Options

Book Recommendations

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited March 16, 2012 in Weddings
Hey all, I'm looking for an all in one book that is a must have. I have a wedding to shoot in a month, and I'm starting to do more research. I'm looking for a book that has everything from the process, etiquette, scheduling, etc...as well as plenty of photos to inspire, and to recall positions at the time of ceremony.

Any suggestions? I know I could search, but I'm at work and it's easier if I just make a quick post. Thanks!
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Dionysus wrote:
    Hey all, I'm looking for an all in one book that is a must have. I have a wedding to shoot in a month, and I'm starting to do more research. I'm looking for a book that has everything from the process, etiquette, scheduling, etc...as well as plenty of photos to inspire, and to recall positions at the time of ceremony.

Any suggestions? I know I could search, but I'm at work and it's easier if I just make a quick post. Thanks!
    I was very impressed by the book "Captured by the Light" by David Ziser. It is very up to date and seems to cover all the bases. I'm sure there are a hundred more, but I liked this one.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    While I haven't read it yet (my copy should be here on Tuesday.) I have to also recommend David Ziser's "Captured By The Light". I've compared it to many others in the local bookstores and nothing else comes close. It's a perennial cookbook of wedding and portrait photography, complete with descriptions and diagrams.

If you order it from David Ziser by 3/31, I believe he will autograph it and also include a CD of the accompanying Web-Cast. Alternatively, it's available from Kelby Training with a nice discount for NAPP members.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    cool thanks guys..i heard a lot about this book from others as well..the price tag just put me off a little and wanted to make sure before going ahead and buying. Thanks so much!
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I ordered it from Barnes and Noble, and I am a club member, it is also cheaper if you order online and they had free shipping, total cost $39.19. I can't wait to get it.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    The two wedding books on my wish list are:

1) "Captured by the Light" by David Ziser ($34.64 total cost at Amazon) ISBN: 0321646878

2) "Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories" by Glen Johnson ($19.79 at Amazon) ISBN: 0471790176

I attended a David Ziser live in-person workshop last learn (prior to his book being published) and it was very informative. Scott Kelby was a driving force in getting Ziser to write a book. The book includes a lot of the information Ziser shares in his live workshops so it's a must have for me.

I found the second book via browsing at local bookstores. It has been a few months since I browsed through it, however I looked at a lot of wedding photog books and IMO it was the best of the bunch (that I looked at).

I would highly recommend browsing through the available books at your local bookstore before making a decision.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Got my book ...Captured by the Light , It is AMAZING. wings.gifwings.gifwings.gifdeal.gifdeal.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif :ivar :ivar I have purchased about 20 books in the last 2 years regarding digital photography, but not on weddings, and I'd rank this one #1 for information easy to digest, step by step, easy diagrams. Get this book ! I booked my first wedding, it's in July and this book will make me very confident that I can do this and do it well!thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Yep - I also received my copy of "Captured..." this week. It would still be worth every penny at twice the price. If you're looking for a single Wedding Photography book with the most "how-to" bang-for-the-buck, this is the one.

FWIW - I shot my first wedding last Sept. I had planned to attend Ziser's Digital Wakeup Call seminar before hand, but the wedding date got pushed up. So I spent a month pouring through his wedding tutorials on Kelby Training to prepare. Much of that material is now included in his book. Between the book and his other sources, you would be very well prepared to shoot your first wedding. (Assuming you also have the equipment...)
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    "Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories" by Glen Johnson ($19.79 at Amazon) ISBN: 0471790176

"Digital Photography Bootcamp" by Kevin Kubota..... you can't go wrong with this one.

I got this book last year. The best all-inclusive book to date.
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    This one is old thread but quick question to people - if you've tried Kindle version of this book or it has too many color images which will not work well with Kindle edition ? Just want to make sure before I order either of them.
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Dionysus wrote: »

I have a few excellent recommendations I recently pruchased to shoot a family wedding in Italy which covered all areas. This on wedding photography book by Damien Lovegrove. You can find it here, I believe. It really helped me build a structure of how I was going to plan for the wedding and it gives step by step instructions. The only issue was I found it cheaper from third party sites. So try these websites for more photography book discounts, Amzon.co.uk offers a range of sellers so you can choose from the cheapest prics, Group on.ie offers daily discounts so its worht checking back on the site for weekly for deals on books ans lastly Bridaldiscountbook.com, is superb for a wide range of books.

wings.gif
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    BeachBill wrote: »
    The two wedding books on my wish list are:

1) "Captured by the Light" by David Ziser ($34.64 total cost at Amazon) ISBN: 0321646878

2) "Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories" by Glen Johnson ($19.79 at Amazon) ISBN: 0471790176

I have both of these...

1.) What can I say...like all the rest...wonderful book. Bought it in 2010.

2.) DWP by Glen Johnson came out a while back, it's a great read. Bought it in 2007. Highly recommended.

Before you buy one...look at both...if memory serves me right...I think Glenn Johnson is more practical in a down to Earth way. I think it's a better book for photographers new to weddings.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Good luck.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    If your the type of person that would sooner watch a video, then go to Jerry Day's website. There is a DVD by Paul Thompson titled Wedding Photography. Paul takes you on 2 different wedding shoots and explains what he does as he does it. I bought it and I think it is worth the money I spent for it. The part that I liked the most is where he shows posing for the formals. Hope this may help someone.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    If your the type of person that would sooner watch a video, then go to Jerry Day's website. There is a DVD by Paul Thompson titled Wedding Photography. Paul takes you on 2 different wedding shoots and explains what he does as he does it. I bought it and I think it is worth the money I spent for it. The part that I liked the most is where he shows posing for the formals. Hope this may help someone.

GaryB

Thanks for your recommendation, but it is hard to see how he covers 2 weddings in 40 minutes and gives you tips on running wedding business.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    mjoshi123 wrote: »
    Thanks for your recommendation, but it is hard to see how he covers 2 weddings in 40 minutes and gives you tips on running wedding business.

This video/movie would be a good starting point in the learning process. Some people may not have attended a wedding before and don't have a clue what's involved. Paul Thompson gives the basics of all aspects of a wedding and what could be expected of the photographer. He also shows how he deals with several lighting conditions as well. From watching this video myself, I seen how some of his tips could be applied to other areas like posing for portraits. I'm not saying that this is the only thing needed to learn the wedding business, but it sure helps to understand what your reading when you read that book that goes into great detail. Back in the 80's when I first started out shooting film, I read alot of books. Most of it I understood, some I didn't. I probably would have understood it more if they had these type of videos back then. Trust me, there is alot of useful information packed into that 40 minute video. The video is broken down into 12 chapters and they are as follows:

1. Customer Relations 2. Pre-Ceremony Photos 3. Altar Photos 4. Spontaneous Photos 5. Ceremony Photos 6. Post Ceremony Photos 7. Reception Photos 8. Lighting 9. Posing the Bride & Groom 10. Outdoor Romantic Photos 11. Wedding Day Tour 12. Forms & Contracts

As I said, he doesn't go into great detail, that's what the books are for. It basically says on the back of the case that this video gives insight and understanding of the photographers role and tasks in the art and business of wedding photography. Some people may watch this video and decide that weddings is not for them, while some may want to persue it further.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams