Options

Feature request: Split Caption and Description

kvkphotokvkphoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited September 1, 2005 in SmugMug Support
It would be really helpful to a lot of us (I am sure), if there would be two separate fields to describe an image: Caption and Description. Caption should allow to type in, say, upto 200-300 characters and the Description should be the memo (a few thouthands with HTML markup).

What happens at the moment is, I type in a few PARAGRAPHS in Caption field and then, when I view the gallery, all I see this: "The Maurist Hu... [more]". I do not think it is very descriptive :dunno . I MUST be able to provide a short, but meanungfull overview on the image that can attract attention or give some understanding what the image is about.

The Caption as I see it (200-300 chars, no HTML) must be shown with the thumbnail and must never be truncated (no "[more]" stuff). When I click on the image, I want to see the image Caption, followed by the long Description (NOT THE GALLERY DESCRIPTION!!!).

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    This is a very good idea. Here are my thoughts on this topic:
    • people have to scroll, because long captions mess with the design
    • alt-tags are to big and result in big popups when holding the mouse over a picture
    • by limiting the caption to a certain character limit like kvkphoto proposed the above problems would be solved
    • introducing a unlimited description field which should be placed below the pictures would give enough room for infos and scrolling would be only necessary to read the additional stuff (including comments, photo infos etc)
    I know that this would involve major changes and might not be possible at all, but I still would like to see it. :D
    A good way to realize this would be by duplicating the caption field and name it description. By default the description should be invisible. Now announce the whole thing on the main page/preferences page etc and set a certain amount of time before cutting the caption down to 200 or whatever characters.
    This should give the most ones enough time to adjust there pages before the changes go live for the visitors.

So, what do you think? Any ideas on this?
    Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2005
    just a little bumping.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NaturalEyeNaturalEye Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    I like this idea too!

Gary
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    Any comment on this from our favorite support team? mwink.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    I like the idea and we will think about it. No promises though, we have lots more things that we would rather get out sooner :)
    Any comment on this from our favorite support team? mwink.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    I like the idea and we will think about it. No promises though, we have lots more things that we would rather get out sooner :)

Wow, that would sure work well for us stock shooters that use both.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2005
    JT,

thanks for the answear - good to know that the idea is now on your mind and not mine anymore. rolleyes1.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    Sounds like IPTC Headline and Caption/Description
    If I'm reading the suggestion correctly, it sounds like you're describing two of the IPTC fields:

1. Headline allows 256 characters
    2. Caption/Description allows 2000 characters

Might as well stick to the NAA/IPTC standard that was specifically written for this purpose. I also suggest that if the metadata is already contained in the image, import it automatically, otherwise let the user enter it via your web interface.

Once you tackle that, how about the rest of the IPTC fields? :):