No Tailgating Allowed....Please!!!

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited March 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
811393360_MhhfB-XL.jpg

811393578_n528A-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Judging by the windshield, it looks like the prop is the front of the vehicle eek7.gif A crazy machine for sure. Well capturedthumb.gif
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I'm also interested to know how this vehicle steers. It almost looks like there is a tie rod system on the back wheels/axle but out front there is a cable/pulley system on either side of the body attached to the front axle.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    Nikonic1....

The best I could tell when looking at this thing was that the cables in the rear simply stabilize the rear axle assembly. The front wheels are the steering wheels....utilizing those cables and rods up there. But there doesn't appear to be enough clearence in the front wheels ....between them and the fenders....to allow for steering up front. I decided the rear wheels must do the steering. I just wouldn't want that thing tailgating me very closely.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    That is Marcel Leyat's Hélica. It is indeed steered by the rear wheels and powered by an 8 bhp Scorpion engine. Leyat, who was primarily an airplane designer, came up with several models of propeller-driven automobiles between 1914 and 1923. One version had only one rear wheel.

You can see another of Leyat's Hélicas at full speed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDztOmwuxE .
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    :D Wasn't expecting that. Completely interesting car.
    Have never seen one before.
    Nice shots.

Did watch the video. Thanks Tony.
    Michael
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

I don't think I've ever seen that before, looks like it would be wild.

Neat shooting!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    This is one neat vehicle. I can see myself toolin' down the street in it. It is a vehicle isn't it? Looks like a mini plane.

The car of the future headscratch.gif
    edited March 19, 2010
    Hey Michael,

That thing's a trip, isn't it. One of the the aspects of this show that separates it from all others is that they have such an eclectic gathering of rare vehicles.

Tom
    edited March 19, 2010
    Hey Craig,

There were quite a few really strange vehicles at this year's show. I'll be showing a few more as we go along.

Take care,

Tom
    edited March 19, 2010
    Hi Mary,

I think I'll pass on riding in this thing. I wanted to hang around and watch them fire it up but I had to leave.

Tom
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    I don't know if I've ever seen this one before or not. I'm going to go with "not." :D

Tony: I'm wondering if that video is of the same car, midrestoration. Also, did you notice how the inside rear wheel came off the ground while turning? That could be a bit disheartening during the first few rides.

Wonderful shots, Tom! Great work! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited March 21, 2010
    Hey Lee,

I was wondering the same thing about the video Tony posted. Thanks for the nice comment.

I have some shots especially for you coming up soon.

Tom
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    I think there are only two surviving Hélicas around, so there's a good chance the video is of the same one Tom photographed.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/