Refugio State Beach

dieterdieter Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited March 18, 2010 in Landscapes
A few sunrise images from last week at Refugio State Beach in California.

811850768_7rz57-L.jpg

811851572_tLVxN-L.jpg

811851079_HFDsY-L.jpg

811853379_tyrJA-L.jpg

811850322_wTB2a-L.jpg

Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Many Thanks.
Tom

Comments

• All things AlpineAll things Alpine Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    I really like the first and last ones.

The first is nice to see because it's a bit different than the common extremely long shutter effects making surf look really ghostly. Just enough speed to show the motion, and still capture the waves in the background- well done! The shot isn't layered is it? I could imagine the foreground could be a shot with a longer shutter opening, while the background was quicker to keep the shape of the waves in tact? Though I bet you could (and did?) find a happy medium.

And the last one... I'm a sucker for anything with a moon in frame... and the palm tree framing was really cool. The horizon looks a little funky to me... not necessarily not level, but looks a bit distorted? Was this shot with a real wide angle? Not an expert with the optics... but it doesn't hurt the picture- great capture.
  • dieterdieter Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Thanks for your comments.

The first shot is a single exposure at 0.6 sec. at f22, ISO 100. The "moon" shot was taken at 24mm on a 20D. I made the horizon level, but the channel island in the distance , as well as the haze does make it look a bit strange. This also was a single exposure.
    Tom
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    dieter wrote:
    A few sunrise images from last week at Refugio State Beach in California.
    Your thoughts and comments would be most welcome.

Many Thanks.

Nice!
    I like 2 and 4 the most.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • JoanJoan Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Refugio
    Tom,

I really like #1 with the soft surf in contrast with the clarity of the pebbles and cliffs -- the colors are beautiful too. #4 wowed me with the crispness of the water droplets. Colors in all were beautiful. The first one really is a beauty though.

The more I look at #2, the more I really like it. Parts of it remind me of a sunrise/sunset wave photo that is on the wall at Esau's Cafe that I am really taken with. Great colors, great textures. Even as a still shot, it evokes motion. Very nice.
    ~ Joan

Photo gallery: http://jbarnett.smugmug.com
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I like them all bar the first, maybe it's because the rest are so creative that for me it pales.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy