Options

woman

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited March 28, 2010 in Go Figure
Hello all,
Not sure if this belongs here--but I don't think it belongs in the other forums either. Nikolai, please move it if you feel it needs to go.

My first post here--C&C welcome.

814750460_KHTAJ-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2010
    Hello all,
    Not sure if this belongs here--but I don't think it belongs in the other forums either. Nikolai, please move it if you feel it needs to go.

My first post here--C&C welcome.
    Liz,
    welcome to GF! clap.gif
    it's definitely a figures studies, so it does belong here!
    (besides, I'm not a mod and couldn't move it even if I wanted to:-)
    Interesting image! thumb.gif
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Liz,
    welcome to GF! clap.gif
    it's definitely a figures studies, so it does belong here!
    (besides, I'm not a mod and couldn't move it even if I wanted to:-)
    Interesting image! thumb.gif
    Nikolai

Thanks Nikolai,
    Remember when I first started you had an exercise for Technique called "newspaper textures" and I asked you if we needed a real newspaper?rolleyes1.gif

Just trying something a little different for me.

Thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    First - I don't do figures so I feel really unqualifed to say anything, but that's never stopped me before :D

IMNSHO ... this started out as a really good study. I like the pose, the skin texture, the necklace (if we could see more of it). But, then it was taken too far:
    • Textures - they are the new selective coloriztion, often applied but seldom adding to the story being told. I think this image is an example of such.
    • Exposure - where does the model's left shoulder end and the background begin? A lot of the texture of her skin is, likewise, blown.
    The result, for me, is "Where should I focus my attention? What's the story being told here?"
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2010
    HI Scott,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I shot this in very high contrast mode--this explains the blowouts--remind me not to use high contrast when I start shooting budouir style shots. I've had a couple of people ask me about them and obviously I need the practice first.

ouch--textures the new selective coloring rolleyes1.gif . I get what you are saying though.

Here are two more shots--the first is the same shot processed a little different and cropped so the top of the necklace doesn't show.

The other is high contrast as well, but shows a little more detail on the shoulder. Truth be told I was going for the shoulder and the hollow of the neck, but blowing out the shoulder in the first shot defeated the purpose.

reworked
    815822990_e9pLc-XL-1.jpg

815822962_As2BS-XL.jpg

When/if I do another shoot, I will keep your advice in mind.

Thanks for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    I like the first image posted the best...definitely something different and unique. I also agree it doesn't stand alone and tell a story, but I'm ok with that. It almost reminds me of an image that would be used as a background in a magazine advertisement...the product would stand out with that in the background.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    The B&W - this one I really like! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif Love the texture/grain of the shot. The shadows and highlights are to die for.

Just one of little thing - the pendant is not straight.

I'm on the fence about the hair on her neck and the bra strap (but I think I might keep it in the shot, I think it add more than distracts).

I think I might crop her mouth out of the shot.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    The B&W - this one I really like! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif Love the texture/grain of the shot. The shadows and highlights are to die for.

I'm on the fence about the hair on her neck and the bra strap (but I think I might keep it in the shot, I think it add more than distracts).

Hi Scott,
    funny that the one that you like is pretty much SOOC:) I shot it in high contrast b&w while in the camera.

I tried to play with the cropping and the shot looks funny with the mouth completely cropped out--the neck looks like a funny looking stump, so while I wish I had gotten more of the mouth, cropping it out doesn't work.

Thanks for coming back to this and commenting. I really appreciate it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    gecko0 wrote:
    I like the first image posted the best...definitely something different and unique. I also agree it doesn't stand alone and tell a story, but I'm ok with that. It almost reminds me of an image that would be used as a background in a magazine advertisement...the product would stand out with that in the background.

Hi gecko0

I tend to go overboard with my PP work--the equivalent of a lead foot.
    I'm glad it worked for you, though I know it's not for everyone.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I really like the tx you did with the first one! First thing I thought of was, She was up against a Shower door. Photos treated like this work, and your reasoning behind the tx makes sense. But further, the treatment took a randomly avg/poor shot and turned it into something.
    And for me, something emotional....not easy to pull off!

I've toyed with textures some lately too, both foreground and background. They were in use at the early stages of photographys infancy, so they are not something new! ..I think they still have a place.

So, great job!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    lizzard; I gotta go w/ scott, on this
    > That B&W is too DIE FOR! deal.gif

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    I really like the tx you did with the first one! First thing I thought of was, She was up against a Shower door. Photos treated like this work, and your reasoning behind the tx makes sense. But further, the treatment took a randomly avg/poor shot and turned it into something.
    And for me, something emotional....not easy to pull off!

I've toyed with textures some lately too, both foreground and background. They were in use at the early stages of photographys infancy, so they are not something new! ..I think they still have a place.

So, great job!thumb.gif

THank you Tom!
    So the first shot you like--although the shot itself leaves something to be desired--but it works with the treatment right? works for me :D .

I'm glad you liked it--
    btw taken infront of the bedroom window--it gets lots of light and I wanted to play with the high contrast.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    lizzard; I gotta go w/ scott, on this
    > That B&W is too DIE FOR! deal.gif

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you D'Buggs!
    I really love how the shape and the hollows on the clavicle and the neck stand out--It's a sort of body scape of the neck area I guess.
    I'll be sure to pay attention to such details in the future.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010

Another vote for the b/w.

Also, I would keep the strap thumb.gif

As far as I am concerned, this would have been fine in People too, btw.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    Another vote for the b/w.

Also, I would keep the strap thumb.gif

As far as I am concerned, this would have been fine in People too, btw.
    That's good to know Ivar...but then it seems like it would add to the clean up proposal you (et otre) are working on. It would be hard for me to place something like this offering there...it would 'feel' out of place.
    tom wise