Options

Historic car racing ..normal 56k warning in place

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited August 13, 2005 in Sports
Got a free ticket & an invite from a friend whom was racing to go out. No where near the 600+ HP of the other week.

Lots of old rich codgers (read: elderly wealthy gentlemen) In some beautiful machinery. An over abundance of light this time round.

I got there nice & early to get some morning sun.

Nearly all with the 135mm f/2...i rarely take it off the camera.

31575628-M.jpg

31578123-M.jpg

31578140-M.jpg

31578150-M.jpg

31578120-M.jpg

31578129-M.jpg

31578128-M.jpg

31575611-M.jpg

31578117-M.jpg

31578113-M.jpg

31575591-M.jpg

31575604-M.jpg

31578138-M.jpg

Gentlemen...start your engines !!

31578136-M.jpg

31578126-M.jpg

I started panning as low as 1/50...lost way to many shots. I lost enough at 1/125.

31572798-M.jpg

31572792-M.jpg

31572809-M.jpg

31578131-M.jpg

Plus heaps of old 0zzie & pommie cars getting around.

31572847-M.jpg

an old dodge

31637493-M.jpg

Ford GT (HO maybe) minus passenger !

31637492-M.jpg

No idea what this is ?

31578145-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Great pics Gus -

The cars are immaculate, the owners must spend a lot of time & money maintaining them. The one with the passenger door open is my favourite, a real racing moment.

Shay
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    Great pics Gus -

The cars are immaculate, the owners must spend a lot of time & money maintaining them. The one with the passenger door open is my favourite, a real racing moment.

Shay
    Tks seamus. There had been a dust up with photogs the day prior so i tried to keep a low profile...fairly easy to do with the black 135 ...however drop the 400 on & everyone stares at you.

Gus
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Alot of really cool shots there. Some great inventive angles too.

Humungus wrote:
    Got a free ticket & an invite from a friend whom was racing to go out. No where near the 600+ HP of the other week.

Lots of old rich codgers (read: elderly wealthy gentlemen) In some beautiful machinery. An over abundance of light this time round.

I got there nice & early to get some morning sun.

Nearly all with the 135mm f/2...i rarely take it off the camera.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    Thanks adrian...i tend to leave one lens on & start looking as to what it can see.

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    . There had been a dust up with photogs the day prior so i tried to keep a low profile...Gus
    What happened??

Shay.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 10, 2005
    Love, love, love this shot!!!

31572809-M.jpg

nod.gif

that little bit of flare at the base of the windshield is cool.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Love, love, love this shot!!!

nod.gif

that little bit of flare at the base of the windshield is cool.
    Thanks Doc..panning at 1/50...take 300 keep 5.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    What happened??

Shay.
    I dont know but i went to the control introduced myself & asked if i could get into the pits. Would have been less hassle if i had just pulled a gun on them. You would think i had asked for their 1st born. I think it was about photog's argueing over whom had what rights to be where etc.

Easy fixed...just put the 400 on & stand in the crowd.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I dont know but i went to the control introduced myself & asked if i could get into the pits. Would have been less hassle if i had just pulled a gun on them. You would think i had asked for their 1st born. I think it was about photog's argueing over whom had what rights to be where etc.

As you know I had the same problem this year at the superbike race. No press pass - no access. This was on the Friday practice. I can understand them being strict on race day but there were less than 100 spectators at the Friday practice.

I did what you did, shot from the other side of the fence... If this wasn't a pg site there are some great words to describe unnecessarily officious people.

shay.
  • Options
    dealdeal Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Great images Gus.

I'm still sorting through mine and processing them.
    Originally Posted by Seamus
    What happened??

Shay.

I've noticed lately that the tracks are cracking down on Photogs (Not so much the legit ones that have media access). I think alot of it started awhile back when the Drift days were on. The organisers of the Drift would let their friends out on the track to take photos with their 'point and shoot' digitals. Some of the places these people would stand would be 10 meters off the track on the exit of a corner with nothing but fresh air between them and the vehicle.

All it takes is for one of these guys to be hit on the track and the CAMS (Confederation of Aust Motor Sport), Police and the Government would come down on the venue and Motor Sport like a ton of bricks and hence would affect the livelyhood of all the Motor Sport Photographers Australia wide. Legallities Legallities Legallities.

I have Media Access to most of the Motor Sport events and Venues in my locallity and generally talk to the Marshals at each track and work in with them to were i can and can't go. Plus alot is common sense, and also have been a Marshal myself it helps.

I first met Gus at the Qld 300 and the first thing he asked me is where he can go, Photog wise.rolleyes1.gif A good idea for anyone new to the surroundings.thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    I really like all the detail shots. Nice eye. Not being into racing, the moving shots are all...eh... for me. But I love getting to see all the mechanics and paint and all up close. Very cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2005
    deal wrote:
    Great images Gus.

I'm still sorting through mine and processing them.
    G'day Deal ! About time you lobbed up ...looking fwd to some of your motorsport shots.

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I really like all the detail shots. Nice eye. Not being into racing, the moving shots are all...eh... for me. But I love getting to see all the mechanics and paint and all up close. Very cool.
    Tks david. I think its what i like shooting the most. People with real mood/pressure on their faces that ignor photographers is always a good place to be shooting.
  • Options
    dealdeal Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks david. I think its what i like shooting the most. People with real mood/pressure on their faces that ignor photographers is always a good place to be shooting.
    I agree. I like the un-possed shots too. I hate asking people to pose for photos. It's more real life that way.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 13, 2005
    Gus,

Nice series here. I'm doc as to 78 being my favorite with the carbs a
    close second.

Looks like ole' 155 got punched in the door frame.

Is a dust up something like someone getting their knickers in a twist over
    something?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Gus,

Nice series here. I'm doc as to 78 being my favorite with the carbs a
    close second.

Looks like ole' 155 got punched in the door frame.

Is a dust up something like someone getting their knickers in a twist over
    something?

Ian
    Tks ian...yeah i walked past that donk & saw the amount of light coming from under & i was sold.

Yep a dust up is a barney..argument...a blue... throw the claw in... chuck a wobbly...chuck a spaz....etc etc etc