A Wave Through Light

gbtmcdgbtmcd Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited March 21, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi,
This is my first post here on DG... This was an experiment I tried when I saw the spray rising up through the light of the setting sun last summer. This is full frame at 16mm less a degree or two of levelling with a D2x. I also managed to stay dry... C&C welcome.
Thanks
Blair
Attachment not found.

My Smugmug Site

My Workshops Site

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    I like the dynamic nature of the scene. The colors and lighting are good.

The sky appears to be blown out in the upper left. If you shot in RAW, maybe make a local adjustment in this area or play with the recovery slider.

The waves have great detail but they are a little too bright. Again, if you are shooting in RAW, maybe burn in those areas to bring out some more details. Or possibly apply separate exposure gradients, one to the top and one to the bottom, to bring out details and add some more depth to the picture.

Welcome to DGrin!!
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    hi and welcome to dgrin! thumb.gif

Nice balance in the explosion in terms of shutter speed! agree with the previous poster about the sky.

Looking forward to more! :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • gbtmcdgbtmcd Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Re-edit
    Thank-you for your advice and comments. I tried to fix the sky but ended up cropping it instead (I still have lots to learn about editing). I concentrated more on the wave in the foreground also from the crop the subtle action in the background is just a little more present. I'm not sure if this is an improvement, but I think so.
    Thanks again
    Blair

815496066_U6Cmb-L.jpg
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    hi gbtmcd!

Think the crop version 'works' better, there is more tension thumb.gif

I see you've boosted the contrast as well. Looks good but be adviced, some Dgrin'ers think contrast is a cure for all :nah
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com