The 6 train timemachine

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited March 19, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Evening all,
I reworked this photo and played with the processing.

I was on my lunch break and had to take the train one stop and they were in my train car :)

813609099_qbaFg-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif wrong forum.
    Richard can you please move this to "other cool shots". Of all the forums to accidentally put this in! lol
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I dunno about the sepia - there's something odd about the colour of the girl's coat (camera right). I think B&W would be better (just my opinion…)

Nice job!

thumb.gif

- Wil

BTW: …so what's wrong with leaving it in this forum, anyway… headscratch.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited March 18, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I dunno about the sepia - there's something odd about the colour of the girl's coat (camera right). I think B&W would be better (just my opinion…)

Nice job!

thumb.gif

- Wil

BTW: …so what's wrong with leaving it in this forum, anyway… headscratch.gif

Hi Wil,
    I meant not for this forum because of the processing, the sepia, the cinemascope, the title. I actually posted this exact same shot as part of a series earlier on PJ. I just wanted to really play with the processing--I thought that was the way to go for this post.

Thanks for commenting and yes the b&w is pretty cool.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 19, 2010
    Moved it for you. Personally, I think this would fit just fine in Street--processing and all--but as we know, someone might disagree. rolleyes1.gif

Never a dull moment in the subway. mwink.gif I like it.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    thumb.gif Looks like your train ride timing found you some nice subjects.
    Michael
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    WOW......That is a great shot Lizz.......PP and allclap.gif azzaro
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:

I agree.

I love the processing on this.

Va

Email
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Moved it for you. Personally, I think this would fit just fine in Street--processing and all--but as we know, someone might disagree. rolleyes1.gif

I agree. Street photography should be - in my opinion - an "anything goes" genre since the normal expectations of subject matter and treatment are not a priority. It's not a genre where I expect the people who like it to insist on rules.

I think the sepia treatment adds to the image because it fits the subject matter.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited March 19, 2010
    Richard wrote:

rolleyes1.gif thanks for moving it Richard.
    I can't tell you how many times I kick myself for not having my camera in the subway--it's a great show to catch.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 19, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    thumb.gif Looks like your train ride timing found you some nice subjects.

This was definately a first--the lady trying to sit properly in her hoop skirt was too funny--I wish I had gotten more of her in the shot. Glad I caught that particular train.

Thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 19, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:

Thank you Azzaro :D.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 19, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I agree.

I love the processing on this.

Va

Gracias.
    I wanted it to look like a still from a movie.

My favorite thing about this shot is the regular guy in a tie sitting right in the middle of "them"--he's totally not phased.

Thank you for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 19, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I agree. Street photography should be - in my opinion - an "anything goes" genre since the normal expectations of subject matter and treatment are not a priority. It's not a genre where I expect the people who like it to insist on rules.

I think the sepia treatment adds to the image because it fits the subject matter.

Hi Tony,
    that's why I went with the sepia tx, but I had my doubts because of the subway and the guy in the tie--so I went with the cinemascope on top of the sepia. Glad it works.

The main reason I didn't want it in "street" is because all of the processing--the discussion then would have revolved around my title and the processing. As opposed to the entire shot as a whole.
    Like I said, I did put this shot in PJ amongs others, in my "St. Patrick's Day" post, in pure b&w. So I thought the shot was perfect for Street--but with the PP work, then it just becomes about the PP, on that forum anyway.
    Also, it would have been a double post on the same forum mwink.gif .

I'm glad you like it:)

I learn about processing in different styles on this forum, so that's another reason as well.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Hi Tony,
    that's why I went with the sepia tx, but I had my doubts because of the subway and the guy in the tie--so I went with the cinemascope on top of the sepia. Glad it works.

The main reason I didn't want it in "street" is because all of the processing--the discussion then would have revolved around my title and the processing. As opposed to the entire shot as a whole.
    Like I said, I did put this shot in PJ amongs others, in my "St. Patrick's Day" post, in pure b&w. So I thought the shot was perfect for Street--but with the PP work, then it just becomes about the PP, on that forum anyway.
    Also, it would have been a double post on the same forum mwink.gif .

I'm glad you like it:)

I learn about processing in different styles on this forum, so that's another reason as well.
    I really like the "Street" forum and taking photographs in that genre. However, all the hullaballoo
    about titles and processing is an anathema to me. "Street" is all about capturing what most other
    photographers don't consider to be legitimate. In "Street" we accept blurry figures, clutter in the
    scene, people's backs blocking part of the composition, grainy processing, and over-processed contrast.

Yet, a title that identifies what's in the photo stirs up controversy, and processing in sepia instead of
    black and white makes you worry about the acceptance of an interesting and well-composed photograph.

Arrgh.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited March 19, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I really like the "Street" forum and taking photographs in that genre. However, all the hullaballoo
    about titles and processing is an anathema to me. "Street" is all about capturing what most other
    photographers don't consider to be legitimate. In "Street" we accept blurry figures, clutter in the
    scene, people's backs blocking part of the composition, grainy processing, and over-processed contrast.

Yet, a title that identifies what's in the photo stirs up controversy, and processing in sepia instead of
    black and white makes you worry about the acceptance of an interesting and well-composed photograph.

Arrgh.

I'm with you Tony, trust me I get it.
    But I'm pretty easy going and follow the unwritten rules on PJ--easier that way.

I get my PP, title and chatting penchant out on this forum:) So glad you guys are here.
    Liz A.
    _________