Is this the kind of treatment you're used to?

angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
edited March 23, 2010 in Cameras
I don't typically rant, push or promote any one camera system over any other.

I have registered every little Nikon I have bought over the course of the last three years...you know the drill, go to the Nikon site, log in, write tiny little numbers in tiny little detail...bla,bla.blah, D70, D70S, D200, D300, D700, SB600's, SB800...whatever, Nikon Registered.

So, about two weeks ago I buy a Canon 5Dmk2. Nice. Register it, easy.
TOday, i get a package from Canon with all kinds of stuff:

1. $100 Voucher for out of Warranty repair.
2. 3 (working day) turn around for Canon Service Center Repairs.
3. 20% Discount on Service and Parts for Canon Factory Service Center Repairs.
4. Priority telephone Support.
5.Exclusive E-mail Support Address.
6.Automatic e-mail notification of Firmware and Software Updates.

They Sent me two Shipping Labels all ready to go to their Factory Service Center...and the Voucher was in the Envelope too.

In truth I hope I never need any of it...but it was such a pleasant surprise to know one camera company finally decided my purchase had value, ergo I have value.

Thanks Canon USA!
tom wise

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 19, 2010
    WTG Canon. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Looks to me like they expect to see that camera quite often..........
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Looks to me like they expect to see that camera quite often..........
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Yeah...that was my first thought, after I got over the Wow effect.

Second thought was " Oh, how well they know me!" They know I'll probably buy used stuff to augment my new camera and then IT may need a repair!

And if IT does, then I got a foot up on a repair, plus from their techs.

I accepted long ago that I was a no body in Nikon's eyes, and perhaps understandably so. But Canon also just showed me they can reach out to individual camera owners. And that is a broad set of Marketing/goodwill arms~

SO yeah, WTG Canon!
    tom wise
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    The little things
    It's the little things that cost very little that gives your customers that nice warm feeling and engenders a little future loyalty. What Canon have done here is very commendable.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 21, 2010
    Great post, Tom. Two things come to mind for me. First, I am now officially sad that I never register my equipment. I wonder what they'd do if I sent it all my old warranty cards en masse. rolleyes1.gif

Second, you're a Nikon guy, and just bought a 5DMII? Do tell? ear.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited March 21, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Great post, Tom. Two things come to mind for me. First, I am now officially sad that I never register my equipment. I wonder what they'd do if I sent it all my old warranty cards en masse. rolleyes1.gif

Second, you're a Nikon guy, and just bought a 5DMII? Do tell? ear.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    Ha! Ya got me Joel,

Yeah. Finally put my money where my pie-hole is! I often say doesn't matter what eq...just get what works. Lord knows I love and am totally invested in Nikon. But after reviewing here, there and everywhere, I got the 5DMk2 for video! I've had it now going on a Month I guess. And I've probably pressed the shutter , geeess, maybe 60 times. But I've shot enough video to make yer eyes water in that period. So I've been bustin my butt learning vid and software to go with it. That camera combined with my Nikon glass is some of the cleanest video I've seen. One interesting side effect is, I've learned I can manually focus about as good as I can auto focus. Oh, I whined a few days, no doubt, when I first took this Canon out for a hike and tried to figure out how it works...but after forcing myself to get over it, in three days time, I love the thing. I love it for what it does and can do, and I love the difference. It is just another interface.

My ego wanted me to buy the D3S. My pragmatic self couldn't go there. I just couldn't resolve what I was gettin for the money plopped down on a D3S...when all I really wanted was to learn DSLR Video~

So thats my Story...Canon has been a pleasant surprise so far, and I hope the love continues~
    tom wise
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 22, 2010
    Thanks for the explanation, Tom. That's very interesting. You're not the first person I've heard about that's bought the 5DMII for video. I wish I had an excuse to use it more often myself. Huge learning curve there, especially factoring in video editing. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Personally I like the fact that I can call Nikon's service center in El Segundo, CA and order parts directly. I've saved hundreds of dollars on two flash tube replacements that way. Not sure if you can do that with Canon but it seems like I've read that you can't.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 23, 2010
    Personally I like the fact that I can call Nikon's service center in El Segundo, CA and order parts directly. I've saved hundreds of dollars on two flash tube replacements that way. Not sure if you can do that with Canon but it seems like I've read that you can't.

Canon replacement parts can be ordered by individuals directly "if" you know the part number. If you don't have a part number they tend to be less helpful in getting the part number for you, but that depends upon who you actually deal with and how busy they are.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 23, 2010

I've not had any personal dealings with Nikon repair Centers. I shoot Nikon and will continue. But, I can safely say, I'll consider using Canon's service center, simply because of the effort they put into showing me they are on-board with my purchase/use of their systems.
    tom wise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Good luck with your video efforts.

I guess I will go and register my Canon things. A few items each month and see what happens. They had a discount/rebate last fall for folks that had registered equipment recently. I hadn't so I missed out.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    a friend of mine who bought a d3 was mentioning the similar treatment from Nikon.
    I wonder if it is the kind of camera that makes the difference.

Kind of like when you buy a 600.000 Mercedes, they deliver it to your door, and give you a key in a nice silver box etc.. headscratch.gif
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook