The Amazing S90 (photo thread)

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited June 4, 2010 in Cameras
Thought it would be cool to start a thread with only S90 pictures. I have seen some awesome s90 photos on DGrin. And that is one of the main reasons I got one of these little pocket rockets. It is still a P&S, but...... I am amazed at the quality of pictures it produces. The colors, the details, and those star bursts. You gotta love it.

Let the posting begin.
817500010_54rLL-L.jpg

817500421_EBBfL-L.jpg

817499116_9kLKr-L.jpg

Comments

• flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    S90 in Switzerland
    817025468_dw6bn-M-1.jpg

817025831_UJXSK-M-1.jpg

817035606_Ad5Fb-M-1.jpg
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    The S90 kills me. No HD video = dealbreaker. I have kids.

Hey flyingpoint - hi neighbor!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    This thread floated away so I thought I might revive it again after a weekend of using the S90 as my main camera and leaving the 300s behind at camp.
    Here are a few from an evening walk in the desert last weekend. The macro works quite nicely. Canon seems to have macro on their P&S nailed.

These are all straight out of the camera shot in JPG set to vivid. I used aperture priority and the macro focus function.

888464269_3GqK3-L.jpg

888463955_qxNh7-L.jpg

888468303_85aur-L.jpg

I cheated a little on this one and cranked the saturation a bit.
    888465887_T8DLH-L.jpg
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Pretty. Did you use any exposure compensation on the first one? It's pretty badly overexposed. The clouds are blown out in the last one, too, but in that case I can understand it because the camera obviously exposed for the red plant in the foreground.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
    edited June 3, 2010
    1) I agree, overexposed, but kind of cool anyway. Although my eye is instantly drawn to the tallest flower, but it is OOF.

2) great shot

3) nice shot, but I'd rather have both flowers in focus

4) what is with that crazy halo?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    I covet this pns - have done since it was first released. Sadly, however... I've spent all the money currently in the camera fund on dslr gear, so it's going to have to wait! Great shots - just confirms to me that this is the kind of pns I want so that I can not only always have a small camera with me, but can have a small camera with some manual control and great optics (my current pns falls short on those last two points, sadly)
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    1) I agree, overexposed, but kind of cool anyway. Although my eye is instantly drawn to the tallest flower, but it is OOF.

2) great shot

3) nice shot, but I'd rather have both flowers in focus

4) what is with that crazy halo?

Thanks for the comments. These shots are one of the reasons I really like this thing. I wasn't even looking at the screen while shooting and had a cocktail in the other hand. Try that with a DSLR! The cool thing is the randomness of it. And your expectations are a bit lower for it too. I love the wild colors it finds and the weird light halos and star bursts. It also does have some DOF control. Something that I have never had with any other P&S. I find with the SLR I am constantly controlling the situation to get what I want. With this thing you have an idea of what you want and just go with it and see what you get.

#1 I just like the weird colors and the over exposure is what makes it interesting to me. I could have bumped the exp comp. Not sure.

#3 I agree it would be cool for both flowers to be in focus, but I can't complain too much. Should have set it to f8 and bumped the ISO a bit. But I am still learning this thing does. And what I can expect out of that lens on different settings.

#4 Not sure what the halo thing is. I think it is some over exposure on the blades of grass and the fact that I cranked the saturation a bit much. Again I think it isn't really bad in this either. Just some of that randomness I am talking about.
    edited June 4, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments. These shots are one of the reasons I really like this thing. I wasn't even looking at the screen while shooting and had a cocktail in the other hand. Try that with a DSLR!

Haha, that's a win!
    #1 I just like the weird colors and the over exposure is what makes it interesting to me. I could have bumped the exp comp. Not sure.
    I like it as is, I just wish the top flower was in focus, but it's very cool for a one-handed no-look shot!
    #4 Not sure what the halo thing is. I think it is some over exposure on the blades of grass and the fact that I cranked the saturation a bit much. Again I think it isn't really bad in this either. Just some of that randomness I am talking about.

I was referring to the halo around the red plant against the blue sky. That ruins the shot for me.

I also covet the S90, I just wish it had HD video. That's a dealbreaker for me with kids.

Hey, check out my new "p&s", just arrived from ebay today...

34ywi9c.jpg
    -Jack