On a trip to a show choir competition

IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited March 19, 2010 in People
Hi guys!
It's been a very long time since I posted. I actually forgot I had an account until I got a birthday reminder yesterday.

Anyways, for the past few months, I've been following the show choirs at a local high school in Columbia, MO. Last weekend, I went with them to the Viking Cup Invitational, where the co-ed show choir won Grand Champion. It was the last of their three competitions. Here are some of my favorite photos from the trip. All the photos here. There aren't many performance photos in this bunch, since I had some from before and I wanted to focus on their personalities.

805571024_UjXMB-L-1.jpg

805572085_zY5rV-L-1.jpg

805573004_xo7am-L-1.jpg

805573552_SCdPN-L-1.jpg

Entire show choir series

Let me know what you think.
Thanks for looking!

Irene
Irene Rojas
BlogWebsite

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    these are great! I looked through some shot on your site..fabulous..you really capture the energy very well and shots are fairly good technically.clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed them.
    Irene Rojas
    BlogWebsite
  • pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Hey! Somebody else who shoots show choir!
    Great stuff! I really like the backstage and travel shots. I don't ride the bus or travel with the choirs, though. All of mine are performance shots.

I shoot the Johnston (Iowa) choirs - my daughter and son are both in choirs and I shoot most of their competitions. The challenge is the difference in lighting from one venue to another and in some of them, one spot on stage to another. The last competition I tried to shoot might just as well have been held in a cave.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but if you are interested, the galleries are here . Again - nice job!
  • IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Lighting woes
    I completely sympathize with your lighting woes. It's part of the reason most of my performance photos are from their home shows. This particular school seems adamant about the uptake of their performing arts center, so all the lights are on and at full power (and I had more access). But this isn't always the case, and at the last competition, I noticed a black hole in the middle of the stage.

I've always been a fan of behind-the-scenes stuff, since I think it tells quite a bit about the people involved. More about the people and less about the personas.

I liked your photos too. Thanks for sharing!
    pward76 wrote:
    Great stuff! I really like the backstage and travel shots. I don't ride the bus or travel with the choirs, though. All of mine are performance shots.

I shoot the Johnston (Iowa) choirs - my daughter and son are both in choirs and I shoot most of their competitions. The challenge is the difference in lighting from one venue to another and in some of them, one spot on stage to another. The last competition I tried to shoot might just as well have been held in a cave.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but if you are interested, the galleries are here . Again - nice job!
    Irene Rojas
    BlogWebsite