3 weeks, 1 keeper

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited March 24, 2010 in Landscapes
3 weeks in Turkey, and only one print worthy picture. Not really too much of an exaggeration.

The proportions here are are chosen to fit a nice frame I picked up at the thrift store. I may change the proportions slightly if I decide to add a mat.

Which do you prefer- the sky dominated image, or the rock dominated image? I'll be printing it out ~24 inches wide, and there is a lot of great texture in the rock.
(1)
IMG_2290a-sky-resized.jpg
(2)
IMG_2290a-land-resized.jpg

or maybe I should put the people on the far right side? a subtle difference
(3)
IMG_2290-land-resized-people.jpg

any other C&C? (and there is enough resolution to print it out large- you can even tell what lens the photographer is using)
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    My vote is for number 3, but you might want to nudge the people in just a bit, so that when you frame it they won't be too close to the edge. I think you moved your crop higher in 3, I think it should stay like 2, but put the people more like 3.

Nice picture by the way! Big panos are SUPER fun when printed large enough to make all those details sing out.
    Please Look At My Photography!
    http://www.AndyCalnan.com/
  • morgan20morgan20 Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    It's a nice scene but I can't find the focal point. is the message the people looking at the scene or the scene itself, and despite the profile I can't see in the distance so it could be anywhere.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    morgan20 wrote:
    It's a nice scene but I can't find the focal point. is the message the people looking at the scene or the scene itself, and despite the profile I can't see in the distance so it could be anywhere.
    Yeah, trying to force the photo to fit the frame maybe as effective as the tail wagging the dog.

The message of the original scene, why I took the photo- was here are two people looking out at this big expansive of the valley, but what I/the camera can see beneath their feet is just as interesting. These are actually the two framings I like the best- Although, if I'd had more time to frame my shot, I'd have moved about over the right get more of a shot up the valley, if I didn't lose the small arch under their feet in the process:

818222210_zBvxx-M.jpg

818222556_hAnXq-M.jpg

There is so much detail in the landscape, I think it really needs to be seen as close to full size as possible:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/818222210_zBvxx-X3.jpg

(whoops, forgot to straighten the horizon on these).

Maybe I'll find another picture for the frame I have, and bite the bullet and pay for a custom frame for this one.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.