Not quite a family photographer

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited March 25, 2010 in People
I've never thought of myself much of a family photographer, but last week I did a shoot for a family. It was a totally different dynamic than my typical weddings, but tons of fun. I realized how different it is to work with three or four people instead of just one or two.

mcwatt-5.jpg

mcwatt-1.jpg

mcwatt-7.jpg

mcwatt-3.jpg

More on my blog

Comments

• MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    The are all fantastic. I love the family pose they look so happy. #1 is my hands down favorite, the kids looks like a nut and it looks like he is jumping off a mountain and his tie is hilarious. Great capture!!!
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Refreshingly different! Just plain fantastic. clap.gif

So much energy in #1 - (I'm saving this idea for my 4 year old). #3 is so sweet.

Not the biggest fan though of #4. I keep wishing for a tighter crop, that the mom's face was better lit, and that the youngest was looking toward the camera.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Really nice work. Not your typical poses or backgrounds.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Wellllllll, you know already that I love your style, but man ... those are outstanding!! clap.gif
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!! These are beyond outstanding! Any insight into your pp? These photos just jump off the screen..your composition is brilliant, you have captured so much emotion and energy. This is what photography is all about! clap.gif I shoot natural light..just wondering if these were natural or strobist? Thanks!
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Fantastic series. I think they prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you ARE a family photographer; difficult or not, you worked with the group and produced a series of photos good enough to win awards.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Wow!
    #1bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Wish I could follow you around for a day to see you interact with the family--your shots are so different (from lurking in weddings)--makes me wonder how you get people so comfortable and able to follow through with your vision for the shot--how the heck do you even come up with your stuff!
    clap.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Wow! #1bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Wish I could follow you around for a day to see you interact with the family--your shots are so different (from lurking in weddings)--makes me wonder how you get people so comfortable and able to follow through with your vision for the shot--how the heck do you even come up with your stuff!
    clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

The lighting on #2 and #4 seem a little bit warm to me and maybe a little flat? As a whole a lovely group of images :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    # 4 wowowow very very nice job on all!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Thanks evereyone! I think my biggest challenge of the day was figuring out how to apply my normal (and quick moving) lighting schemes to a family of four. Plus, the mother approached me saying she wanted to blow the photos up to 30x40" prints so I decided to use my 5dII instead of my 1dII - print size vs. af speed. I guess they are all different just because I didn't approach it as a family shoot.

@kidzmom - All of these were shot with lights. As for post processing, they were all done with presests I have made in Lightroom. Generally speaking, I like to add some more contrast (yes, even more contrast) crush the blacks a bit, and tweak the colors.

@lizzard - Come out to Yosemite and let's hang! The truth is, most people are far from comfortable in front of the camera. But once I start showing them what I'm doing (they have no idea what crazy things are running though my head) they start to see the possibilities. From there, it's about building them up and keeping things in a good grove. On this shoot, the son tripped at one point and got a bad set of splinters in his hand. It was a bit touchy for me to balance the flow of the shoot, the health/mood of the son, and parents expectations. Let's just say you should always keep a lollipop nearby.

@Kinkajou -The lighting is definitely warm, I think I used a 1/2 CTO on all of these.
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    stunning photos. love the personality and style in them all. clap.gif
    Kristen
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Great set!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    These are fantastic!!!!!!!! WOWEE WOW WOW!!

Curious if you shoot in medium format or what! Tell me what your gear is like!! i want me a lens like that!! lol!! Stupendous!!

Cheers!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    @Briggie At the moment my camera of choice is a 5DII. This may sound like a load of crap given that I primarily shoot with all L lenses, but I make a lens decision based on focal length 90% of the time. I am not a sharpness freak. On the contrary, I feel like many of my images are soft, but that's how I roll. The main reasons I use L lenses are build quality and open apertures. For the record...

1. Taken with 16-35II
    2. Original 85L
    3. 16-35II
    4. 70-200

I use the 16-35 and 70-200 about 75% of the time, again, because I like the field of view. There are definitely sharper and better lenses, but this fits my style and vision.
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Wow bowdown.gif

#1 - That kid must have loved to see that picture -- he looks like hes flying.
    #4 - Great family portrait - they look so happy!
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Such a great eye you have....another quality set! thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    I love that third one you captured a genuine moment there.
    The first one is really cool, the composition and combination of elements in the photo with the kid having a blast really works.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Beautiful stuff and use of the flash+sun. bowdown.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    Great stuff here, I'm sure they love the photos!
  • BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    These are incredible!!
    bowdown.gif