Generation Gap

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited March 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
This is a shot that I re-did from a previous DSS Challenge.

813890424_9Lkrs-L.jpg

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Morning Dan,
    I liked this shot when you first posted it for the challenge, but I like it even more now clap.gif . Why didn't you do that before?

I love the contrast of the two males--the pursed lips on the older gentleman says it all, and the kid is priceless.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Morning Dan,
    I liked this shot when you first posted it for the challenge, but I like it even more now clap.gif . Why didn't you do that before?

I love the contrast of the two males--the pursed lips on the older gentleman says it all, and the kid is priceless.

I didn't see this frame when I entered that contest Liz or else I would have.

Dan
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    I think you've caught "Generation Grand Canyon" there, Dan, not just a gap. :D

Nice shot and good fun to look at. thumb.gif

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    What a riot. You can just see the thought bubble above the man's head "what the..."
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Technically, the B&W conversion need some more contrast and finding a white point. Content-wise, I wasn't so interested in the shot until I noticed the apparition of a shadow emerging from the back of the skateboard. It brings a third character into the frame and it adds a "devil may care" aspect to the image that makes it fun.
    edited March 20, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Technically, the B&W conversion need some more contrast and finding a white point. Content-wise, I wasn't so interested in the shot until I noticed the apparition of a shadow emerging from the back of the skateboard. It brings a third character into the frame and it adds a "devil may care" aspect to the image that makes it fun.

Can you elaborate on finding a white point?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    edited March 20, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Can you elaborate on finding a white point?

I'm not a technician, but the conversion is grey. There are some deep blacks but no contrasting white areas. Basically, I'd like it to *pop* a little more. Also I think the composition is on the left two-thirds of the image. Maybe a square crop could add to the story: Skateboard-Shadow, Youth, Maturity.
    edited March 20, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm not a technician, but the conversion is grey. There are some deep blacks but no contrasting white areas. Basically, I'd like it to *pop* a little more. Also I think the composition is on the left two-thirds of the image. Maybe a square crop could add to the story: Skateboard-Shadow, Youth, Maturity.

Thanks. So basically up the contrast?

patti hinton photography
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Love the expression on the old guys face. Nice capture!!

I agree with Michswiss that a square crop might work well with this. As is, though, there is room for the skateboarder to move on by and out of the picture. So I don't know. ne_nau.gif You'd have to try it out and see what you think.

Increasing the contrast wouldn't hurt.

Virginia

Email
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Re-processed with suggestions incorporated:

815465969_aYJVo-L.jpg
    edited March 21, 2010
    Liking it. Definitely a keeper! clap.gif