http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    With the tat there, I'd say color!

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Tony, I like the B&W chiefly because the colour of that tat and dress (which clash) draws my eye away from the woman's face sitting opposite. For me that is a case where the photo becomes about the colour instead of the story.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Tony, I like the B&W chiefly because the colour of that tat and dress (which clash) draws my eye away from the woman's face sitting opposite. For me that is a case where the photo becomes about the colour instead of the story.

I was thinking about that. Not from a photographic standpoint, but from a a fashion standpoint. Not that I'm a fashionista, but I was thinking she should pick her wardrobe to match her tats.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I was thinking about that. Not from a photographic standpoint, but from a a fashion standpoint. Not that I'm a fashionista, but I was thinking she should pick her wardrobe to match her tats.

Yupper. If you're going to have such a visible tat, you ought to pick your wardrobe to compliment it. It begs the question, what was she thinking?! rolleyes1.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I go with the color, because without it, there is less of interest. BTW, I would prefer your posting the second shot in the thread rather than the link.

And I suspect that the tat and clothes match does not happen because it is on her back and doesn't occur to her to choose accordingly.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    I go with the color, because without it, there is less of interest. BTW, I would prefer your posting the second shot in the thread rather than the link.

Interesting comment about posting the second shot in the thread. I don't personally like to see more than one photo in a post.
    In fact, I have some photos I'm processing where I will link to a temporary SmugMug gallery with the related photos in the series,
    but only post one image here. I'm taking the cue from Michswiss's suggestion.

I'd like to see other opinions on this. I know that no one way is going to please all, but - hell - I'll pander to the majority.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Interesting comment about posting the second shot in the thread. I don't personally like to see more than one photo in a post.
    In fact, I have some photos I'm processing where I will link to a temporary SmugMug gallery with the related photos in the series,
    I'd like to see other opinions on this. I know that no one way is going to please all, but - hell - I'll pander to the majority.

My vote is for no links--but maybe a max of 5 to 6 per post.
    But that's because I like to post a series now and then and I know that many people won't/don't click on links.

BTW--I think this shot is good in color--but honestly I think it's because there is not that much interesting about the scenario other than her tattoo with the ugly dress. The other lady is ok, but not so interesting to me.

michswiss has a valid point though with the people who have slow bandwidths.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

Hey there, don't take me so literally! I was thinking of the 20 image threads, or even my own 10 images in Singapore (although I did call it out in the thread title.) I don't have any issue with a few (being more than a couple, but less than a lot of) images in a thread to bring the idea or request across.

To your doubts about B&W v Colour. I'd suggest not sweating it too much. Do both as best you can and then try to decide which conveys what you saw or want to say best.
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    What gets me is when someone says something like "here are a couple of mine and then posts way more within that post. It is a matter of not being up front about how many they really are presenting at once.

Hope the way I said the made sense to you.

Jane B.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 22, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

When it's a question of version A versus version B, I think they ought to be in a single post.
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Patti wrote:

+1:D (pleased to be able to return the favour btw, Tony!).

FWIW, I read this whole thread before visiting the B&W version because it was a link not embedded (without even realising that's what I was doing!) so I guess embedded would be better for me!
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I prefer no links unless a ton of images.

I would leave it color but crop much more vigorously to zoom in on tat / dress.