Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #47 (Beginning or Ending)

2»

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Question for Sean
    Hi,

At this late point in time I'd like to have a clarification of the meaning
    of the "beginning" or "ending", cause I'm confused...headscratch.gif

For ending, for example:

Basically I want to know if you mean a continuous action (like somebody is dying or about to die),
    or a one time occurrence = stopped action (like an already dead body)

Does my question make sense?

Thank you,
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    photo-bug wrote:
    cause I'm confused...headscratch.gif

1. You are trying too hard.
    2. The meaning is what it means to you.
    3. Post what you yourself are personally happy with.
    4. See number 1.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    1. You are trying too hard.
    2. The meaning is what it means to you.
    3. Post what you yourself are personally happy with.
    4. See number 1.

OK, .... rolleyes1.gif

Thank you thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    The real challenge is finding within yourself a vision that when viewed by others immediately screams out the theme without even having to read the title. Titles in my mind, should be used to enhance the artistic statement not explain it. If an image can not stand on it's own and say the theme without a title then it may still be a great photo, but what does it say to the viewer?

Maybe this is where people are having difficulty with the theme this time - there are maybe 2 of the current entries that immediately scream out the theme - TO ME (and no, mine isn't one of them. Mine, along with others, needs the title to explain how it fits the theme) - but not necessarily to others and not necessarily to the judges of this round.

So maybe a layered puzzle - how to make this particular theme immediately shout (puzzle 1) and how to make it shout to the judges (when everybody interprets images differently and particularly images for this theme perhaps).

However, i'm going with the rest of what you said - using it to learn, liking my image, and using it to ponder future images. Works for me! :D

Kara
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    It is all good!
    Difficult? Please be assured my plan is not to frustrate all of you beyond your ability to at least try. The act of trying to find or create an image is the whole point of participation. If after you have at least tried, you find the the image fits into the theme, that is just a bonus. I know from experience that themes like this round require something from within yourself to interpret them. They are some of the most challenging and rewarding rounds.

In future challenges I will be mixing things up and even asking for things that are much more specific instead of having such open "ended" assignments. Rest assured there will be something for everyone! :D
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Difficult?

I meant difficult in a good way! Perhaps challenging would have been a better word choice I should have used!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    photo-bug wrote:
    OK, .... rolleyes1.gif

I have decided to clarify what I mean by the statement "You are trying too hard". I love the fact that you are passionate about getting your entry just right and have observed your evolutionary stream of posts asking for feedback. When I say your trying too hard I do not mean that you should stop what you are doing, on the contrary keep doing it and do it even more. What I do mean is that you need to relax and not worry so much about what a theme means. Each of us as individuals has different experiences and visions that will speak the theme to you very strongly, that does not mean it is wrong. There is no wrong, just different levels of right.

Yes it is true that to win you need to speak your vision to two judges and convince them your vision fits. But I would hope that participation is an exercise in learning not just winning.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    I have decided to clarify what I mean by the statement "You are trying too hard". I love the fact that you are passionate about getting your entry just right and have observed your evolutionary stream of posts asking for feedback. When I say your trying too hard I do not mean that you should stop what you are doing, on the contrary keep doing it and do it even more. What I do mean is that you need to relax and not worry so much about what a theme means. Each of us as individuals has different experiences and visions that will speak the theme to you very strongly, that does not mean it is wrong. There is no wrong, just different levels of right.

Yes it is true that to win you need to speak your vision to two judges and convince them your vision fits. But I would hope that participation is an exercise in learning not just winning.

Don't worry, I understood what you meant about "trying too hard" :)

... and I also know that trying too hard, sometimes may stop you from being creative.

- My problem was to exactly understand the theme - for example, when I work for clients (graphic/web design),
    first I make sure I get very clearly what is the request (the theme) about, so I can focus my work on the right direction.

Winning means doing a good (best possible) job, that will be appreciated by the requester.
    In my opinion, if we don't work hard enough to have a winner job, there is no point participating...
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    photo-bug wrote:
    Winning means doing a good (best possible) job, that will be appreciated by the requester.
    In my opinion, if we don't work hard enough to have a winner job, there is no point participating...

I agree! Always doing your best work is a great philosophy. If you have done what you consider the best you can do and you are happy with your work, then you are a winner no matter what someone else's opinion is.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    I agree! Always doing your best work is a great philosophy. If you have done what you consider the best you can do and you are happy with your work, then you are a winner no matter what someone else's opinion is.

Good point of view :D
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    PS:

Just to eliminate any ambiguities, I actually meant thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2010
    It's all over!
    Thank you all for taking the time to enter this round.

The submissions are in and further entries will no longer be accepted.
    Judging will take place within the next 24 hours and results will be posted ASAP.

"The End"
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2010
    Round 47 DQ's
    This time around we have 5 disqualifications. :cry

JLFiely - Southern tip, Madagascar = Date taken not within challenge time frame.
    bgwhite - last trip to the outhouse = Dgrin user name does not exist.
    End of the World... or Inner Life Alive ! = Date taken not within challenge time frame and no user name given
    The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan = No Dgrin user name given
    orafik - Earthquake Aftermath, Haiti = Date taken not within challenge time frame.

Always refer to the rules found here, before entering.

Thanks