More from Owyhee County

acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in Landscapes
So although this past week was my Spring Break (grad student) plans changed from day to day. Initially I was going to spend the week in Moab. That fell through so I was going to spend some time down in Owyhee County. I only ended up going down for one morning of shooting; still staying busy with grad school despite the break. Anyway, I got up really early on Wednesday and headed down the some interesting rock formations along Poison Creek Rd (Mud Flat Rd/Owyhee Backcountry Scenic Byway). After sunrise I drove over to Little Jacks Creek Canyon. Here's the set...all C&C welcome:

1. First light provided very soft light on the rocks and the mountains.
813359633_LuQXz-L.jpg

2. I was scrambling around looking for something that would catch my eye and I liked how this archway was light only around the edges. The sliver of sky along the horizon was blown out but I've been able to recover it a little, but its not a major part of the pic so I wasn't that concerned.
814039722_p3MgY-L.jpg

3. Little Jacks Creek is a new Wilderness Area. Its the deepest canyon in the Owyhees (~1350') but this section I was hiking in was only about 150' deep. I'm planning on going back soon and camping to get better light in and around the canyon. I used a 3 stop soft ND grad to compensate for the DR.
813360120_bCDFv-L.jpg

4. I was able to finally get down to the creek and found a great section of the canyon. Unfortunately the midday sun was starting to hit the walls making portions very very bright. I changed my composition to exclude the brightly lit parts.
813360686_8T9y7-L.jpg

5. Another shot of the canyon:
814039865_Ad9Kn-L.jpg

Comments