.......Say What?

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Smokey Yunick was an acknowledged, sometimes grudgingly, genius. Daytona Beach, FL was home to him and his business of innovative automotive design and mechanics. To call him quirky may be an understatement, but the guy flat knew his way around cars. I dealt with him once when he was " juicing around " with one of my engines. I never met a more colorful person. Some of his detractors said old Smokey didn't know what a rulebook was, but, if you wanted some serious power, you often found yourself beating on his door.

The car you see here is rolling evidence that Smokey often saw things in a different light. I have no idea how well this thing performed, but the theory behind it is as solid as a rock....considering that this car was designed to run only counter-clockwise, making only turns to the left.

811393710_yXc85-XL.jpg

811393906_gyuAQ-XL.jpg

811394087_MbBN2-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Very cool car! It almost looks like the built the car and realized they needed somewhere for the driver to sit and threw the pod on the side.

Kris
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I love those hands used as a front bumper!
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

That is really cool, I'd never heard of this either

Really great shots, and looks like it would have been

super fast on the track.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    This guy has a sense of humor, love the bumper. Nice shots Tom.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I' love to have those hands on the front of my jeep -- those are neat thumb.gif