A Landscape with s90...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited March 23, 2010 in Landscapes
This a picture I took on my way to work yesterday morning. I was not entirely sure about this crop and I think I need to go back and clone out the barbed wire fence possibly. Comments welcomed.

Thanks, Ron

813987061_xnkda-XL.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    The colors and detail in the foreground are interesting. But I'm feeling there is too much sky, especially as there aren't any clouds or other features to grab the eye.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I think I agree--too much sky. What do you think about a panoramic crop? You could even crop out much of the wire if you wanted to. It's not that noticeable but if you could clone it easily it might be better. I love the mood of this one, Ron--very soothing to my soul!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    If you lose 50% of the sky it makes for a stronger image, then the thirds rule kicks in and works here.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    I just bought a S90 myself and i think the zoom is a limiting factor here. agree with previous posters, perhaps in the future go nearer the water or do something else to make up for the lack of zoom. i like the subtle white frost in the foreground thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Ron,

I actually like the large sky with its incredibly smooth gradation. But a bit darker or more contrast may enhance that effect and "save the crop" I, also think the pano would look good but the space would be lost. You might try cropping more from the bottom, just above the wire. This will emphasis the gradation in the sky even more, maybe?
    Nice pond thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    You have two photos here, crop from the bottom to accentuate the nice colors in the sky or crop out just over half the sky to accentuate the pond.

Since the pond is not really strong enough to stand on it's own I would crop to the bottom of the dark spot on the hill in the middle bottom to accentuate the sky.

Nice sharp photo, good stuff.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Ron,

I actually like the large sky with its incredibly smooth gradation. But a bit darker or more contrast may enhance that effect and "save the crop" I, also think the pano would look good but the space would be lost. You might try cropping more from the bottom, just above the wire. This will emphasis the gradation in the sky even more, maybe?
    Nice pond thumb.gif

+1 on the crop. I was thinking something similar, too!

Ron, your shot reminded me instantly of this one. :D