Live Oak in Bluebonnet Field

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited March 27, 2010 in Landscapes
I saw this tree and loved it! I plan to go back and shoot it again, as there are more bluebonnets out just since Friday. Is there anything I could/should do to improve this shot? I'm thinking it might be a wall-hanger. :D

Lauren

816321789_4JYS7-XL.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    morning and sunset shots would look amazing on this!
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    agree, that would be killer with the blues of the flowers! eek7.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Sunrise, sunset, shooting 90° from the sun with a CP mounted. Oh, and if you can order up just a few less clouds (or a bunch of really dramatic ones) - that wouldn't hurt either.

No matter how you cut it, shooting at a time other than between 10:00A and 2:00PM can only help the shot in that it will add a lot of depth. And do use a CP - that will help with the saturation and seperation.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Lay down on the ground and take it so those brown spots are not showing.
    Then you will have a carpet of blue leading up to the tree.
    Take it very early or very late in the day, this looks like high noon light.

Get closer and put the tree in the bottom/middle of the frame not the top, with the bottom of the frame being the carpet of flowers, then just a little sky above and in some space to the right of the tree hopefully with some nice white clouds.

Lots of potential with this one.
    edited March 22, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Lay down on the ground and take it so those brown spots are not showing.
    Then you will have a carpet of blue leading up to the tree.
    Take it very early or very late in the day, this looks like high noon light.

Get closer and put the tree in the bottom/middle of the frame not the top, with the bottom of the frame being the carpet of flowers, then just a little sky above and in some space to the right of the tree hopefully with some nice white clouds.

Lots of potential with this one.
    I like the idea of getting on the ground! I saw the brown patches and just couldn't think of a way to eliminate them - I'm going to have to remember that!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Thanks, everyone--great suggestions all! I'm planning a late afternoon/sunset shoot today and will go back to this tree. I'll take a blanket so I can get low (loads of burrs in these fields). This is a fenced field so I am limited in my access, but I will take a variety of lenses.

Watch for more shots tomorrow!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Nice scene...it does have lots of potential if shot in the ways already suggested. Nice find!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Yep- a sunrise or sunset shot (or twilight) would be awesome. But it's such a good shot nonetheless. Excellent... clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
    edited March 24, 2010
    I went back out yesterday but I was too early (5pm) for sunset or dusk light. I also discovered most of the roads and fields run east-west, so it will take some more exploring to find a good angle for sunset.

I had a tough time getting much lower in the shot because of the fence and berm. I did manage to get a little more blue and less dirt, and fewer clouds. Didn't notice the foreground branch until I saw it on the screen. When I go back I will look more carefully.

818798356_RvWAv-L.jpg

Here is another shot from yesterday, sort of in between the original and the lower angle shot.

818799891_JeZCy-L.jpg

Any thoughts on these versions?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 25, 2010
    I'm really liking the first of the second set. That's well done. The lighter clouds make a very nice background for that beautiful tree.

Since you are planning on going back.... do you have a circular polarizer filter (a CP)? If you are shooting to either your left or your right (i.e., you are shooting approx 90° from the sun) a CP can really help out the clouds. It can also add a bit of richness to the colors of the flowers and foliage.
    edited March 25, 2010
    Scott - Not sure why it doesn't show but I did use a CP that day. I use one regularly for my landscapes. It is possible I didn't put it back on for this shot, because I was switching lenses fairly often. I will double check when I go back, hopefully in a couple of days.

On the subject of filters, is this the type of shot and time of day you would use a grad ND? I'm planning to buy one but am just wondering if it would be useful in this type of situation.

Thanks for your comments and help. More to come from this tree . . . . :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 25, 2010
    A GND is most useful when the dynamic range of the shot exceeds the capabilities of the camera. For example, if you are making an image where the foreground is a bit dark and the sky above is quite light - that's a time for a GND. Or if the sky is over-cast.

But, they are usually only useful when the division between the bright and dark areas are something of a straight line and there is nothing from one region intruding into the other. For example, if you have power poles (or trees) that start in the foreground and rise up into the sky - not going to work so well as the GND will darken the tree too much and it will look a bit strange.
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    I, too, really like the first one of the second set. Nicely done...thumb.gif
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    acowan wrote:
    I, too, really like the first one of the second set. Nicely done...thumb.gif

2nd'ed. mwink.gif
    edited March 26, 2010
    Thanks, everyone! I'll have some more trees and bluebonnets to post this weekend.

Scott - Thanks for the GND info, it's helpful!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Wow, that first one, what an improvement.
    Take just a very small crop off the bottom.
    Very nice photo.clap.gif
  • Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Wow, shot #1 from the 2nd day is an altogether different photo from what you captured the 1st day. Transition from snapshot toward art. Great work given the 5pm sun.
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.
    edited March 27, 2010
    Thanks, Doug--one of the few times my work has been called "art" so that is very encouraging! :D

More to come soon--

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com