N AZ and S Utah Views

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited March 23, 2010 in Landscapes
Here are a few shots I got on my trip up to the Lake Powell area earlier this week.

The first is off Alstrom Point overlooking Lake Powell.

813620805_VASLV-X2.jpg

These two are from Lower Antelope Slot Canyon East of Page

815681392_G7aJU-XL.jpg

815682475_rP6gx-XL.jpg

These two are overlooking Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado river

813623235_qioSR-X2.jpg

813623648_7udch-X2.jpg

Pics 1, 4 & 5 are my first attempt at HDR so hopefully not over done. 2 and 3 of Antelope slot canyon are just out of the camera with minor PP slider tweaks.

Any CC would be very welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• mtullymtully Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Awesome shots!clap.gif

The great advice I got here on the forum regarding the HDR shots is to bump up the curves to get a greater tonal range. They can be a bit too flat otherwise.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I like the details you are getting in 1, 4 and 5 but they seem a little flat with regard to contrast. That's kind of par for the course with HDR. I usually wind up going back in Photoshop and applying a curves adjustment to bring back the contrast.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Thanks for the input. I'll give that a shot.

It was funny, I tried to run a few of the slot canyon bracketed photos through Photomatixs but for some reason the software couldn't handle the images well. It kept running things like black stripes on the rock off into the air??

Maybe too complex an image to process for HDR? I liked how the out of camera shots came out anyway. I was just playing with the HDR approach.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I saw these over on EXPO and I think this is a great set of pictures. You did really well on capturing some awesome shots. I want to go to all of these places. Well done!clap.gif
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
    edited March 19, 2010
    Sexy6Chick wrote:
    I saw these over on EXPO and I think this is a great set of pictures. You did really well on capturing some awesome shots. I want to go to all of these places. Well done!clap.gif

Thanks Natalie. They are an easy deal to get to as long as you don't go in March when the roads are a muddy mess. :D

I'd be happy to send you the GPS coordinates if you want to go attack them.

I can't take credit for the locations. Others pointed me to these spots including Aaron. I appreciate the community's support and advice pursuing my hobby. :-)

Brad
    edited March 20, 2010
    Second attempt an improvement?
    OK second try here. I brought the HDR images of Horseshoe Bend into Lightroom and increased the tonal curves to add more contrast and dialed down the color saturation. Do these look better now?

814573265_BsnRf-XL.jpg

814573282_sWL5K-XL.jpg

814573293_8TCPW-XL.jpg
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    First, I didn't notice any obvious HDR look to the photos and still really don't even after I read that three pics were HDR...that's a good start IMO. The first picture looks great and kept me looking at it for a few minutes. The two Antelope Canyon shots are nice too. I like the dark edges converging to very warm light. Of the redos of the Horseshoe Bend I prefer the second one. The others, though not having the muddy shadows of HDR, do seem a bit oversaturated. However, the second redo looks nice to me. thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    The first is my favorite, you got the hdr just right in that one, also like the slot canyon shots. Good stuff.

The bend photos are tilted to the right and there is some sensor dust near the bottom of the last one in the water.

The originals do not look sharp and then need just a bit of normal contrast.
    The redone versions I do not like.
    Go back to the originals, straighten them, give them a levels adjustment, up the contrast a bit give them the right amount of sharpening and they will probably look pretty darn good.

Overall a nice set of an amazing area.
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Great shots. I love the slot canyon shots.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Brad, that first shot is truly special clap.gifclap.gif
    edited March 20, 2010
    Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. I'm just learning this process so I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Dan. Always respect your feedback. :-)
    edited March 21, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    The first is my favorite, you got the hdr just right in that one, also like the slot canyon shots. Good stuff.

The bend photos are tilted to the right and there is some sensor dust near the bottom of the last one in the water.

The originals do not look sharp and then need just a bit of normal contrast.
    The redone versions I do not like.
    Go back to the originals, straighten them, give them a levels adjustment, up the contrast a bit give them the right amount of sharpening and they will probably look pretty darn good.

Overall a nice set of an amazing area.

I went back to original of the one I liked and removed the dust spots and a piece of paper on the foreground, did some minor contrast and levels adjustments and I think this one is now a keeper. Thanks.

815538584_rWgpA-XL.jpg
    edited March 22, 2010
    Still crooked tilted to the right, look at the water not the horizon.
    Did you do noise reduction to it, trying to figure why it looks soft.
    This one does look better....to me.
    edited March 22, 2010
    zoomer wrote:

Your right, I was looking at th horizon. :-) I'll try a little tilt left.

Yes I had some noise in the sky so I ran a pass of Noiseware against it. Maybe a tad too much softening.

Thanks for your continued input.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 22, 2010
    Agree with Zoomer. You've noise-reduced significant detail out of the horseshoe bend shots. I love the first Lake Powell shot, but I think you've lost detail there as well. You should apply noise reduction selectively to just the sky. Even better, manually blend the sky from the underexposed shot on top of the HDR. No noise reduction needed if you do that, and you'll have the best possible sky. The slot canyon shots are excellent as is. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    #1 and #4 - WOW. Love them...

Cheers,
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    love the layers in #1
    I really like how the bottom of the clouds mimics/parallels the strata in the rocks, that makes the first photo really unique to me.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited March 23, 2010
    zoomer wrote:

OK here's a complete redo with the HDR smoothing reduced, preserved more detail and tilted a bit to the left. Man there so many options in this process it will take a lot of practice to get good at it.

817583433_Royb7-XL.jpg
    edited March 23, 2010
    Yes that is where your sharpness went....see the detail in the rock now.
    I am not sure on the level of this photo, looks like if you even out the water it will look tilted to the left if you straighten the horizon it looks tilted to the right...hmmmm.....
    edited March 23, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Yes that is where your sharpness went....see the detail in the rock now.
    I am not sure on the level of this photo, looks like if you even out the water it will look tilted to the left if you straighten the horizon it looks tilted to the right...hmmmm.....

Maybe just split the difference in tilt between the two. headscratch.gif
    edited March 23, 2010
    Here's a tilt "tweener" version.

817626289_SteJu-XL.jpg
  • morgan20morgan20 Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    amazing amazing amazing photos. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif