A shadow

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited March 18, 2010 in People
This is just a candid of my youngest that I worked into something special with some texture fun.

A friend mentioned that this photo reminded her of Peter Pan's shadow... And I agree! I love her energy in the shot. You can see she is in the thick of playing pretend and dress up. I also love that her plastic necklace shows up through the silhouette and then of course her beyond adorable profile as she is about to step through the doorway.

Yep, my mom bias is showing. :lust

810691691_2JAUh-XL.jpg

C & C = me + :D

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    ARRRGH. This is hard.

It doesn't do anything for me. Sorry (sincerely). ne_nau.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Ha ha! No worries.. didn't I mention something about a Mom bias?
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    I like it
    Father of two daughters here --- who play dress up --- a lot --- I like this one. Cute shot and one that will spark great memories down the road. I like the texture work on it, but wonder if it might help to back off just a bit on texture over her silhouette (not sure if it would be better or not -- just wondering as I type).
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Ha ha! No worries.. didn't I mention something about a Mom bias?

Please understand; I don't have any kiddies and know NOTHING of Peter Pan, either. I'm just looking at it, as it is,,, and it confuses me. thumb.gif

It's hard for me to admit that and I look forward in seeing others thoughts. This could be a learnin' tool for me. mwink.gif
    edited March 16, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Please understand; I don't have any kiddies and know NOTHING of Peter Pan, either. I'm just looking at it, as it is,,, and it confuses me. thumb.gif

It's hard for me to admit that and I look forward in seeing others thoughts. This could be a learnin' tool for me. mwink.gif

Think how boring life would be if everyones' tastes had that cookie cutter feel. This is why I am not even the slightest bit offended that you said it wasn't your favorite. I confess, I love it. You don't. No worries. rolleyes1.gif

Oh, Peter Pan had a mischiveous shadow that got unstuck from him and went around playing tricks on him and the other kids seperate from the real Pan. Hopefully that helps explain the reference. I love all things Peter Pan. You may not. No worries. rolleyes1.gif

As to the texture... one of the things I don't like about using texture is that it seems to flatten the perspective of a photo. 3D elements become 2d to my eye. In the case of a silhouette, it already appears flattened. Thus, I thought texture on silhouette would be a perfect match. :D
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    I like the shot technically but looking at it without any context what I see is mischievous little girl sneaking around! That's the way I enjoy it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    For some reason, I love it. It speaks of mystery, intrigue, a little adventurous some of the excitement of being a kid. I guess the heart of Peter Pan in some way.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    I really like it :)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I love the energy in this shot! The leaning body, the open mouth, the sense of mystery, it's like she could either turn and run or creep up quietly on someone. I would maybe back off the texture a touch, especially on her upper body and face. Overall, I like the subject and the treatment.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Heather, I LOVE it! :) Coming from a Mommy of 4 :D I love the texture and the perspective!! It captures beautifully what it is to be a little one!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Well how do you use it?

-If, for instance, I was mailed something like this in print....with a note saying...."Hey Jeff....here's a pic of my daughter!"....well Id feel jipped. It doesn't work in that sense.

-If it were included in a collection.....in a book...or framed set......or as an image on an invitation for a playdate or party......or a thank you card....or singularly framed as artwork (at least in a parent's or grandparent's home) it definately works.

My personal take?

I like it. It's fun, playful, mysterious, and creative. The processing has made something that was perhaps a bit ho-hum and made it something MORE. Keep it!thumb.gif

And I can certainly see where this could be something special to you.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I would crop the dark furniture off the right, I love the spacing/comp in this shot. Creates even more negative spacing which works for me. Also very small crops off the top and bottom to make it more of a pano.
    I am on my work monitor so take this next comment with a grain of salt, the middle appears to be just a bit hot, do a burn on that to even out the light.
    I LOVE textures, need to learn how to do them.
    This is a very cool creative shot, this is art.
    Love it.
    edited March 17, 2010
    Aw thanks to all the peanut gallery for the reassurances! I appreciate the fact that I didn't completely miss with everyone!:whew

Also, thanks to Jeff for the very important perspective of the value of the photo in conjunction with what it is being used for. My guess is that it will be used for my wall... and my facebook... to go with a few million other photos that I have of this kid.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I totally get the Peter Pan relevance... and THAT is what makes it work for me - there's something about the hard edge on the "shadow" combined with the vintage feel that takes you right there.

And yes, Jeff has nailed it - as a standalone shot, it doesn't have enough context to "work". But IN context... it's a keeper :D
    edited March 18, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    I totally get the Peter Pan relevance... and THAT is what makes it work for me - there's something about the hard edge on the "shadow" combined with the vintage feel that takes you right there.

And yes, Jeff has nailed it - as a standalone shot, it doesn't have enough context to "work". But IN context... it's a keeper :D

Thanks Diva! iloveyou.gif