Olympus Pen EP-1 vs EP-2, is the upgrade worth it?

RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited March 19, 2010 in Cameras
OK, about a year ago I ran out and got the EP-1 and so far I am very happy with it, except…

The old problem of a LCD screen in bright sunlight without having a view finder. Now of course, a year later they come out with the EP-2 with a electronic viewfinder. Other than that the only other major flaw was the slow focus/shutter release time. Well, and I also have noted that the battery in the EP-1 is somewhat lacking in shooting time, sometimes barely a day, if left to sleep on its own. So I wonder how the electronic viewfinder would affect battery life.

So I’m wondering…
A. Should I upgrade?
I don’t think they have improved the shutter lag in the new model so the main advantage for me is the viewfinder. This upgrade would include selling the EP-1 with kit lens and everything included, boxed.
B. What would seem like a fair price for the EP-1 if I did?
C. Anyone used any of the Panasonic Micro four-thirds lens on the Olympus EP-1 (or 2)
The 20mm f1.7 pancake lens is temping as is the 70-200 that sells for a good bit less than Olympus’s 50-150 not yet available.

Thanks

RM
http://roadrunes.com
"It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Why not GF1?
    If not now, when?
  • Mr EddyMr Eddy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    As you mentioned, the only real difference between the two is the viewfinder. There's no difference in AF speed.

Lots of EP-1/2 users get the 20mm lens. It's very popular. Lots of sample shots in this thread form both Panasonic and Oly cameras: GetDPI 20mm thread

One option you could consider is grabbing a (used?) G1 which can still be had in various places for pretty good prices. ($640 at B&H). That gives you an alternative with a viewfinder and a slightly bigger body/grip for larger lenses like the 45-200mm.

If I was you I'd hold on to the E-P1 for the moment. Save your money for lenses, there are quite a few coming this year (8mm fisheye, 14mm f/2.5, 100-300mm from Panasonic, plus the Oly ones). Probably at least one more Pana body to come as well (GH2, which is what I'm waiting for).
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Mr Eddy wrote:
    As you mentioned, the only real difference between the two is the viewfinder. There's no difference in AF speed.

Lots of EP-1/2 users get the 20mm lens. It's very popular. Lots of sample shots in this thread form both Panasonic and Oly cameras: GetDPI 20mm thread

One option you could consider is grabbing a (used?) G1 which can still be had in various places for pretty good prices. ($640 at B&H). That gives you an alternative with a viewfinder and a slightly bigger body/grip for larger lenses like the 45-200mm.

If I was you I'd hold on to the E-P1 for the moment. Save your money for lenses, there are quite a few coming this year (8mm fisheye, 14mm f/2.5, 100-300mm from Panasonic, plus the Oly ones). Probably at least one more Pana body to come as well (GH2, which is what I'm waiting for).

Yeah, the fact they may come out with yet another upgrade to the EP line within a year or so does make waiting the most sensiable route, but damn, I do like having a real viewfinder. esp for the focus assist *sigh* :lol
    in the mean time I may just get the optical viewfinder for use with the pancake lens, I often travel with just that one when on the bike since it packs so nice and the less time I spend fiddling with the zoom, the more time spent on composing etc.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    RocketMan wrote:
    OK, about a year ago I ran out and got the EP-1 and so far I am very happy with it, except…

The old problem of a LCD screen in bright sunlight without having a view finder. Now of course, a year later they come out with the EP-2 with a electronic viewfinder. Other than that the only other major flaw was the slow focus/shutter release time. Well, and I also have noted that the battery in the EP-1 is somewhat lacking in shooting time, sometimes barely a day, if left to sleep on its own. So I wonder how the electronic viewfinder would affect battery life.

So I’m wondering…
    A. Should I upgrade?
    I don’t think they have improved the shutter lag in the new model so the main advantage for me is the viewfinder. This upgrade would include selling the EP-1 with kit lens and everything included, boxed.
    B. What would seem like a fair price for the EP-1 if I did?
    C. Anyone used any of the Panasonic Micro four-thirds lens on the Olympus EP-1 (or 2)
    The 20mm f1.7 pancake lens is temping as is the 70-200 that sells for a good bit less than Olympus’s 50-150 not yet available.

Thanks

RM

The EP-1 is a bit less desirable now but since it is built better I think around the price of the EPL-1 would be about right.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    The E-P2 is certainly a camera that made me glad I didn't buy and E-P1 so it very much boils down to how much you want the VF. The suggestions of Panasonic are valid enough but be careful: Panasonic cameras take photos differently to Olympus cameras. I've really struggled to tame my G1 (and it's me, not the G1 that seems to be the issue)......
  • jonboy61jonboy61 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I opted for the EP-2 after watching the news about the EP-1 and the GF-1. I went with the Olympus for two unrelated reasons; the Olympus has in-body stabilization, and I used to have a Pen FT back in the day.
    I have a number of OM lenses that I have adapted using Fotodiox adapters. Plug for Fotodiox, their "pro" adapters are around $90 and seem to work just fine vs. Novoflex, for instance, at $250.
    With the stabilization I can use my 200mm F4 as an effective 400mm, stabilized to boot. I have tried to use the screen when using the manual focus lenses, but the EVF makes the task much more effective.