Why don't we use galleries more often?

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited March 19, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I'm curious with all the discussion about titles, etc, why we don't provide a hook image with links to a gallery with other images. Especially for long series. Many of us use Smugmug for our images. It seems like we aren't really taking good advantage of that resource for commenting and presenting our work.

It's also a personal pet peeve when I open a new post with dozens of images. I tend to be stuck with low-to-slow bandwidth on my travels and it's a downer when I have to wait on so much to render each time I want to check in on the discussion.

Thoughts?

ETA: This is really intended for the Street community. I also think it would be an interesting "Challenge" for each of us to create a "Story" including multiple images possibly with a written narrative using our preferred hosting service and linking back to it here.

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm curious with all the discussion about titles, etc, why we don't provide a hook image with links to a gallery with other images. Especially for long series. Many of us use Smugmug for our images. It seems like we aren't really taking good advantage of that resource for commenting and presenting our work.

It's also a personal pet peeve when I open a new post with dozens of images. I tend to be stuck with low-to-slow bandwidth on my travels and it's a downer when I have to wait on so much to render each time I want to check in on the discussion.

Thoughts?

lol--well I just posted a series, and didnt' stop to think about slow bandwidth.

My guess is that many people probably won't open the galleries ne_nau.gif . Also I tend to put everything in my gallery, including shots I'm not crazy about, the good and the bad (lots of shots). I only post in my series , the ones I really really like.

So maybe I'll try and post a max of 3--will that work?

I know I'm not using smugmug properly because I put everything in there.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    michswiss wrote:

When I have more photos from the same session or trip, I place 3, 4 of the best shots and give a link to the gallery for the rest.
    But most people (like myself mwink.gif) place comments here and not in the gallery under the photo. If the comments are part of the discussion, they belong in the forum. However, if you'd like to leave a comment like 'great photo!', why not leave it in the gallery for the rest of the world to read :D
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I usually post links to the galleries and pretty much every time I do some one will complain because I posted a link instead of putting the shrunk down low quality versions in the thread.

I agree that people should all link to galleries instead of posting in the thread, my opinion, I prefer to view photos in their full size and quality.

Most people simply won't click one button to get there.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I realize that the slideshow feature of the Share button is a Pro only feature, but I'm curious why more Pros don't use this for sharing a full gallery of shots? This way people can view them from within the thread, but you can see an entire gallery without worrying about the size of the thread. Plus if someone clicks on a photo they like it will take them to the gallery where they could leave a comment on it!

Just my 2 cents...
  • WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    lol--well I just posted a series, and didnt' stop to think about slow bandwidth.

My guess is that many people probably won't open the galleries ne_nau.gif . Also I tend to put everything in my gallery, including shots I'm not crazy about, the good and the bad (lots of shots). I only post in my series , the ones I really really like.

So maybe I'll try and post a max of 3--will that work?

I know I'm not using smugmug properly because I put everything in there.

Liz does have a very strong point, many people wont open the galleries, also I believe that if you want C&C you should be able to see the photos in question. I don't really write a lot here, but I do like to read comments from the more participant folks here, and If the photo was not in the thread I would have a hard time learning trying to go from one page to the other just to see what the comment or critique is talking about, much like when a thread gets more than one page worth of replies, when you are on the second page and someone makes a remark of a specific item on the photo, you have to go back a page and then front a page to see what they were talking about, unless of course you have the courtesy of including the picture in your critique (like BD always does, and if there is more than one pic, only the one he is critiquing is shown in his replythumb.gif ).

However, if you want to post 58,095 pics, I think you should use a link to a gallery... just because sometimes a browser will try to display all of the at the same time, so even one will take a looooong time to display... maybe post one or two and a link...

just my 2 cents, they are mexican peso cents so...

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Wineman wrote:

However, if you want to post 58,095 pics, I think you should use a link to a gallery... just because sometimes a browser will try to display all of the at the same time, so even one will take a looooong time to display... maybe post one or two and a link...

just my 2 cents, they are mexican peso cents so...

Z.

This was really what I had in mind. Some number of anchor images with a link to the full gallery.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 19, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    This was really what I had in mind. Some number of anchor images with a link to the full gallery.

I think that's a good idea. Posts with more than five or six images become overwhelming, to me at least. However, it's also true that people tend to be very lazy about clicking on links. So I'm not sure what the best solution is. I usually post my most recent pics, so I think what I'm going to do is change the link in my sig from my home page to my New Pics gallery. Chances are, there will be related shots there for anyone who is interested.ne_nau.gif