Enlarging for print

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited March 22, 2010 in Technique
If I'm editing photos for large poster sized prints, do I need to do anything special? Or will a full frame image be large enough on its own?

I know about sizing down for the web, but I'm worried about printing for poster sized prints.
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 22, 2010
    RAW files from a 1DsMkII, at ISO 100, will easily sustain 20 in x 30 in prints, like those in my office.

How large are your posters wanted to be?

You can uprez your file in Adobe Camera Raw of course. If that is not sufficient, you can uprez in Photoshop, or use a plugin like Genuine Fractals, Blow Up, or several others.

The sensor of the 1DsMkII is 4992 x 3328 pixels in size. Figure 200 pixels per inch as safe resolution for a poster, and you get 25 inches on the long dimension. If you uprez to 10,000 pixels, your poster can be 50 inches tall. Do you want them larger than 4 feet tall? At 15,000 pixels your image can be 75 inches tall, or over 6 feet or larger than life size.

If you are having them printed by Smugmug, I wouldn't worry about uprezzing a sharp full frame file from a 1DsMkII. They will do it if necessary.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    They want a "standard" poster size :P

I'm guesstimating 20X30 just to be sure.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat