Colour or B&W - opinions please...

topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Hi everyone,

Colour or B&W - what do you think please? If it makes any difference, I'm currently trying to focus on architecture as a theme so do either of these highlight the design of the structure more than the other?:scratch

Thanks in advance.
Craig

4452456092_65484c0411_b.jpg

4451679757_86b1576627_b.jpg
More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    I think you pretty much have to go with color on this because the lighting makes it look unnatural in black and white. The sun just doesn't light buildings up like that.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Color for sure.......I am with Tony, the lighting doesn't work well in B/W...azzaro
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    This image needs color to look real.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 22, 2010
    topcat374 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Colour or B&W - what do you think please? If it makes any difference, I'm currently trying to focus on architecture as a theme so do either of these highlight the design of the structure more than the other?

IMO, it does make a difference. While I agree that the color pic is more appealing, I think architecture usually comes through better in B&W, which makes lines, forms and textures stand out more. One exception could be when the exterior is made of something with a strong color, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. I would also suggest shooting architecture during the day rather than at night. More light means better detail and more options for aperture, ISO and shutter speed.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    The mono image ruins the sky, making it look like a dreary, overcast, rainy day shot rather than a beautiful dusk shot.

The mono image also loses the richness and warmth of the golden light.

Go with color.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Thanks for the comments everyone - they're very much appreciated. :D

To be honest, I'd read somewhere about light and shadow being architecture's 'friend' so didn't expect B&W to work at all. Then when I converted it I was surprised by the result and couldn't decide if it emphasised the shadows or not. It would appear not!! My bugbear with the colour version is the signage on the shops in the background. Whilst this gives the clock tower context (as it's at the coast) I feel as though it detracts from the focal point. Perhaps I should just try to darken or add a gaussian blur??

Richard - I'd also read that shooting architecture was one of the few themes(?) that would benefit from shooting in bright sunlight in order to bring the shadows and lines out. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this (and those of anyone else who would care to comment!). headscratch.gif

Thanks again.
    Craig
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!