Storefront

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited March 20, 2010 in Street and Documentary
811743168_dGBYN-XL.jpg

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I walk by stores like this in my neighborhood all the time and have photographed them--they never capture the feeling and I'm never pleased with them.

This is what I want them to look like. I also like the solitary human in the middle of shot--I often want to see their faces, but not in this instance.
    The B&W conversion is sweet as well. Works for me.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Nice.
    If not now, when?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    I walk by stores like this in my neighborhood all the time and have photographed them--they never capture the feeling and I'm never pleased with them.

This is what I want them to look like. I also like the solitary human in the middle of shot--I often want to see their faces, but not in this instance.
    The B&W conversion is sweet as well. Works for me.

Appreciate the kind words Liz. I've taken a number of store shots as well and I'd given up getting one that was simple, yet hopefully expressive.
  • NiepceNiepce Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Very nice shot. The depth of field and the exposure are just right. Could you post a color version of the shot? These shops sell so many different articles of so many different shapes and colors that a color picture could be of interest too.
    edited March 19, 2010
    It's about the colour
    I'd already worked on a colour version of this shot. Here it is for comparison. Always interested in C&C.
    814017161_3iMpt-XL.jpg
  • NiepceNiepce Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Just as I thought! Personally I prefer the color version, but it's really a matter of taste.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    The color version wins by a mile with me. I find my eye drifting all over the scene, fascinated by the myriad of colors at play. The B&W version doesn't have the same pull for me.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    The color version has so much more depth, character, and life to it. And the colors really pop, too.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited March 20, 2010
    The color version wins by a mile with me. I find my eye drifting all over the scene, fascinated by the myriad of colors at play. The B&W version doesn't have the same pull for me.

Tom

Appreciate the comments. As I mentioned, I had already prepped the colour version. But they are really two different pictures in my mind. The reason you liked it is the reason I went with B&W. I kept getting distracted by the shiny things around the edges of the frame and I wanted the attention on the man. That said I think both work, just in different ways.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 20, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Appreciate the comments. As I mentioned, I had already prepped the colour version. But they are really two different pictures in my mind. The reason you liked it is the reason I went with B&W. I kept getting distracted by the shiny things around the edges of the frame and I wanted the attention on the man. That said I think both work, just in different ways.

I think the man stands out more in the color version. The tonal difference between him and the background that immediately surrounds him is not as significant as the color difference. But I agree that both work.