Kallie - Senior '10

du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in People
Last October, Kallie contacted me and said that she would be visiting family in March (she lives about 1,900 miles away) and wanted me to shoot her senior pics while she was in town.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has. I want to learn as much as I can.

1)
816042988_JjP36-L.jpg

2)
816043088_RR2b7-L.jpg

3)
816043270_3WAPc-L.jpg

4)
816042830_wtJVh-L.jpg

5)
816043408_bLkWu-L.jpg

6)
816043809_ZiHMV-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
d8
H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff

Comments

• aggiesaggies Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    how did u make picture #1 so soft? I love it!
    Gig 'Em!
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    aggies wrote:
    how did u make picture #1 so soft? I love it!

Here's a great tutorial that I used for these shots... I've created an action for it the smart layers - so it's very easy!

http://www.layersmagazine.com/beauty-retouching-with-smart-filters-in-photoshop.html

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    1. iloveyou.gif Love this one - very, very pretty and the PP is WOWthumb.gif. I think I would clone out the loop hair near the right edge of the frame. Do you have enough data in the image to darken the very white part of the background?
    2. :cry Not in love wiht this one. Looks under-exposed, horizon through her head is a distractor for me. Hair in her eye.
    3. thumb.gif This one rocks. Nice light, good shadows. Her top looks a bit plugged, but we can forgive that. The perspective is very flattering.
    4. eek7.gif - The blown image does nothing for me.
    5. thumb.gif - very nice. She's going to love this one!
    6. This one is a mixed bag for me. Love her pose and expression. Not so in love with the background and the way you used it. She's too close to it and it's much to busy and bright - competes for viewer attention. I also think you, maybe, have a CWB issue with this one - a bit cool to my eyes.
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Nice...
    #1, by far my fave....great work there and love the treatment!

#2 seems a bit dark to me....skin/background could come up a hair to match #3/#5 (similar lighting/background on those).

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
    edited March 22, 2010
    1. iloveyou.gif Love this one - very, very pretty and the PP is WOWthumb.gif. I think I would clone out the loop hair near the right edge of the frame. Do you have enough data in the image to darken the very white part of the background?
    2. :cry Not in love wiht this one. Looks under-exposed, horizon through her head is a distractor for me. Hair in her eye.
    3. thumb.gif This one rocks. Nice light, good shadows. Her top looks a bit plugged, but we can forgive that. The perspective is very flattering.
    4. eek7.gif - The blown image does nothing for me.
    5. thumb.gif - very nice. She's going to love this one!
    6. This one is a mixed bag for me. Love her pose and expression. Not so in love with the background and the way you used it. She's too close to it and it's much to busy and bright - competes for viewer attention. I also think you, maybe, have a CWB issue with this one - a bit cool to my eyes.

Scott,

Thanks for your detailed comments. I always learn a lot from you!

It's funny - #5 is my favorite of the set - but the c&c I've gotten says #1 is the best. I really like it - but I think I don't particularly like the blown sky. It's RAW - so I'll see what I can pull out of it. It might also be a tad dark.

#4 - I think I was trying to save a bad shot with PP. :)

#6 - I really wish I would have used this wall differently. Love the wall - but yeah - I can completely see how its distracting. I think you're right about the CWB on this one too. It is a bit cool. I'll touch that up.

Thanks again!
    d8

edited March 22, 2010
    CTUphoto wrote:
    #1, by far my fave....great work there and love the treatment!

#2 seems a bit dark to me....skin/background could come up a hair to match #3/#5 (similar lighting/background on those).

~jb

JB,

Thanks for the feedback. At first glance, I thought #2 was too bright, and you were off your rocker :) - but then I actually compared the two side by side and see exactly what you mean. "Proper" exposure is something that I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is...

Thanks!
    d8

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Watch the left tilts, maybe you did it on purpose?
    Very pretty girl.
    For me the softening gets to be to much shot after shot.
    On 1 it looks good.
    5 is head and shoulders above the others, I love the look she has in that one.
    Maybe change 4 to a black and white....just looks blown as is.
    Nice series overall.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    1 and 5 FTW!!

Her expression in 5 is fantastic. A little tighter on the crop on the left side and that shot is just about perfect.