the five billion ideas, very helpful!

Also really excited since one of my friends said that he would love an excuse to go back out to London (he lived there for a year or two a while back) and so he's thinking he'll fly Business, take the same flight as me, and then use his miles to upgrade me too :D which would just be awesome. (I've never flown business on any flight, domestic or international)
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    You'll have a blast, I'm sure. thumb.gif

Just remembered, if you like photographing interesting characters/street stuff, go shopping in Camden Market. It hosts a colorful cast of goth/punk folks. Top hats and fairy wings are common sights there. :D
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    << take you into a Marks and Spencer >>

'Marks 'n Sparks' is fine if you want good stuff .... and don't mind paying a premium for it compared to other places :)

If you're on the hoof around Big Ben / Westminster and in need of a quick re-fuel, I suggest you check out the Tesco Express on the corner of Canon (!) st and Bridge st. You'll be able to get something at a sensible / non -inflated price ... and if you want to ppl watch whilst munching, nip back over the road to Parliament square, sit on the low wall by Churchill's statue and watch tourists taking pics of themselves 'holding up Big Ben' :)

(Other supermarket chains also offer similar fare, btw)

St James park is also worth a shufties as closeby ( view E to Horse guards from bridge in middle of park) is not too bad with good light - and fairly amenable w/life - if interested in such (I was (mainly) using a 40D / 400 5.6 last time I was there)

August is one of the few times Houses of Parl and Buck Pal is open to the public, btw.

Fish 'n Chips - yep, good call - if you eat such fare - better to go sometime after they've been open to increase the chances of it being fresh, rather than from previous session :)

What come out of the holes in the wall is typically 240v 50hz, btw - whatever its supposed to be according to stds.

Enjoy the trip (I'm about 25ml south of Notts, but wife hails from big L)

pp
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    Some new updates, finally booked my flight, got talked into going August 7th (which lands in London August 8th) and leaving August 22nd to come back home... so a FULL 2 weeks. Sooooooooo excited! Also a friend of mine is going to be out there around the same time as me, and they're also a big photography fanatic :) Plus since they used to live in London a little while back, I ran some of the ideas from here past them and most seem quite doable! :D