Options

Hockey Help

headcoachheadcoach Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 27, 2010 in Sports
I have been reading various posts and have been trying different things. Unfortunately i do not get the same kind of result I see here. This past week I took my hobby to the rink to take some pictures of my daughter.

My set up:
Sony A300 (because I have old Minolta lenses)
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 - shot with hood on (does it matter in an arena?)
SpectreSnap
Monopod.

I CWB for each shot and have not made any adjustments to the jpegs.

Shot #1: ISO 800, 130mm, f2.8, 1/400 sec.
Shot #2: ISO 1600, 100mm, f2.8, 1/1000 sec.
Shot #3: ISO 800, 135mm, f2.8, 1/320 sec.
Shot #4: ISO 1600, 160mm, f2.8, 1/400 sec.

Shot #1 is in the sweet spot. The challenge is that it still doesn't seem to be as crisp. Overall the image feels flat and not 3D (does that make sense?)

Shot #2: I picked the wrong shutter speed (1/1000)

Shot #3: Seems to be about right (white balance is off a tad) but still seems flat.

Shot #4: I drop the shutter speed back to (1/400). Maybe needs to be a tad faster shutter speed. (1/500 or 1/640) Then maybe the image would be more 3D.

SHOT #1:

4440823545_b98c258034_b.jpg

SHOT #2

4440832955_151ac6fb3f_b.jpg

SHOT #3

4440886175_8790de0edc_b.jpg

SHOT #4

4441676094_4d8d46432c_b.jpg

Haven't touched these in Lightroom yet (still learning that). Frankly not sure where to start playing around with these shots. Any advise welcome.

My net/net for this arena is that I'm probably good at ISO 800, f2.8 and around 1/320 - 1/400. But the shots still aren't as crisp as I'd like them to be. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm still learning.

Thanks

h

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Do a search for "Aktse" posts http://www.dgrin.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=5373 on photographing hockey, she has lots of good ones.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2010
    Yup - I have
    Thanks Brad,

Yes I've read alot of Aktse post and I have managed to get in touch with her. I put this post up so she could see some of the shots I recently took.

h
  • Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    If you're getting that kind of light and the colours are jumping as such, then you've got it made. Push the ISO a bit higher still, up the shutter speed that much more and the shots will come out as crisp as can be. I might also add that dialing up your exposure compensation to + 0.3 - +1.0 will also help bring out the highlights (yes at the cost of blowing out the background some) especially inside the helmets. My hockey action can be found here if you'd like to compare EXIF data....

http://southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com/Sports/LaSalle-Vipers-2009-10

All the recent ones shot with Nikon D90 and 80-200 F2.8. Some of the previous shots were with Pentax K20D and DA* 50-135 F2.8.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    Thanks Rob
    BTW - your shot are crisp (DSC_3929 and DSC_4154 nice). I'm hoping to get close. I read your exif data and will try some experimenting. I noticed your exif detail reads that you shot in A mode, ISO 2000

The arena we are in is really good for light - not to the extent of an NHL game but very well lit none the same.

My Sony doesn't give me the flexibility you have I'm afraid (ISO 800 - 1600 - 3200).

Based upon your suggestion I'm thinking ISO 1600, f3.2, 1/500 - 1/640 and 1/800 and see what this yields. If I jump to ISO 3200 I guess the f should run 3.5 - 4.0 and 1/800 or 1/1000.

Thanks - Unfortunately I will be shooting my daughters team in Munich and Prague in April and in arenas that I have no idea what the lighting will be. Probably pretty bad! eek7.gif

I shot in Europe last year - not fun. Used the ice to CWB but this year I have my SpectaSnap (Yes!!!!). Some of the arenas didn't have any glass along the side of the ice - great for shooting but you had to keep your eye on the play.

Thanks for your help.

h
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    headcoach wrote:
    Based upon your suggestion I'm thinking ISO 1600, f3.2, 1/500 - 1/640 and 1/800 and see what this yields. If I jump to ISO 3200 I guess the f should run 3.5 - 4.0 and 1/800 or 1/1000.
    Just curious? Why f/3.2?

The "flatness" of the images that you complain about usually the result of the image lacking a true black and white point (midpoints too). The general statement is that they're lacking "pop"

Dgirn has a tutorial on pop

In general, photos from a P&S tend to have more more pop due since they are run through an image processing algorithm in camera. For dSLR, this tends to be the case unless you're running in the auto modes or specifically turn on the mode. It is assumed the photography will "develop" the digital negatives (RAW)

The sharpness also comes with understand where you are trying to focus and the DOF of your settings.

For example, #3, it seems that you're focused on the player 7, with a shallow DOF with motion blur (trying top action at 1/320) and itt doesn't seem that you're fully locked.

Keep on shooting. And tell your daughter good luck in Europe!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2010
    Hey A!
    Hey Aktse!

I guess the product launch has passed?

Just thought that closing my f-stop a tad may help with my DOF and give me more contrast. But I'm off to the 'pop' post you suggested.

I guess I may be on the wrong AF setting: Spot (Dead Centre)
    There's Wide > Spot > Local with me being able to pick 1 of 9 points.

At least I look like I know what I'm doing with my SpectreSnap pizza plate around my neck :D

Okay.... on to my POP lesson.

Thanks

h
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    headcoach wrote:
    I guess the product launch has passed?
    Nope. Product hasn't launched and I still feel like I'm drowning.
    headcoach wrote:
    Haven't touched these in Lightroom yet (still learning that). Frankly not sure where to start playing around with these shots. Any advise welcome.
    Start with the auto button and adjust from there ne_nau.gif It's one way to handle things... If you get the exposure close enough, it's mainly WB (if the light cycles), levels/curves/blackpoint, etc, sharpening, and you're don
    headcoach wrote:
    Just thought that closing my f-stop a tad may help with my DOF and give me more contrast. But I'm off to the 'pop' post you suggested.
    :nah Closing it up a bit won't impact the "pop" the way that you are imagining it. It will slightly change the exposure and change the DOF. Having a perfectly exposed and lit photo will give you pop that you want SOC. However, with available light indoor sports - the chance of it happen is very low.

And play with this
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Hey A!

Well I pushed the ISO up and tried a few different shutter settings. Tried f3.2 and my sense is that in this arena ISO 800 is right with f2.8 1/500-640 or 800. Just need to work on technique.

Here's a couple of the shots:
    ISO 1600, 135mm and 180mm, f2.8, 1/800
    Noise seems to have picked up.
    I also played with Lightroom on these shots.

4466238189_c8c3d7c8aa_b.jpg

4466301413_6ab3efd9c4_b.jpg

Still have much to learn. Thanks for all the tips they're helping me to get my head around this. Having fun - right now I'm tossing more shots than I'm keeping 11doh.gif