• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    the guy in the back singing ne_nau.gif:D

Well, gal, anyway...
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Hi Rainbow--
    This shot is not working so much for me ne_nau.gif .
    I don't know why exactly.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 22, 2010
    Hi Rainbow--

Thanks for the comment. I have puzzled over this one... It seems to have all the elements I tried to capture BUT... I cannot even figure out a better angle to have shot this.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Hi Rainbow--

I think it might work better with more of the context in the shot. It seems like a crop out of a larger photo to me. headscratch.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 22, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Thanks for the comment. I have puzzled over this one... It seems to have all the elements I tried to capture BUT... I cannot even figure out a better angle to have shot this.

I don't think there are any important technical problems. Instead, I think it might be a conceptual one. The juxtaposition of traditional costumes with modern technology is just all too familiar. There are also clues in the background that we are looking at scene shot in the industrialized world, not in provincial China. But here's the kicker: even if it had been shot in provincial China, modern cell-phone technology would not have been entirely out of place. The world is changing rapidly, so what may have worked a few years ago no longer has the same impact.
    edited March 24, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I don't think there are any important technical problems. Instead, I think it might be a conceptual one. The juxtaposition of traditional costumes with modern technology is just all too familiar. There are also clues in the background that we are looking at scene shot in the industrialized world, not in provincial China. But here's the kicker: even if it had been shot in provincial China, modern cell-phone technology would not have been entirely out of place. The world is changing rapidly, so what may have worked a few years ago no longer has the same impact.

I think maybe you assessed this perfectly. I had more of a logical reaction to the juxtaposition versus any emotional reaction, thinking that it should have an impact even though it did not really have that impact for me in person.

Thanks for the insight.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    I think maybe you assessed this perfectly. I had more of a logical reaction to the juxtaposition versus any emotional reaction, thinking that it should have an impact even though it did not really have that impact for me in person.

Thanks for the insight.

And here I was thinking it was about the cymbals. mwink.gif
    edited March 24, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    And here I was thinking it was about the cymbals. mwink.gif

You are also correct! I thought about "Clash of the Symbols" as a title...
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    In my opinion, it is too crowded.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Richard wrote:

Bingo!! clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed