Family

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited March 24, 2010 in Street and Documentary
804095906_ViTgq-L.jpg

Repost of a shot that I entered in the "Together/Apart" Challenge that received minimal comments. Wanted to share it here.

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    It's an interesting shot. I have the feeling that this was just after an unpleasant moment. I can imagine the mother doesn't have a happy look on her face either.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    No Ice Cream for that little lady :cry
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    It's an interesting shot. I have the feeling that this was just after an unpleasant moment. I can imagine the mother doesn't have a happy look on her face either.

I think you have the perfect reading of the shot. You can imagine this angry or frustrated look on the mother. Something happened on what was a good outing (or they don't stop for ice cream) and then the girl got yelled at. And the boy knew to keep quiet and not anger her further...

BTW, I sensed more than saw the shot. As I rounded the corner, something prompted me to take the lens cap off and immediately snap the shot from my chest without raising the camera... Thus the headless mother, which I think likely works better than with her in the shot.
    edited March 22, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    No Ice Cream for that little lady :cry

And the intrigue is "Why not?". Did she blow it at the ice cream shop or drop hers on the sidewalk?
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Man am I familiar with this scenario!
    I could easily be the headless mother:)

Great capture, though I can see why it didnt' really work with together/apart--but it definately tells a story of the unpleasant everyday. I think the chopped head works--everyone probably has their own version in mind of the momentarily defeated mother.

Now you know my PP work gets trashed a bit--and for good reason--so take this with a grain of salt, but I think there is too much grey. The contrast needs to be kicked up (says the High contrast addict).
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 24, 2010
    Man am I familiar with this scenario!
    I could easily be the headless mother:)

Great capture, though I can see why it didnt' really work with together/apart--but it definately tells a story of the unpleasant everyday. I think the chopped head works--everyone probably has their own version in mind of the momentarily defeated mother.

Now you know my PP work gets trashed a bit--and for good reason--so take this with a grain of salt, but I think there is too much grey. The contrast needs to be kicked up (says the High contrast addict).

Thanks for relating to and appreciating the photo.

Regarding the PP, we are likely on opposite ends of the spectrum. I remember decades ago spending time in the darkroom trying for rich shades of gray and avoiding any blown highlights. This has resisted quick change even as I view many high contrast shots in this forum. And I have a really difficult time in the "People" forum as blown highlights for skin tones (even to the tune of almost losing their noses) seems to be valued by many experienced posters there.