My First Portrait Shoot - Looking for feedback

rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited March 24, 2010 in People
Hey Guys. Last week, I did my first portrait shoot, and would love some feedback. Things I did right, things that need work, that kind of thing. Thanks in advance!

Here's a few of my favorites:

Mary-LizMurray017.jpg

Mary-LizMurray022.jpg

Mary-LizMurray056.jpg

Mary-LizMurray065.jpg

Mary-LizMurray085.jpg

Mary-LizMurray104.jpg
11561958_dYdK5#814380143_nMXz5
website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    #5 is my favorite (nice comp, bokeh, colors) , but they all seem a little soft around the face/eyes. What autofocus settings are you using if you don't mind? (If you're autofocusing)

Also, it would be great if there were a couple with a "true" smile. It kind of looks like she's straining to squeeze out a smile or kind of smirking in all of them.

FWIW, it looks like you had some really bright, tough light to work with also.
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    #5 is my favorite (nice comp, bokeh, colors) , but they all seem a little soft around the face/eyes. What autofocus settings are you using if you don't mind? (If you're autofocusing)

Also, it would be great if there were a couple with a "true" smile. It kind of looks like she's straining to squeeze out a smile or kind of smirking in all of them.

FWIW, it looks like you had some really bright, tough light to work with also.

I was using a dynamic area AF. I tried to keep the focus set on her eyes, but I agree that they seem a little soft. The lighting was tough, but I'd pick shooting outdoors with natural light any day over a studio.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    pretty girl! overall not bad.clap.gif

I think the focus is a bit soft. Also the pose in 3,4 is making her chin/jawline look funny. Plus all of them could use some contrast, a deeper black point, sharpening, and some punched up color.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 23, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    pretty girl! overall not bad.clap.gif

I think the focus is a bit soft. Also the pose in 3,4 is making her chin/jawline look funny. Plus all of them could use some contrast, a deeper black point, sharpening, and some punched up color.

Thanks! I think the chin/jawline issue was mostly my fault, not focus. I think I had her turn her head a little more than she should have been, which scrunched up her cheek/chin.

I was afraid to do too much serious editing because I didn't want to mess with the skin tone.

• kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    I like the dreamy quality of the first one, and to me, she seems the most natural and at ease in that photo. #6 works for me, too. Nice job! I agree with Qarik and Nikonic1, too, about the post-processing, sharpness in the eyes, and really trying to get a natural smile. The light is a bit harsh #5 for me. I like the idea, however I would try that again on a slightly overcast day and play around with the dof and/or composition, maybe. Just for fun and practice!
    Kristen
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    You might try a single point focus, locking focus on your subject, then composing as you'd like. It will ensure you camera isn't tracking focus to other object or even her features as she moves a bit or you recompose your shot giving you tack sharpness right where you desire it.
    edited March 24, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I've got another shoot lined up for tomorrow. I'll be sure to post photos afterwards.