Gent From 23rd Street Portland

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited March 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Had a chance to at least try for some quick streets shots while I was waiting for my daughter.
Turned out to be a flipping failure. Very distracted with being uncomfortable taking pictures
of people on the streets. I'd soooooo like to get over that. :D Anyway, there was this sharp
dressed fellow standing on the front step of one of the many stores on 23rd street Portland OR.
Way casual dude. I could use some of that kind of relaxed. :rofl
By the time I got the shot fairly framed for the second shot he had noticed me. Nuts. Took the
shot awkwardly. Gave him a slight wave and moved on. Pretty unhappy with my discomfort.
Maybe if I take a chill pill before my next effort. :scratch Wonder if he had?

813977076_g4Fz2-XL.jpg
Michael

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    DaddyO,

I COMPLETELY understand you. I thought about seeing a shrink and asking for Xanex prior to street shooting rolleyes1.gif .

This is the part I want to share with you. I just recently noticed that I've gotten comfortable with the whole process. I am now much more concerned about nailing a shot and it seems my discomfort comes a distant second. I don't know when it happened, but it did.

I also notice that if I don't try and be discreet it works better for me. I just shoot quickly, but I dont' try and sneak shots anymore, doesn't work for me.

As for this shot--oh so close. Love the relaxed way about him, hanging back and smoking his cigarrette, but as you know it's kind of blurry and I think he's looking directly at you suspiciously, which kind of takes away from the (relaxed part).

Just keep shooting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Liz. :D Would like to thank you much for sharing all that.
    Great stuff for me to get to hear and utilize.

I can visualize myself adopting the approach you have come to find that
    works for you. Fairly sure I can develop an ease at it that I have never
    had before using it. Way cool. Think I'll print it out and stick it front page
    in my cam bag notebook. Replacing my old front page check list which
    starts with insure memory cards and batteries are fresh and installed.
    Then trips out from there. deal.gif

Love the way you relayed your thoughts on the shot. Just tell it like it is.
    The truth is after all the truth and I thank you for knowing I did see it too.
    Regardless, I posted the take anyway because it was relevant to my
    little spiel on topic. Will make sure I go with faster shutter speed
    than 1/60 and ap at f8 and try not to recoil jerk the cam when found
    out. But of course there won't be anymore serious caring when that
    happens. Thanks Liz. :D Michael
    Michael
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 20, 2010
    I love the posture and clothing. I hate to sound like a nag from that other forum but in this one, I would really consider a B&W. I think the strong green of the plants and splotch of red on the right are drawing attention away from the line of the figure, which IMO is the best part of the shot.
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    I think you come away with a very good shot Michael. It certainly doesn't look rushed, the comp is great. I also feel uncomfortable shooting strangers, with a camera I mean.:D
    edited March 20, 2010
    wendell wrote:
    I think you come away with a very good shot Michael. It certainly doesn't look rushed, the comp is great. I also feel uncomfortable shooting strangers, with a camera I mean.:D
    Thank you Wendell. Nice of you to say that. thumb.gif I do try like everybody to
    get a more correct than not composition. I've done it enough now it
    comes pretty quick. :D The more better part. ;-)

I think if we both follow the suggestion Liz put out there we will get
    a long ways with our comfort zone in taking pictures of people in
    places other than events. For sure, I intend to work on this as I believe
    its fairly important to my overall photography desires. In the case of
    street and PJ, I would very much like to do more. I see it but I am not
    firing off on it nearly enough.

rolleyes1.gifYour, "Shooting strangers. With a camera I mean."
    I won't get into G&A just now. But I will say its on my radar
    and has been for sometime. :D
    Michael
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Would you believe me if I said I'm alway nervous when shooting street. It's hard but addictive. I run my camera in manual and one thing I'm always doing is spot checking the light and potential exposure to minimise any thinking if I see a shot. Don't worry too much about camera shake. I feel lucky if I have enough light to use 1/60 at f8.

He looks like a really relaxed dude. I bet if you'd stood your ground, he probably would have forgotten about you and returned to his ciggie.
    edited March 22, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Would you believe me if I said I'm alway nervous when shooting street. It's hard but addictive. I run my camera in manual and one thing I'm always doing is spot checking the light and potential exposure to minimise any thinking if I see a shot. Don't worry too much about camera shake. I feel lucky if I have enough light to use 1/60 at f8.

He looks like a really relaxed dude. I bet if you'd stood your ground, he probably would have forgotten about you and returned to his ciggie.
    Thanks for commenting Jennifer. :D
    Yes, it appears we are certainly not the only nervous puppies when out
    shooting street pics. I think its good to speak up about it though so we
    can find ways to get over it and stay out there trying for something to
    come together.
    I got a great chuckle out of "stood your ground". I think you are
    exactly right for what would have happened and I do wish it would have
    come off that way in that moment. If only I would have had it together
    that day. Also got a hoot out of "returned to his ciggie". rolleyes1.gifFor the
    record he was also chatting it up with some folks at the foot of the stair
    too. And I too have that ciggie habit. My bad. :D
    Am watching the "War Photographer". In it, its widely shown he fires of
    in manual mode and is constantly checking his handheld light meter.
    I think 1/60 is pretty slow for me. So I am bumping the ISO and keeping the
    f stop 5.6 to 8 range where possible.
    My thanks again. Michael
    Michael
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Aah, the anxieties of a street photographer - I know them all too well, believe me mwink.gif.

I have found that I have good days and bad days - and sometimes, I just can't get into it at all. There are a few tricks I have adopted throughout my outings, maybe these will help:

1. Take your camera OUT. Don't leave it in your bag wandering around, waiting to spot that perfect scenario. I always feel uncomfortable when I first pull out my camera to point it at people, it's much easier after it's been around my neck for a while, even if only to take pics of random distraction objects like manhole covers, bubble gum machines and the likes.

2. To get into things, I sometimes start with taking pics only of people with their backs turned to me. Those rarely work as interesting shots, but I consider them "warm-ups" and once in a while, I get a good one, too.

3.) When I do find a person in an intriguing position or situation and that person seemingly notices/suddenly looks at me, I casually put the camera down and squint at the sky or look right past them, check my display, then raise the camera again. This often works wonders in reassuring the person, that he or she is not my prime target.

4.) Last but not least (and unfortunately I am not nearly as aggressive as I used to be), if somebody does notice you and starts to holler in your direction - now, that's the very moment to take the picture, and if it's the last thing you do. I got quite a few good ones like that :D.

As far as critiquing your picture - well, I totally agree that it is a nice capture, so much so that it doesn't actually look like street photography anymore, but rather like a posed shot. You almost did TOO well, and it kind of works against you here, because as a posed portrait, this picture has too many technical flaws.

But still, I totally applaud the effort and I like the result.
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Hi Michael,

I don't often shoot Street & PJ so I don't have very much in the way of advice or tips for you. Fortunately, there's no shortage of learned folks on these forums who can be of aid in that regard. But I can encourage you to keep expanding your horizons so you can grow your considerable talents. I'm with you in spirit.

BTW, I do like this shot.
    Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 23, 2010
    I'm with you in spirit.
    Tom
    :D Hard to beat backup like that.
    Michael
    edited March 23, 2010
    saltydog wrote:
    Aah, the anxieties of a street photographer - I know them all too well, believe me mwink.gif.

I have found that I have good days and bad days - and sometimes, I just can't get into it at all. There are a few tricks I have adopted throughout my outings, maybe these will help:

1. Take your camera OUT. Don't leave it in your bag wandering around, waiting to spot that perfect scenario. I always feel uncomfortable when I first pull out my camera to point it at people, it's much easier after it's been around my neck for a while, even if only to take pics of random distraction objects like manhole covers, bubble gum machines and the likes.

2. To get into things, I sometimes start with taking pics only of people with their backs turned to me. Those rarely work as interesting shots, but I consider them "warm-ups" and once in a while, I get a good one, too.

3.) When I do find a person in an intriguing position or situation and that person seemingly notices/suddenly looks at me, I casually put the camera down and squint at the sky or look right past them, check my display, then raise the camera again. This often works wonders in reassuring the person, that he or she is not my prime target.

4.) Last but not least (and unfortunately I am not nearly as aggressive as I used to be), if somebody does notice you and starts to holler in your direction - now, that's the very moment to take the picture, and if it's the last thing you do. I got quite a few good ones like that :D.

As far as critiquing your picture - well, I totally agree that it is a nice capture, so much so that it doesn't actually look like street photography anymore, but rather like a posed shot. You almost did TOO well, and it kind of works against you here, because as a posed portrait, this picture has too many technical flaws.

But still, I totally applaud the effort and I like the result.
    Jana. Thanks for your taking the time to share all this good stuff. thumb.gif
    I can surely use it and doubtless that others will find it helpful also.
    Its nice to have a leg up ahead of time to trim short potential problems
    and what to do about it should a person run across one.

I'm still rolleyes1.gifat the point as portrait "this picture has too many
    technical flaws".
    Did I not mention that my photography and technical flaws go hand
    in hand? :D:D:D Working for free has built in allowances for that. mwink.gif
    Michael
  • Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Deja Vu
    DaddyO wrote:
    Had a chance to at least try for some quick streets shots while I was waiting for my daughter.
    Turned out to be a flipping failure. Very distracted with being uncomfortable taking pictures
    of people on the streets. I'd soooooo like to get over that. :D Anyway, there was this sharp
    dressed fellow standing on the front step of one of the many stores on 23rd street Portland OR.
    Way casual dude. I could use some of that kind of relaxed. rolleyes1.gif
    By the time I got the shot fairly framed for the second shot he had noticed me. Nuts. Took the
    shot awkwardly. Gave him a slight wave and moved on. Pretty unhappy with my discomfort.
    Maybe if I take a chill pill before my next effort. headscratch.gif Wonder if he had?

813977076_g4Fz2-XL.jpg

As soon as I saw your post, I knew exactly who you had shot..
    I was in Portland this past weekend shooting hockey games, and had time free during the day so I took my son out for a stroll. We ate our way up and down 23rd street, and both of us saw your subject smoking on the foyer of his shop. You nailed him. Great capture...not sure when you shot him, but Saturday he had the same outfit on with different colors...
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Hi DaddyO - Michael :D I never knew your name before -- I learned something tonight.

I won't critique this as I'm not a street photographer. Wish I was, but I too have a fear of pointing a camera at a person. So I concentrate beyond my subject...it works. Also if my hubby is with me I'll start talking about something beyond my subject and even point. Looks like I'm interested in something else. Just wish I lived in a big city for more opportunity and experience.

As for your shot -- he's a good subject that's for sure. Lots of character :D
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    I went to the Winter Park Art Festival this past weekend with the express purpose of taking candid shots of people.
    It's a huge event, so the crowds were out.

I am also uncomfortable being noticed taking photos, and it's worse for me now that I've almost stopped using
    my 55/200 and gone to the 18/55. I have to get closer, and I don't like photos where the subject is looking at me.

What I do is sneaky...I aim the camera at something or someone off to the left or right and then quickly shift the
    camera to the subject. I shoot in burst, so I can usually pick from one to three shots.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    That is a great shot, Michael....... Really well done!!! :Dazzaro
    edited March 24, 2010
    As soon as I saw your post, I knew exactly who you had shot..
    I was in Portland this past weekend shooting hockey games, and had time free during the day so I took my son out for a stroll. We ate our way up and down 23rd street, and both of us saw your subject smoking on the foyer of his shop. You nailed him. Great capture...not sure when you shot him, but Saturday he had the same outfit on with different colors...

Pretty neat you and your son also saw this gent right in my shot time
    frame. I suspected he was the store owner and now its fairly confirmed. One of the reasons I didn't BW this take was the color of his cloths. They nicely matched the store front almost like that was kinda planned and further pointed to some of his personal color choices for things.

23rd street and 21st are a great way to take in an aspect of Portland
    as you did. So much variety visually and best of all the FOOD,drink and people. I know my daughter loves living in the area. Walks to work and
    is just a mere half block off 23rd.

Hope your photography effort at the hockey games went very well for
    you and your son. thumb.gif
    Thanks for the nice comment on this picture. :D
    Michael
    edited March 24, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi DaddyO - Michael :D I never knew your name before -- I learned something tonight.

I won't critique this as I'm not a street photographer. Wish I was, but I too have a fear of pointing a camera at a person. So I concentrate beyond my subject...it works. Also if my hubby is with me I'll start talking about something beyond my subject and even point. Looks like I'm interested in something else. Just wish I lived in a big city for more opportunity and experience.

As for your shot -- he's a good subject that's for sure. Lots of character :D
    A good approach to it Mary. I do similar.
    As for living in a big city I can tell you having lived in a much smaller city
    that I am way happier just getting to visit a bigger city and then coming
    back home to less conjestion.
    Michael
    edited March 24, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I went to the Winter Park Art Festival this past weekend with the express purpose of taking candid shots of people.
    It's a huge event, so the crowds were out.

I am also uncomfortable being noticed taking photos, and it's worse for me now that I've almost stopped using
    my 55/200 and gone to the 18/55. I have to get closer, and I don't like photos where the subject is looking at me.

What I do is sneaky...I aim the camera at something or someone off to the left or right and then quickly shift the
    camera to the subject. I shoot in burst, so I can usually pick from one to three shots.

Seems the 55/200 would do for most things and easier to get by
    without being noticed. Will admit that I used a 17/50 for this photo.
    My preference is to not carry a gear bag. But that sticks me with just
    one lens and mere essentials. Am thinking if I can get a really small gear
    bag that doesn't look like a camera bag I can have the longer lens too.

The sneaky (more like clever) thing you do is a great and easier approach.
    thumb.gif
    Michael
    Michael
    edited March 24, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    That is a great shot, Michael....... Really well done!!! :Dazzaro

Thanks for saying Gary. :D
    Helps me keep my chin up with a little more
    confidence that I can at least get close for good shot.
    Michael
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    My secret is a very long lens. Works like a charm.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited March 25, 2010
    Justiceiro wrote:
    My secret is a very long lens. Works like a charm.
    On my last brief effort out I used my 70-200 Sigma F2.8. Didn't seem
    to be a restricting factor and I did get to keep a fair distance. Still got
    noticed several times.
    So I find myself wondering if a change of cloths is in order too. :D
    Michael
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    On my last brief effort out I used my 70-200 Sigma F2.8. Didn't seem
    to be a restricting factor and I did get to keep a fair distance. Still got
    noticed several times.
    So I find myself wondering if a change of cloths is in order too. :D

As soon as you try not to be noticed you will be. Someone lurking about with a long lens pointed at you from a distance will trigger more reactions than someone with a short lens up close. Of course, a change of clothes might help too! :D
    edited March 27, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    As soon as you try not to be noticed you will be. Someone lurking about with a long lens pointed at you from a distance will trigger more reactions than someone with a short lens up close. Of course, a change of clothes might help too! :D
    Seriously Jennifer. I make every effort NOT to lurk. But I do a great
    impression as an idiot with a camera. Buying cloths to match that
    persona wouldn't be all that hard to do down at the thrifty-nickel.
    I wonder what I could work out with say... a darkish and very long coat? headscratch.gif
    Slacks or jeans with that? Some comfortable running shoes too. :D
    Michael