Fire!

austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited March 17, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I've been asked to only place this in one forum, so it's all over in the Streets & PJ area:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1349434&posted=1#post1349434
DPP_0001.jpg
Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8

Comments

• wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    You did a fine job documenting the tragic event. From wide angle shots showing us the overall event to the close up action shots of the firefighter's. Good job.
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Wow, I really like some of the closer shots of the firefighters. Great expressions. You should post a couple of your favorites in street and PJ. I would think this would qualify well as the latter. Nice work.

P.S. You must have the patience of a saint living nextdoor to a frat house. eek7.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Think you pulled off a number of very nice photos despite your noted
    lack of experience doing shots of this kind of photography. Personally
    I'd say well done despite the problem areas. I'd bet it happens to the
    pros too only their bad ones get edited out if they do manage a bad shot.
    What ever works you've done with your camera so far, I think set you up
    very well to grab these shots.

Pretty sure these qualify quite well as photo journalism save for the lack
    of description per each image and whatever else is needed to fulfill the definition.

How about you post these in "Streets & PJ" (photo journalism) and see
    what feedback you get there. I'd be curious to see how that goes if you
    did. And I hope it would go well enough.
    :D Michael
    Michael
  • austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Thanks. Yes, I did a duplicate post in the Streets & PJ forum and a few people have commented.

I don't have a very artistic eye with the camera yet, so these mostly strike me as very "snapshoty" at best.

Being sort of new to all this, I still spend a lot of time on the mechanics of settings, DOF, watching my horizontals and verticals (which you can see are off in some of these, but I corrected in PP), panning, setting focus on one thing and swinging the camera so that item is in focus, but to the side, sort of cheating the light meter, etc. I tried to search for more interesting angles or views, or at least crop to better looking views when possible. I also was very reticent of staying the heck out of their way and not being some loser w/ a camera.

It was a lot different than running around at ISO H1, praying for 1/320th, and waiting for the next big leap and the head to turn toward me.....as the mercury vapor flickers from green to pink.
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8