TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited March 24, 2010 in Street and Documentary
816864474_DTsBN-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I really like the repetition of the tables/ketchup/stuff, but the vertical pole spoils it, and the folk in the b/g don't do anything at all for me; and she's smack in the middle of the frame…

Great idea, though!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 23, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I really like the repetition of the tables/ketchup/stuff, but the vertical pole spoils it, and the folk in the b/g don't do anything at all for me; and she's smack in the middle of the frame…

Great idea!

thumb.gif

- Wil

A square crop would fix that nicely.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:

Great idea, though!

thumb.gif

- Wil

The original wider view was to emphasize that she was all alone except for whoever
    she was in contact with on the text device. Here's a tighter crop that addresses your
    comments, but I wonder if this loses the "all alone" concept.

817517457_ZbCnh-XL.jpg
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    The original wider view was to emphasize that she was all alone except for whoever
    she was in contact with on the text device. Here's a tighter crop that addresses your
    comments, but I wonder if this loses the "all alone" concept.

It definitely doesn't lose it. It's a much better crop and the all alone story is even stronger in my opinion. The lines are better and there are fewer unnecessary distractions.

Did I mention that I think this is much better? :Dthumb.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I like the original better :hide for telling a story.
    There are people around but she's all alone, with the exception of whoever she's texting.

While visually I think the crop looks better, for "alone" I like the first more--make sense?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    I like the original better :hide for telling a story.
    There are people around but she's all alone, with the exception of whoever she's texting.

While visually I think the crop looks better, for "alone" I like the first more--make sense?

I liked the original crop from the story-telling angle, but the new crop presents the woman better.

I wasn't worried about the "too centered" comment because in this type of photography you can't
    always set the scene the way you'd like. The shot is often grab-and-go and there are sometimes things
    going on around the subject that we don't want in the frame.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    …but I wonder if this loses the "all alone" concept.

Nice job!

I think she's so engrossed in what she's doing, that it really doesn't matter who or how many or how few or exactly what is around her! I think the tighter the crop, the more the viewer is involved with her!

I wish… etc etc…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I liked the original crop from the story-telling angle, but the new crop presents the woman better.

I like the original with the story. Second presents the woman better, but she is of less interest without the story. BG adds, not detracts from the shot for me (that is what shallow DOF is for...). Condiments add greatly to the shot.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

817517457_ZbCnh-S.jpg

Nice!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts