Noise

choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in Technique
I've always been confused as to how much noise is good. I've seen some really great pictures where too much noise actually looks good. So my question is how much noise is good and on what kind of pictures? Is there a particular subject that works well with a lot of noise? I'm using Canon 40D and am capable of setting the ISO to 1600 without manually changing to 3200. I have a habit of using really low ISO (usually around 200-400) and for some reason dislike going upto 1600 because I think the picture will be too grainy.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Abi

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    to start off..it's all subjective of course.

But to my taste..noise almost never looks good unless the image is in BW. I think that is because BW noise can look like film grain which we already have a archetype for in our heads. As far subject matter..if it is dark to begin with noise might be expedcted or welcome. Often if the subject is gritty or old world, noise can work well as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Thanx Qarik - yes, mostly i've seen a lot of noise in B/W shots and it does work well.
    I guess I just have to try it myself and see how it looks. :)
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    And this might seem like a cop out, the quality of the noise will make a huge impact. There are subtle differences to the noise that can make something image nicely and others that make them dingy, so it will vary. Think about the static sound coming out of a radio versus a TV they are both "noise" but have different characteristics.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    nicely put - i'll def. keep that in mind
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    For me, noise works best (as has already been noted) in a B&W image. But, more than that, it seems to work better in images intended to evoke a strong or moody emotional response.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    For me, noise works best (as has already been noted) in a B&W image. But, more than that, it seems to work better in images intended to evoke a strong or moody emotional response.

I think I agree here.....but I don't convert an image to BW JUST because there is noise present.

I think that sometimes the image.....or it's emotion....overcomes those kinds of shortcomings.

-What we tend to forget is how REALLY awful the graininess was with high ISO film. Much worse...in my opinion...that todays DSLRs....even entry level ones.deal.gif

Even still, a good starting point is to shoot at the LOWEST ISO that will suit your needs. For portraits you can be realatively low to achieve a shutter speed of...say...1/125 minimum. For sports you need to up the ISO to give you at least 1/250th or faster. For landscapes, of course, a tripod should be used, and you can use a long shutter speed and lowest ISO. Opening the aperture can also help attain those speeds at low ISO.

Folks who have done wedding work, or high school sports, usually have a pretty good idea of what is acceptable in print...and what size print. A properly exposed frame shot with a modern DSLR should show little ...if any...noise at ISO1600 on a 4x6 print.thumb.gif